Hybrid View

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Being rude is a pretty clear sign of Fi PoLR, which would explain why he pissed you off so much.
    No. In fact it's the other way around, like Lobo said, if you willingly participate in such ceremony, it doesn't make sense to distrupt it, even more so for Fi-PoLRs. When you're forced to do that - something that doesn't make sense to you, it's a different matter - where I agree a Fi-PoLR would be likely to put politeness aside in order to resist doing "absurd" things. What's he doing is gratuitously disrupt others, that has nothing to do with Logic, in fact the cellphone incident is nonsensical and outrageous.

One thing that happens to me (Fi-PoLR): there's an Easter tradition to knock red eggs. One person has to say "Christ ressurected", the other to answer "He truly resurrected". I can knock eggs with people and I enjoy doing so, but I refuse to say those things. This is not rationalized, I am so since my childhood, those statements are simply too embarrassing to say and currently I clarify with people who want me knock eggs with them that I won't answer that stuff - I don't mind if they say it, but if they mind me I prefer not to do it. The same goes for "I love you too" and other formal ethical things that don't make sense, not necessarily related to religion: I simply don't do them.
    ---

I had an IEE friend like the OP describes, he was raised Christian - well, believer - and in his 20s he began flirting with different subcultures - metal, punk, satanism - so he was always oscillating between faith and rebelion against it (he was a rebel in general). He was telling me and my brother (both Logical Irrationals, also atheists) his bad boy "deeds" in the church and we found them silly, although funny. We were the same age as him.

There is a chance to indicate Fi-PoLR, if for example he disagrees with specific customs, how he understands the religion, or if religion is absurd to him altogether, otherwise it's unlikely to tell anything like that. IMO the guy acts more like an Ethical Irrational (T-PoLR, rebel without a cause stereotype), though I could see other types too, considering he's young (how old is he, Lobo?).
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just think about how many disrespectful things the catholic church does every minute, and you'll see that what your cousin did pales in comparison.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Just think about how many disrespectful things the catholic church does every minute, and you'll see that what your cousin did pales in comparison.
    Only christians aren't to blame.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know, back when I was forced to attend, I'd be deadly bored so I'd look for anything, anything else to do. But then I was a child and hated it since like forever. Now I don't have to go so I stay away unless it's for a family reason - some of them really care about this stuff - and then I just do my best not to fall asleep. I wouldn't purposefully make myself center of attention like you describe, I think. (That doesn't mean I won't make a whispered comment or two to the most religious person around, and if they laugh out loud during the ceremony, well...)

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, the rudest person to me sounds like your uncle, who didn't turn his phone off beforehand, which is understandable, but then when it rang the first time still didn't turn it off and let it ring again. Maybe your cousin didn't want it to ring a third time. Are you sure you're right about his motivation?
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    Honestly, the rudest person to me sounds like your uncle, who didn't turn his phone off beforehand, which is understandable, but then when it rang the first time still didn't turn it off and let it ring again. Maybe your cousin didn't want it to ring a third time. Are you sure you're right about his motivation?
    You're right, but my uncle is pretty bad with technology and I also don't think it occurred to him that the best thing to do was to just turn it off instead of just ignore the calls. My cousin didn't want it to ring again, but he went about it so slowly and without showing any sign that he was paying attention to mass. Like I mentioned before, now I think he could have been txting based on how many times I saw him pressing buttons on the cell.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh well texting would be seriously rude.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    I don't know, back when I was forced to attend, I'd be deadly bored so I'd look for anything, anything else to do. But then I was a child and hated it since like forever. Now I don't have to go so I stay away unless it's for a family reason - some of them really care about this stuff - and then I just do my best not to fall asleep. I wouldn't purposefully make myself center of attention like you describe, I think. (That doesn't mean I won't make a whispered comment or two to the most religious person around, and if they laugh out loud during the ceremony, well...)
    I usually never focus on what the priest is saying, and my brother and I always ask what we were thinking instead throughout mass since it can get really boring. Older priests seem to talk about the same themes over and over again.

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

being at church and not being religious is weird, i guess the polite thing to do is to go through the motions of stuff but then its like lying, which is ruder in a way. like when i end up in a group prayer i bow my head and i arrange my face to match and everything because i don't want to be disrespectful. but then there's the rudeness of being fake or implying i'm there on the same page when i'm really not. doesn't going out of your way to pretend for the sake of politeness more accurately qualify as "making a statement" than actually doing what matches how you feel? i'm trying to find the right word for what i'm trying to say, i think it might be pretense.

i'm not saying whats right or wrong here, i mean i still pretend in those situations even if i feel conflicted about it. i'm just bringing in a different pov.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh View Post
    being at church and not being religious is weird, i guess the polite thing to do is to go through the motions of stuff but then its like lying, which is ruder in a way. like when i end up in a group prayer i bow my head and i arrange my face to match and everything because i don't want to be disrespectful. but then there's the rudeness of being fake or implying i'm there on the same page when i'm really not. doesn't going out of your way to pretend for the sake of politeness more accurately qualify as "making a statement" than actually doing what matches how you feel? i'm trying to find the right word for what i'm trying to say, i think it might be pretense.

i'm not saying whats right or wrong here, i mean i still pretend in those situations even if i feel conflicted about it. i'm just bringing in a different pov.
    Yeah. I just don't go to church anymore, ever. I don't care about what relatives might say, they only have emotional power over me for purely casual reasons (i.e. I didn't chose them as my relatives).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being rude is a pretty clear sign of Fi PoLR, which would explain why he pissed you off so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ineffable View Post
    No. In fact it's the other way around, like Lobo said, if you willingly participate in such ceremony, it doesn't make sense to distrupt it, even more so for Fi-PoLRs. When you're forced to do that - something that doesn't make sense to you, it's a different matter - where I agree a Fi-PoLR would be likely to put politeness aside in order to resist doing "absurd" things. What's he doing is gratuitously disrupt others, that has nothing to do with Logic, in fact the cellphone incident is nonsensical and outrageous.

One thing that happens to me (Fi-PoLR): there's an Easter tradition to knock red eggs. One person has to say "Christ ressurected", the other to answer "He truly resurrected". I can knock eggs with people and I enjoy doing so, but I refuse to say those things. This is not rationalized, I am so since my childhood, those statements are simply too embarrassing to say and currently I clarify with people who want me knock eggs with them that I won't answer that stuff - I don't mind if they say it, but if they mind me I prefer not to do it. The same goes for "I love you too" and other formal ethical things that don't make sense, not necessarily related to religion: I simply don't do them.
    ---

I had an IEE friend like the OP describes, he was raised Christian - well, believer - and in his 20s he began flirting with different subcultures - metal, punk, satanism - so he was always oscillating between faith and rebelion against it (he was a rebel in general). He was telling me and my brother (both Logical Irrationals, also atheists) his bad boy "deeds" in the church and we found them silly, although funny. We were the same age as him.

There is a chance to indicate Fi-PoLR, if for example he disagrees with specific customs, how he understands the religion, or if religion is absurd to him altogether, otherwise it's unlikely to tell anything like that. IMO the guy acts more like an Ethical Irrational (T-PoLR, rebel without a cause stereotype), though I could see other types too, considering he's young (how old is he, Lobo?).
    Yeah, while my aunt is probably the most vocal about her disagreements with religion, when she goes to church she follows the ceremony closely. He's 21-22, not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    What does the catholic church have to do with what my cousin did at the ceremony? I don't see the connection.