Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
There are no type-related books. Think about some interest you may have, or something you may be curious about, then Google away or browse Amazon for titles relating to pertinent topics.

And ignore any condescending responses to your post. Reading should be something you feel encouraged to do to, not shamed.
Well, if I was condescending or shaming, I apologize. I did spend some time directly communicating with ReiLing before when s/he posted about a paper for this class, but there wasn't enough information on offer for me to be of any help.

A lot of my frustration on this topic is related to having worked in book publishing and education, two fields that both happen to be relevant to his posts about this class.

Not everyone has to be deeply into reading; some of the people I'm most fond of are not literary types (and some are extremely so). That said, I see learning to read well and write well as elements of learning to think well.

ReiLing seems, in posting about this class, to feel unconfident in it. That's unfortunate. A teacher ideally will give students the tools they need to feel confident in a given course. But if the teacher does not, it's up to the students to bootstrap. If students in general are disengaged, it probably results from lousy education practices, and from intelligence being defined too narrowly. But students, by the time they are old enough to be self-directed, are ultimately responsible for their learning. Hence my harshness.