Threaded View

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Drug Legalization & Regulation - no ad hominems please

I believe that all drugs should be gradually legalized into regulated markets. Why?

The War on Drugs causes more harms than it prevents. There is no major study showing that legalization decreases use nor harms of use. It's quite clear that it's very expensive "war" economically and socially.
    Instead of having to go through all my arguments, I'll just list them briefly and wait for you to attack my views (please do).
    Legalization and regulation would:
    -Create taxation and employment as drugs are bought at legal dispensaries
    -Decrease underage use as the dispenseries would have to ask ID
    -Dramatically decrease black market and criminality involved
    -Dramatically decrease the social exclusion and sigmatization as users are not afraid to seek help if they have a problem with their use
    -Leave the police with more meaningful tasks than to invade the privacy of non-violent citizens
    -Putting the education off the counter-progressive fear tactics and to the form of "If you use, do it responsibly"
    -Dramatically decrease harms of use as users have more know-how
    -Potentially decrease use as the drug use is being understood as a health issue, not a criminal one
    -Quality control

I'm not saying that drugs are not that bad, I'm saying that the War on Drugs ain't making anything easier. We should be looking at the policy that is the most effective in harm reduction. And it is utopistic to think drugs will go away if you just put enough money in it.

I will expand my arguments, but for now: attack me.
    Last edited by Aquagraph; 11-04-2011 at 04:23 PM.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden