Hybrid View

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Ni-Based husband is one of the WORST people I know for time estimation. He is chronically late for everything, or would be if I didn't have the opposite habit of trying to be early for everything-- as a result, put us together and we're usually right on time.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I'm awesome at time estimation, good at scheduling action; my dual is better at planning and keeping me committed to these plans and not letting me divert or get distracted. My mom, an Ni base, gets locked into images that might happen or go wrong if I don't take care of certain things, acting like a prophet in the way she pushes me to do certain things, telling me what events might unfold if I don't take care of the things I need to NOW for the sake of the future.

I'm also darn great at calming fears associated with not making certain things by time, too.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    My mom, an Ni base, ... telling me ... take care of the things I need to NOW ...
    Sounds like a parent (no matter the type).

....By the way, getting back to the study that Ashton mentioned, that gives me an idea. If it's true that Socionics temperament affects the degree to which ones energy level is stable and predictable, this could be a reason for why some rational types of all quadras (especially Ij types) may be better at time estimation.

If Ij means a person is "even keel" in the sense that one day is pretty much like any other day (at least in terms of energy), and if the study is correct that the reason we incorrectly estimate time is that "because every day's a little different," then that would suggest that Ij types would be less prone to the kind of time underestimation mentioned in the study...whereas types that have bigger "swings" would be more prone.

Of course that leaves open the question which types have the wilder swings and which are more "stable." For example, Ip types are irrational but also static. ESEs tend to be known for being a bit unpredictable, so maybe that would also intensify the effect...
    Last edited by Jonathan; 06-30-2011 at 03:15 AM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    My mom, an Ni base, ... telling me ... take care of the things I need to NOW ...
    Sounds like a parent (no matter the type).
    My SLI dad never does those things; he's too into his relaxing world to take what I do seriously, like my mom.

I also wanted to add to my post that my LSE bf is like my mom in that when there's something he wants me to do, he'll remind me, several times. No wonder why I'm also attracted to by benefit ILI, because they act in a lot of ways like my dual.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Various people and time:

Dad is EIE and is always really early, but he has OCD and it makes him feel a need to get places like an hour early or something. It was awful when I was a kid because he'd take me to my orthodontist appointments an hour early and I always felt like a fool.

Mom is LIE and seems to have a good sense of timing, but it's hard to think of her on her own and not associate with my dad so I'm not sure.

Sister is EII and is always very early but I think she got that habit from my dad.

Brother is ESI and is either really bad with estimating time and getting places on time, or is passive aggressive and uses being late as a way to get what he wants. I haven't decided. Once we were going to meet him for dinner. He wanted to meet at 7, and I said I have a 2-year-old and cant' do dinner that late, so maybe 5:30. He agreed, but didn't come until 7 anyway. Did he misjudge time or was he being an ass?

Husband is SLI and is really good at estimating how long it takes to get from here to any given place, and I'll often ask him about that. But he is really bad about estimating how long it will take him to complete tasks, so I don't pay attention to his estimates and just judge for myself how long it's likely to take. Also, if he tells me he'll be home by 6, he will not be home until like 7:30. I don't think that's not being able to estimate as much as not being worried about what time he gets home though, as if he needs to pick up our daughter at 6, he is always there on time.

I am generally good but I'm a bit flakey and forget what time I have to be someplace, or I get distracted and set back a bit and end up leaving late. But I know if my husband says his job is going to take 2 hours if it's really going to take a whole day or maybe a bit of a second day, even though I don't do that kind of work. I'm very good at estimating how long it takes to do stuff even if I don't do it. Not good at estimating how long it takes to drive from one place to another.

Maybe this is just random.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.