Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deltas what do you do for a living?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Thanks but why do you assume I wouldn't be doing anything meaningful? Does meaningful always have to equal a 9-5 job doing some boring shit you hate? Honestly I think Id make a really good homeless person...not saying it'll come to that but the people I've met in California and just seeing how open everyone is and accepting has changed my life a lot. Meeting people who are 100% ok with as little as they have is really eyeopening. If only it were the 70's.
    Truth. I saw the same thing when I went to Africa. Most of U.S. culture is really twisted in its priorities.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    You can get a weed card here and it's legal which I will be doing on April 8, 2013.
    Why would you do that??? you are a smart, gorgeous, capable person, Jessica129. do something meaningful with your life, dont waste it hiding in mind-altered incapacitation...

I know a lot of people who function better on medical marijuana. And to get back on point, my neighbor (who might be LII?) grows medical marijuana (makes very good money, too). Perhaps that could be a career for you, Jessica?
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post

Why would you do that??? you are a smart, gorgeous, capable person, Jessica129. do something meaningful with your life, dont waste it hiding in mind-altered incapacitation...

I know a lot of people who function better on medical marijuana. And to get back on point, my neighbor (who might be LII?) grows medical marijuana (makes very good money, too). Perhaps that could be a career for you, Jessica?
    Wow thanks for the idea haha

TIM
    EII Ne, 6w5 sp/sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by walker31 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joven Erudito89 View Post

Same here.
    Everyone i know went straight from high school to college or they are already married with kids. What do you plan on studying?
    Nutrition.
    Sounds great!
    I thought about doing that too.
    It just has too much chemistry for my taste Are you going to become a dietitian or get into research as well?
    EII, INFj Intuitive subtype (The Teacher)

6w5 Type Stacking: Sp/Sx/So

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I aim to influence the world as much as possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Currently, I am finishing up my summer research project.

Whilst doing this I will be entering the final year of my undergraduate degree. I plan to pursue a Master's in the same discipline afterwards.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP View Post
    How so?
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People have such interesting jobs! Awesome.

I am a social worker by profession, right now I direct a large program at a federal government agency. I have been in my field for 23 years...wouldmhave to say I love it even though I bitch about work all the time. It def is not boring!

April and workaholics...I have also noticed that work groups tend to become intra quadra dominant. Right now there are a number of alphas who are in my management group, so it's pretty comfortable at least for work. I have worked in gamma dominant places and got along ok. In my last job, it was a delta environment and I did not fit there at all, even though I did some of the best work of my career there. It was a relief to get out of that one. Didn't help that there was quite a close distance there.....and the Fi valuing sucked. Anyway you'd think that delta and alpha would get along pretty well at work but I did not find that to be the case.

The team I supervise is alpha and beta. A few deltas but overall more of an Fe crowd which is much better for me.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Coming out of the lurkers cove, I guess.

I'm getting my bachelors in electrical engineering. When I do get a job, it'd be awesome to get anything that deals with design/research/development. Probably something in signal processing, controls, or anything digital (I've had the most fun with those classes so far). I'm still not clear on what those fields actually entail, but its something to start with. Ideally, I'd be some sort of field engineer who gets to do some hands-on stuff with the projects, but if I had to, only designing is fine. As long as I get to see the end product.

I've been told that the path to make crazy money in engineering is to work your way into a decent sized to large company, work a bit, go back for an MBA, and then work management. $100k+ a year is then possible. But seriously, fuck all that mess. If I was in it only for the money I'd have gone into an easier engineering program than electrical, but they're all far too lame in comparison I'd not want to work in management anyway. Seems like a bunch of tools, I hate managing people, and you no longer do actual engineering work.

Should for some reason I no longer want to do that...I'd probably go to a trade school for carpentry. Maybe become a mechanic, something where I work with my hands would be pretty entertaining. Maybe become a beer brewer and open my own small local bar (I'd have to look into it first though, pretty sure laws would add some extra pain to the process).

Since type seems to be important, I've self typed as SLI. Thought about ILE for a while...leaning more towards SLI. Delta seems chill.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    How so?
    to take what I said seriously, which I do, it's been a lot of calculating as to what is going on in the world and how I can enact the type of influence I want; do I just want "magnitude", no, I don't.

I've tried to figure out what pressing issues are in the world, what limitations and possibilities are, and related things about humanity, human nature, etc.

So I've selected different ways to go about seeking employment, developing relationships, and going about my daily life.

The related "why" question is perhaps best answered by: Because it's the most entertaining thing for me to do, the most curious thing for me to pursue, and the most interesting way for me to test my abilities and interact with life.

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing, the Federal government takes care of me. Well I shouldn't say nothing, I volunteer on skid row in downtown LA.
    EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SupaClassy View Post
    Coming out of the lurkers cove, I guess.

I'm getting my bachelors in electrical engineering. When I do get a job, it'd be awesome to get anything that deals with design/research/development. Probably something in signal processing, controls, or anything digital (I've had the most fun with those classes so far). I'm still not clear on what those fields actually entail, but its something to start with. Ideally, I'd be some sort of field engineer who gets to do some hands-on stuff with the projects, but if I had to, only designing is fine. As long as I get to see the end product.

I've been told that the path to make crazy money in engineering is to work your way into a decent sized to large company, work a bit, go back for an MBA, and then work management. $100k+ a year is then possible. But seriously, fuck all that mess. If I was in it only for the money I'd have gone into an easier engineering program than electrical, but they're all far too lame in comparison I'd not want to work in management anyway. Seems like a bunch of tools, I hate managing people, and you no longer do actual engineering work.

Should for some reason I no longer want to do that...I'd probably go to a trade school for carpentry. Maybe become a mechanic, something where I work with my hands would be pretty entertaining. Maybe become a beer brewer and open my own small local bar (I'd have to look into it first though, pretty sure laws would add some extra pain to the process).

Since type seems to be important, I've self typed as SLI. Thought about ILE for a while...leaning more towards SLI. Delta seems chill.
    Neat! I am also working on getting a BSc in EE, except I've specialized into nanoengineering.

Signal processing has a lot of applications in (digital) media processing, (analog) communications, (digital & analog) filters, (mostly analog) sensors and the like. Controls is used for the coordination of systems; so, for example, all technology that is dependent on certain inputs or conditions (think: robotics, power systems, your oven). Digital, well, that entails many things. But in the context of your preferences, they are all interrelated, though you better know your programming for signal processing!

If you prefer the field, chances are you will be performing more management-related roles or act more as a technician than an engineer (which is fine, of course). If you are interested in design, you should expect more of a(n) office/cubicle style environment --here you may analyze data and make improvements from there, or design a product given strict guidelines specified by the company. These are the experiences of my fellow BSc engineers. Lowest starting wage I am aware of is $50, 000 CAD + full benefits; (third year) co-op students started at a minimum $18/hour up to $34/hour with, of course, a pay raise during their term.

MSc/PhD engineers have a bit more freedom, and usually make up majority of R&D (research and development) focused companies. Even those in management position, if they wish it so, are heavily involved in the engineering of a product. In my summer research job, I was able to design and test the product that our group wanted to develop. In this sense, I got the best of both words: design and 'field' work, which was really research. I have been told that starting wages start at around $100k for MSc graduates in a well-established company. Keep in mind that, if you pursue a graduate level degree, your supervisor also likely has connections to the industry of your interest (sometimes even funded by them). So if you perform well, you stand a very good chance of getting a high-salary entry level job.

Some more information about the BSc/MBA combination. If you go this route, you may be thwarted to a management or marketing position. In fact, from personally hearing from individuals who chose this path, if you have shown potential/interest in these roles, the company is even willing to pay for your MBA degree. So this option may not even be as messy as you may think! Although, people who deliberately choose this path (that is, get a BSc/MBA on their own) are hardly interested in engineering itself, but rather the business aspect of it. Those who end up in marketing still have great interest in the engineering of a product, but are usually not involved in the process. Instead, they know the technical specifics, but only required to know so much so that they are able to promote the end result.

Anyway, I know you didn't really ask for it, but I hope this post helped.

Good luck to you.

Note: Sorry for the digression.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MBAs are the root of all evil. Seriously, they're the most useless degree ever (note: when I talk about "useless", I refer to the knowledge acquired by obtaining the degree, not its social value).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

You must be really rich.
    huh? working as research assistant or labtech has never paid very well, not until you get many years of experience and some specialization or manage to slave it out for 5-6 years on 20K to get a PhD and then actually land job with that newly minted PhD (unemployment is higher for chem PhDs than those with just BS/MS) ... this is definitely not the kind of work people do for money but out of interest - feels more stimulating and worthwhile than pushing papers in some cubicle

Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    That looks uncannily like my fumehood. I have the exact same two brands of hotplates (well, almost - they have the stirrer-only version of one), the same Keck clips, and almost the same columns (judging from the tap it's a ChemGlass, which we don't have, but the group next to us does). I do my columns on the right and my reactions on the left though. Wow, the chemical equipment market must be tiny... we have different cork rings and squirt bottles, perhaps that's a saturated portion of the marketplace? Ha. Also we don't have black tubing.
    I think the entire chemistry community is rather tiny lol. But yeah I keep ordering stuff seemingly from the same 5 or 6 companies all of which should also have branches on the other side of the Pacific. So everywhere I've worked the equipment looks pretty standard, which is good imo, not need to reconfigure anything once you have figured out your preferred setup. I think only one place where I worked didn't come equipped like this, but that was because everyone else who was working there was with the biology department - I was the only chemist. But then my boss was like "we have too much money! you should buy stuff" and I was like "yes!" and so that place quickly got transformed into the same setup.
    Last edited by silke; 09-02-2011 at 08:56 AM.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

... Honestly I think Id make a really good homeless person...not saying it'll come to that but the people I've met in California and just seeing how open everyone is and accepting has changed my life a lot. Meeting people who are 100% ok with as little as they have is really eyeopening. If only it were the 70's.
    word, CA is really great in that sense

the area where i live right now in particular seems to have a lot of people who follow that kind of lifestyle - homeless, students, hippies, people living in communes, etc. this must be the liberal/hippie enclave of united states lol, though i honestly can't say that i want to live my life like that

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    You must be really rich.
    huh? working as research assistant or labtech has never paid very well, not until you get many years of experience and some specialization or manage to slave it out for 5-6 years on 20K to get a PhD and then actually land job with that newly minted PhD (unemployment is higher for chem PhDs than those with just BS/MS) ... this is definitely not the kind of work people do for money but out of interest - feels more stimulating and worthwhile than pushing papers in some cubicle
    Yeah I was going to say--didn't sound like siuntal was in the corporate sphere of pharma. Those guys might get paid well (especially up top on the ladder). Researchers are very underpaid. Though I imagine doing research in industry can pay slightly better than doing research at a similar level in academia.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    EII Ne, 6w5 sp/sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'll find your niche... I've always been interested in food and what's in it, and both the psychological and other aspects of diet, it's really been a lifelong passion. But it took me awhile to decide that I wanted to pursue a career in it. Im attracted to chemistry. I originally thought seriously about being a chemist, I wouldn't really enjoy it though, too impersonal. I also thought seriously about being a counselor, but I think hearing about abuse stories & personal problems all day would be too much for me. So, if you think about the nature of a dietician's work it mixes the two in a way thats just right for me.
    You sound like me.
    The counseling route would be, so draining every day. I never looked into that seriously, but that did cross my mind as well.

It sounds like what your chosen career path is a great fit for you. I hope you do really well!

Both if I can, but I want to become a dietician first for obvious reasons, to get experience plus it's abit more stable work at first.
    Yeah i see what you're saying.
    I think that is a great idea to work in the field before you start research. You'll have experience working with real patients. It might also give you more fresh ideas than people that went straight to research.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    MBAs are the root of all evil. Seriously, they're the most useless degree ever (note: when I talk about "useless", I refer to the knowledge acquired by obtaining the degree, not its social value).
    Agreed.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Greeter View Post
    Neat! I am also working on getting a BSc in EE, except I've specialized into nanoengineering.
    Really...

I may be doing something similar.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico1e View Post
    Me: McDonald's, of course. Many people here know that already. I enjoy the job because I get to actually cook the food, at high speed, efficiently. It's not like other places where I've worked, where everything is done inefficiently, or where there's hardly any work to do and I get to stand around being bored for hours. At McD, I'm surrounded by people all the time, too, so it's never lonely.
    Me: Also a restaurant, of course. A few people here know that already. I enjoy the job 'cause I get to run all over the place, talk with lots of people, and indirectly sorta keep everyone together and content (or at least as content as one could possibly be at work). It's not like other places where I've worked where everything is done sitting in front of a computer, poring over spreadsheets and databases and stuff 'til my legs go numb. At my current job, I rotate between six or seven spots, front and back (and road), so things never get too, too dangerously old.

Pluses
    - Non-stop interaction with people.
    - Non-stop observation of people.
    - A new friend every few days.
    - Single females.

Minuses
    - Perpetual physical exhaustion.
    - Burns. (And more burns.)
    - Impossibly light wallet.
    - "Single" females.

ILE (1) - Store Manager
    SEI (4) - Line Cook, Servers (3)
    ESE (6) - Store Manager, Bartender, Servers (2), Drivers (2)
    LII (2) - Store Manager, Line Cook

LSI (3) - Store Manager, Kitchen Manager, Server
    EIE (2) - Bartender, Hostess
    SLE (2) - Store Manager, Kitchen Manager, Driver
    IEI (4) - Line Cook, Server, Hostess, Driver

SEE (3) - Kitchen Manager, Bartender, Server
    LIE (1) - District Manager
    ESI (3) - Bartender, Prep Cook, Hostess
    ILI (1) - Line Cook

IEE (1) - Me
    EII (0) -
    LSE (4) - Owner, Prep Cook, Drivers (2)
    SLI (6) - Owner, Bartender, Line Cook, Prep Cook, Server, Driver
    What's the restaurant, if you don't mind. Y're in the ATL rite?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Greeter View Post
    Really...

I may be doing something similar.
    May I ask in what way? I am very curious.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right now I'm just starting college.
    My mom is fully supporting me, so i can focus my energy on my academics. I'm probably going to graduate with a Biology degree and become a scientist. I am open to other career paths though since i sometimes second guess if i should be a scientist.
    It's a lot better to get a degree that can actually help you get a job. And the thing about science degrees is that once you get a BS in science, you can transfer a lot of the essentials (Maths, etc) to other courses of study. It's also a good prep for ANY grad school, social sciences or natural sciences or law, etc.

If I could start over I'd have done something like that.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mom is fully supporting me, so i can focus my energy on my academics. I'm probably going to graduate with a Biology degree and become a scientist. I am open to other career paths though since i sometimes second guess if i should be a scientist.
    It's a lot better to get a degree that can actually help you get a job. And the thing about science degrees is that once you get a BS in science, you can transfer a lot of the essentials (Maths, etc) to other courses of study. It's also a good prep for ANY grad school, social sciences or natural sciences or law, etc.

What is that, like the stereotypical ESTJ old man advice. Lol.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YOURE DAMN RIGHT IT IS

Kids these days....
    *shuffles unevenly towards living room*
    *sits in large recliner*
    *passes out*

It's also how I feel after looking at what my current job prospects are in regard to my education

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YOURE DAMN RIGHT IT IS

Kids these days....
    *sits in large recliner*
    *passes out*

It's also how I feel after looking at what my current job prospects are in regard to my education
    Like i've told you before, you can go into medicine from any college background. Might need to take a few premed courses first if you havent already. excellent job security as there is a dire shortage of physicians. That's not bound to change anytime soon. Getting into med school is the hardest part (in the sense of being most unpredictable), depending on your stats.
    Last edited by Suz; 09-02-2011 at 05:49 PM.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks but why do you assume I wouldn't be doing anything meaningful? Does meaningful always have to equal a 9-5 job doing some boring shit you hate?
    Well my point is, u can't be functioning at 100% when ur mind-altered or craving it. Nobody is. So why waste yourself on such an unproductive thing?

And no, meaningful DEFINITELY does not equate to a boring 9-5 job that you hate. I think the problem is that the boredom of your current job has so grated on you that it's affected you profoundly, and that's why you're thinking of ways to escape.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YOURE DAMN RIGHT IT IS

Kids these days....
    *sits in large recliner*
    *passes out*

Like i've told you before, you can go into medicine from any college background. Might need to take a few premed courses first if you havent already. excellent job security as there is a dire shortage of physicians. That's not bound to change anytime soon. Getting into med school is the hardest part (in the sense of being most unpredictable), depending on your stats.
    I don't remember you tellingme that particularly.
    Medical field isn't my bag though. I leave it to people like youuuuu

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People escape in all sorts of ways: reading fiction books, playing video games, online forums/chats, sleeping, drinking, eating, sex, prescription drugs, etc etc.

I wouldn't necessarily associate smoking weed with 'escape'.
    Isn't it also a social thing? Like people who party with their friends may bond while drinking, or like smoke breaks where some smokers hang out and chat together?

Who's to say that the weed doesn't provide a beneficial effect that someone may seek prescription drugs for?

But then, I've never done illegal drugs, never wanted to. I'm sure there's alot of motivations and attractions to it that I'm not aware of.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks but why do you assume I wouldn't be doing anything meaningful? Does meaningful always have to equal a 9-5 job doing some boring shit you hate?
    Well my point is, u can't be functioning at 100% when ur mind-altered or craving it. Nobody is. So why waste yourself on such an unproductive thing?

And no, meaningful DEFINITELY does not equate to a boring 9-5 job that you hate. I think the problem is that the boredom of your current job has so grated on you that it's affected you profoundly, and that's why you're thinking of ways to escape.
    Nothing is existentially meaningful. We are all going to die sooner or later, and the heat-death of the universe means that whatever future we may want to build it will also die, sooner or later. So I don't think meaningfulness is the answer, but rather a mixture of enjoyment and long-lasting satisfaction.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    What's the restaurant, if you don't mind. Y're in the ATL rite?
    Very rite! (...Though, technically, I live and work OTP.)

Not quite the pinnacle of fine dining, to be fair; but if you're in the mood for California-style pizza (and a semi-classy-ish atmosphere) over VPN/NY/Chicago/Domino's, it's pretty solid.

FWIW, were I financially able, I'd eat nothing but by-the-book NY-style every single meal, each and every day 'til my gut burst; but I do nearly the same with this stuff and I'm still a fairly happy, well-rounded guy.
    My fav pizza place.. everything is just perfect. Beta run and operated tho.

This sounds like a nice neighborhood place. Delta owners seems spot on.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Antico Pizza looks like a real italian pizzeria. All the others...bleurghhhh

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Nothing is existentially meaningful. We are all going to die sooner or later, and the heat-death of the universe means that whatever future we may want to build it will also die, sooner or later. So I don't think meaningfulness is the answer, but rather a mixture of enjoyment and long-lasting satisfaction.
    I think personal meaning is largely hard to evaluate and often not worth contemplating, I rather be meaningful to someone else.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    People escape in all sorts of ways: reading fiction books, playing video games, online forums/chats, sleeping, drinking, eating, sex, prescription drugs, etc etc.

I wouldn't necessarily associate smoking weed with 'escape'.
    Isn't it also a social thing? Like people who party with their friends may bond while drinking, or like smoke breaks where some smokers hang out and chat together?
    True good points.

TIM
    EII Ne, 6w5 sp/sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Thanks for the advice!
    I'll try to remember that when i declare my major. Would a biology degree be too general though? That is why i second guess a BS in biology. I thought of getting a degree in Clinical laboratory science. The problem i have is i can't stand the sight of blood, and i think I will have to deal with blood if i get into that field.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bio engineering is big.
    As WA said, so is the medical field. You should be able to find jobs there.

Check out the projected growth for job areas...
    http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos047.htm - if you want to get a job in the US.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post

Then I had a kid, and thankfully was placed on the disability just before she was born. The past 16 years have been spent trying to gain some kind of sanity/stability for myself, and trying to help my daughter through what she was going through (only recently finally learning some of what that was).
    Ann, sorry to hear this. Can I ask out of curiosity what was happening with your daughter, or is it too personal to say out in front of everyone?

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shayley View Post
    An interesting thread of which I especially enjoyed reading the post by Anndelise.

I'm not sure how honest I want to be in this thread and I'm probably not a Delta type but part of me would like to share my struggles in the area of money making and part of me would just like to gloss over the difficult parts and and share the positive.

Ok, tears are coming to my eyes so I won't share for now...
    Am I hitting my own Polr somehow...? Probably
    I don't blame people if they have a hard time making enough money to get by. In fact I believe it's not our fault that it's so hard to do. The price of rent, and food, and gas, and everything, is too high. And jobs are not easily available for everyone. So we blame ourselves or other people blame us, but there are so many things we don't have control over.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nico1e View Post
    Ann, sorry to hear this. Can I ask out of curiosity what was happening with your daughter, or is it too personal to say out in front of everyone?
    Last year the new High School counselor got so many questions and requests from my daughter's teachers, that finally the school psychologist was brought in to question everyone and try to find out what was going on. The diagnosis is moderate to severe autism. ...and she's vastly improved from when she was a baby!!

Noone thought to consider that because of her extrovertedness. And each time I sought help regarding her, the attention was directed at checking for bipolar and borderline behaviors, which runs in my family, both sides.

At the time she was conceived, I'd been going through what I refer to as 'the great cocktail experiment' in which the psychiatric students of the clinic my insurance would pay for were trying me on a variety of different drugs. I didn't know I was pregnant until I was 5 months along.

At about 7 months, I fell through the floor of the trailer I was renting. Intense pain, some blood, but I was going through some legal and financial stuff and didn't get to the dr for a checkup. At 8 months she was born. The contractions were cutting off her oxygen supply and they kept losing her vital signs. During all this, we discovered that that pain I had gone through was the sac separating from the uterus too early.

From day one she would have episodes of what looked like extreme pain, screaming, stiffened body, non-awareness of anything else, and very easily over-stimulated by even small sounds. She didn't like to be held. She had significant language delays. She wasn't stupid by any means. In fact, I had bought myself a puzzle similar to that traffic jam game. It used safari animals and jeep instead. She was 4yo. She liked animals and was interested in the game, so I showed her how to play, using the beginners one which was for age 8 up (the rest were for 12up, and the advanced for adult levels). She zipped through the levels until she got a few into the most advanced puzzles of the set. It took her four days. It was all she did. She even dreamed of the puzzle.

But she couldn't handle changes unless they were done by her initiative. She'd have a melt down if I altered my path in the store, or if I changed my hair style, or if her class was changing tasks, etc. Her teachers were having to rearrange their schedules and methods to reduce her melt-downs. And there IS a difference between a melt-down and throwing a fit!! She was...still is but not as severe...'rules based'. At almost 2 yo, we were moving to WA. I was driving. I had set up her seat and area so that when night came, and she slept, she could sleep safely laying down. So night came, she kept dozing, her head/neck jerking because she couldn't get into a sleeping position. So I pulled into a rest area, unbuckled her, layed her down, made sure she was safe, she cuddled into her toy dog, and fell asleep fast. Then I started the car, and started to pull out of the parking lot. She groggily woke up, and dragged herself back to her seat, and tried to buckle herself in. A few more attempts at trying to get her to lay down and sleep while I drove was futile. Even now, she refuses to go even 4 blocks without her seatbelt on.

Now, imagine this poor girl with a mother who's only consistency...is being inconsistent.
    And imagine a mother who's inconsistent and (was) barely stable, single parenting a child who desperately needed consistency.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, the great cocktail experiment. If you want to see me explode and start shooting flames in all directions, then by all means, talk about the subject of drugs and what they do to people and their children. ... However, this has been a really great work-related thread so far and I've really enjoyed reading everyone's responses, so I will have to redirect the exploding flames elsewhere for now. Another time, another place, I'll get on the subject of drugs again.

(This is kind of a Fe-PoLR thing. If I go back and look again I'm sure I'll find some examples of people who work in drug-related industries, and if so, please try to ignore me.)

"Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eat, Sleep, Shit...you know...the usual.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast