Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Fi PoLR - Misunderstood

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    yeah I don't know. age could have something to do with it too. Like an older, mature SLE might know through experience that he should try to evaluate the emotions of others, especially in his important relationships, even if he's not good at it. for instance, the SLE I'm friends with (who is older) will sometimes ask me if I'm okay if I sigh or give a look. I mean, not very often but I can tell he notices my emotional state and will sometimes just ask straight out. but not if we're in a crowd, only if we're alone or on the phone. *shrug*
    I think you may be onto something there.

Let me get back to you in twenty years time and I'll let you know how my relationships have evolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssmall View Post
    To me Fi is more about relationships and links, than emotional states, the level of relationships and its type. To me emotional state of a person is more temporary, something that can change more quickly. Evaluation of it probably relates to Fe as it seems to be more flexible. I guess I just dislike the way its worded, maybe the essence is the same.
    I guess you're right.

Id say weak Fi manifests in ENTp's and ESTp's differently. First ones can be too friendly with people who don't care about them and be too cold with one's that do but aren't showing it. ESTp's I think can overstep personal boundaries and they do so if it suits them, however not always conciously. Not sure if I can put it in better words. Maybe that's not how you see/feel it, but then Id be interested on whats your take on it.
    I completely agree with this. I think we have an innate issue with treating everyone like our "friends". I remember a cringeworthy moment where I walked into this guy's room at a party, and started scrolling through his Media Player to see what music he was into. He was in the room at the time, with some friends, and he asked me to leave repeatedly, and I just said I wanted to check his music out. Then someone came in who he let through, and I said "that's nepotism", and I told him to look it up the next day.

The worst part was I went upstairs and did the same again in someone else's room. I was forcibly removed this time. Obviously part of it was drunkenness, but part of it was definitely something else - it was about a complete disregard for personal relations. The very fact that I brought this guy up on "nepotism" was testament to the fact that I was completely unable to see the reason why he would let a friend into his room and not me.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's funny, Ezra. Yeah I think my SLE friend can be a little bit that way. I used to think he thought we were better friends than we were. And now that we ARE better friends, it sometimes feels like he didn't get the memo and things haven't changed for him even though they kinda have, from my perspective. hard to describe. It's like he has a static view of our relationship and I have a dynamic view.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's funny, Ezra. Yeah I think my SLE friend can be a little bit that way. I used to think he thought we were better friends than we were. And now that we ARE better friends, it sometimes feels like he didn't get the memo and things haven't changed for him even though they kinda have, from my perspective. hard to describe. It's like he has a static view of our relationship and I have a dynamic view.
    Yeah, I can imagine.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Aggressor want is a Sensor want - something you want to have or do, not a relationship or an emotional reaction to something. The relationship necessary to "have" that person would be more difficult for an SLE.

Note that this is probably related to Tactical/Strategic, so an creative would have more difficulty knowing what they want.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always loved that poem (in your sig), Starfall.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Pretend like it's the weekend Banana Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ssmall View Post
    To me Fi is more about relationships and links, than emotional states, the level of relationships and its type. To me emotional state of a person is more temporary, something that can change more quickly. Evaluation of it probably relates to Fe as it seems to be more flexible. I guess I just dislike the way its worded, maybe the essence is the same.

Id say weak Fi manifests in ENTp's and ESTp's differently. First ones can be too friendly with people who don't care about them and be too cold with one's that do but aren't showing it. ESTp's I think can overstep personal boundaries and they do so if it suits them, however not always conciously. Not sure if I can put it in better words. Maybe that's not how you see/feel it, but then Id be interested on whats your take on it.
    This.
    ILE-Ti
    6w7 sx/sp (low level of confidence)

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

yeah I don't know. age could have something to do with it too. Like an older, mature SLE might know through experience that he should try to evaluate the emotions of others, especially in his important relationships, even if he's not good at it. for instance, the SLE I'm friends with (who is older) will sometimes ask me if I'm okay if I sigh or give a look. I mean, not very often but I can tell he notices my emotional state and will sometimes just ask straight out. but not if we're in a crowd, only if we're alone or on the phone. *shrug*
    When I was a lot young, I used to always ask if people were okay. In groups, in crowds, etc etc. .. blah blah

But then I also used to be like "What the fuck's wrong with you" to people, and sometimes people would "point out" to me, that I'd make a big deal out of "little" things. Like one little doubt, or one little uncertainty, before people had even "realised" themself that they were unsure, I was already wanting to "resolve" the problem. And that sometimes I should just let things play out. And let people come to realise themself.

Anyway, I suppose when I realised what I was doing, I would back off a little. But I think it has something to do with a kind of uncertainty that people will deal with things on their own probably... a lack of faith in others ...

It's like other people have to keep "showing" that they'll deal on their own, that they'll get by. That they're not useless.

But yeah, maybe I'm different because I like doing that with "more" people rather than less. And I don't like giving people too much attention or they kind of get a little hampered by it. And it can be suffocating.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wanting to resolve the problem..... yeah... get all the doubts out of the way to make way for action.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

or just to make me more comfortable.

around the same time i had the notion that girls didn't like action -- their heart may race a little, and they may get self-conscious
    and want to do something "safe". like gossip about what other people are doing.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    or just to make me more comfortable.
    eh, okay. (I just wanted an excuse to use that "indifferent" icon, hehe)
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

eh, okay. (I just wanted an excuse to use that "indifferent" icon, hehe)
    what indifferent icon. the icons are so small.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

redbaron .. if you're indifferent you must be hiding something bigger ..

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

redbaron .. if you're indifferent you must be hiding something bigger ..
    sounds like you want it resolved. :wink:
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

sounds like you want it resolved. :wink:
    want what resolved.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

want what resolved.
    I dunno, the mystery of what I'm hiding, that's bigger.

it was just a joke. fell flat.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

I dunno, the mystery of what I'm hiding, that's bigger.

it was just a joke. fell flat.
    Well resolving it wasn't much fun. Unsolved mysteries are more fun

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    An SLE I know will have completely different opinions about whether or not he likes people every day of the week. Something someone does will send him into a heartfelt declaration that he can't deal with someone's way of life; then the next day, he'll say, "Oh no, he's ok, I don't mind him." I thought it was Fi-PoLR combined with Ni-seeking (being too caught up in the moment to see the overall nature of his relationships with other people).
    lol, maybe my EIE housemate is SLE after all - he does this exactly.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    An SLE I know will have completely different opinions about whether or not he likes people every day of the week. Something someone does will send him into a heartfelt declaration that he can't deal with someone's way of life; then the next day, he'll say, "Oh no, he's ok, I don't mind him." I thought it was Fi-PoLR combined with Ni-seeking (being too caught up in the moment to see the overall nature of his relationships with other people).
    I DO THIS

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    I used to get kind of told off for it.

Although when *I* tell people off they seem to cower and want to get away more. For me it's more like uhh, that's nice dear.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to get kind of told off for it.

Although when *I* tell people off they seem to cower and want to get away more. For me it's more like uhh, that's nice dear.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Creepy-

Default Fi-PoLR and unintentionally leading people on

I have seen Fi-PoLR discussed here in connection with accidentally offending others or accidentally damaging Fi bonds with them, and obviously in not being sure of them in the first place... I'm not sure I've seen it discussed in quite this way, though. Here is what I've been observing:

There's an ILE guy who recently broke up with his girlfriend of more than a year [they're both pretty young]. They still talk and hang out regularly, and he considers them to be "just friends," while she has openly said that she wants to be involved w him romantically. The thing is, the ILE - seemingly without realizing it - appears [to me] to be leading her on. They still talk and hang out regularly, and he does sweet things just for her [for example, today was her birthday, and he baked her a cake and took her out to dinner, just the two of them]. But he still considers her a friend and thinks of himself as indisputably single [he's not dating anyone else, but I get the impression that he would if he met someone he considered special].

When I see them together I can tell that she is holding onto hope that they will get back together [and maybe she even thinks they are together in a way], while he says they are not and will not get together again. What do you think - I am thinking this is an example of weak Fi blinding the ILE to the fact that the things he is doing and the way he is behaving are affecting her impression of the relationship... thoughts? Has anyone else observed something like this?

EDIT: And there's always the possibility that he is aware of what he is doing and is playing some kind of game, but I know him pretty well and don't think that is the case; he seemed genuinely surprised and a little dismayed when I suggested that he might be making her think that he wants more than friendship bc of the way he acts.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is exactly what I perceived with my friend in high school. It's like he didn't know that by his actions he was leading a girl on. He is very openly affectionate to people.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

op's bogus. here is why: nobody would date an ile.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    And why is that? Unless you are saying that as a joke.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

has anyone ever dated you? How did it go?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep i think weak and or unvalued Fi. it's the same w gift giving. being unsure if you are close enough w someone to be giving them gifts.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoapOfSapphire View Post
    EDIT: And there's always the possibility that he is aware of what he is doing and is playing some kind of game, but I know him pretty well and don't think that is the case; he seemed genuinely surprised and a little dismayed when I suggested that he might be making her think that he wants more than friendship bc of the way he acts.
    ILE's and SLE's do tend to do this a lot, where they'll be bewildered as to why someone said or reacted to them a certain way since they had no idea they had crossed any "boundaries", so to speak
    Being Fi PoLR must be a life full of surprises, not knowing how someone will react...maybe they'll laugh, get angry, blush, smack you. It's a barrel of fun!
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Marie84 View Post
    It's a barrel of fun!
    Or bewilderment, both at your own feelings and the feelings of others. And insecurity too.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or an LII for that matter.

Jason

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh, when love matters are at stake if is quite situational how I act. Normally I still show quite some attention which gradually declines and there are certain emotional distance I keep straight away in order not to confuse the person. In other words I act more colder and gradually spend less time. However sometimes people still manage to imagine they can come back into my life and when I see it I offer to break any contact and explain it would be easier for everyone (that happened only once actually, but it did). Either way I knew how to keep distance and not hurt people more or bring false hope.

And maybe this is projection but I tend to assume people see those things the same way I do, which can lead me to be a little shy sometimes at the beginning of a relationship if I'm not sure how the other person feels, lest I show them how much I like them w things that would be clear indications in my mind [but in reality probably not so much to someone else], only to freak them out or make myself too vulnerable.... which is kind of funny bc they are probably not thinking of those things in the same way at all, so that "risk" is more in my own head....
    Heh, I always appear shy in the beginning and after thinking how I appear I am very much the same way. Thing is I don't feel myself as shy per se, I just keep safe distance and am not showing my true self, being tactful and sort of "neutral". It takes time before I feel myself freely and I know the person.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoapOfSapphire View Post
    I have seen Fi-PoLR discussed here in connection with accidentally offending others or accidentally damaging Fi bonds with them, and obviously in not being sure of them in the first place... I'm not sure I've seen it discussed in quite this way, though. Here is what I've been observing:

There's an ILE guy who recently broke up with his girlfriend of more than a year [they're both pretty young]. They still talk and hang out regularly, and he considers them to be "just friends," while she has openly said that she wants to be involved w him romantically. The thing is, the ILE - seemingly without realizing it - appears [to me] to be leading her on. They still talk and hang out regularly, and he does sweet things just for her [for example, today was her birthday, and he baked her a cake and took her out to dinner, just the two of them]. But he still considers her a friend and thinks of himself as indisputably single [he's not dating anyone else, but I get the impression that he would if he met someone he considered special].

When I see them together I can tell that she is holding onto hope that they will get back together [and maybe she even thinks they are together in a way], while he says they are not and will not get together again. What do you think - I am thinking this is an example of weak Fi blinding the ILE to the fact that the things he is doing and the way he is behaving are affecting her impression of the relationship... thoughts? Has anyone else observed something like this?

This is really weird and ironic you brought this up. I was just reflecting on how I think I do this. It's happened on more than one occasion with girls who I've just been friendly toward and also with gay guys who I simply wanted to be friendly with, and nothing more. I feel like though with the latter it gets even more difficult for the other person because if I'm friends with a gay guy, when I'm talking with him, a lot of the time I forget he's even gay, so I'm just talking with him with the kind of relaxed-ness that I would another straight male, being casual, laid back, even jokingly jabbing. So I guess I can imagine how that could be taken. Whereas when I'm talking with a girl who I don't want to be anything more than friends with, I still talk to them like a girl, and idk, it's still not quite as relaxed and inhibition free as when I bullshit with male friends.

But overall with this stuff and where relationships and boundaries stand, I generally need them explicitly defined, and usually look to even explicitly define them myself to avoid confusion. Probably being a 6 adds to this.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes. you've hit the nail on the head.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Fi polr

i'm so down and pessimistic on it right now.

maybe i'm just focusing too much on the negative aspects i've seen from it... how easily opportunistic they are even at the expense of other's feelings... how they can view relationships as transient and impermanent and disposable... disrespecting boundaries... thinking they're in love when they're really not... hurting you (badly) first to avoid getting hurt themselves...

tell me something good about it!

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Um...you're not inconveniently affected by others' feelings.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh crap. I hope it wasn't something I did.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably the most entertaining T type. Will do all your shit for you? Te-demo
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    What do you think about the following? Okay, it's not good per se, but it's explanatory I think:
    So Fi-PoLRs just ignore relationship problems? Kind like just hoping it goes away?

How do IFp's feel about this? lol
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Sounds like SLEs just end it, while ILE tries to smooth things out and will forgive. It's from that Reinin paper I've been skimming through. Haven't decided what I think about it yet.
    That can't be right.. How does SLE/IEI work if SLE will just leave if there is a problem?

Do you think it could be that IEI will make distance when problems arise putting SLE in pursuit mode? I could see that. Maybe it's similar with ILE/SEI?

Personally, I love working out relationship problems, but I need all feelings out on the table so that I can do something. I'm thinking that xEIs don't typically come out with their real feelings or put much emphasis on them in relationships and that xLE/xEI just ignore their problems and let Fe smooth everything out.

"As long as we're having fun then there's no problem."
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something good about it? I can supply it!
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    That can't be right.. How does SLE/IEI work if SLE will just leave if there is a problem?

Do you think it could be that IEI will make distance when problems arise putting SLE in pursuit mode? I could see that. Maybe it's similar with ILE/SEI?

Personally, I love working out relationship problems, but I need all feelings out on the table so that I can do something. I'm thinking that xEIs don't typically come out with their real feelings or put much emphasis on them in relationships and that xLE/xEI just ignore their problems and let Fe smooth everything out.
    Yeah.. just spread peanut butter in the cracks. lol Why are you talking like Fi is about real feelings and Fe isn't?
    "As long as we're having fun then there's no problem."
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast