Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
Gods are obviously personifications of psychic forces, but it depends what we mean by "man-made". Are dreams man-made?
They're an aspect experienced by us. I don't know if we can be meaningful said to create our dreams

Some things to consider:

If you are overcome by rage you might do something stupid. Later you calm down and you say "I don't know what went into me". Is rage man-made?
That's a state experienced by us. I don't know if by man-made, you mean something which is created by Man, or something which is experienced by Man.
You meet a beautiful girl and fall in love so that you loose your mind and you can't work and only think about her. Is erotic love man-made?
That's a state experienced by us. I don't know if by man-made, you mean something which is created by Man, or something which is experienced by Man.
I've read that there is also a backwards movement were gods regress. They go from gods to heros to characters in literature/ entertainment.

I think that at least for more secular people Jesus has regressed from the redeemer archetype with actual spiritual content to become some kind of general "good guy" that he is now. The spiritual content of Christianity has been lost and we are left with only the message of love.
My understanding of Christianity that it is primarily a message of hate. There is nothing loving about "follow me or be punished".