Thread: Socionics' Quadra titles and Aldous Huxley's Brave New World

Hybrid View

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDoomer View Post
    And why do you think / is connected to an intellectual bias? That would also apply to Alpha-SFs and they're not the typical intellectuals imho.
    What?

SEIs I know (who aren't me):

• Psychology
    • Philosophy and ecology
    • Lay philosopher and music theory + multi-instrumentalist and teacher

I'll also be changing to a philosophy major next semester, if I can.

The ESE I know is also doing philosophy and English literature.

I think the less intelligent ones may be less intellectually inclined, but that's intelligence, not type.

Which is not, of course, to say the intellect makes the intellectual, but I've noticed a consistent pattern with intelligent Alpha SFs I know toward intellectualism.

In the case of the SEI, there's actually even a Socionics justification. Si+Ti leads to double-external, highly deliberate thinking, coupled with dynamic/negativist (dialectical-algorithmic) leading to spontaneous insights and a need to resolve cognitive dissonance. Philosophy is highly logical, and uses specific language (or symbolic representations), so is of particular interest to any SEI who spends a long enough time thinking... which is most of absolutely anyone of any type with enough intelligence.

Also, considering the preponderance of Alpha NTs in philosophy, it's little surprise it attracts Alpha SFs like flies to a dead horse

P.S. inb4gulisILE

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsey View Post
    Hmmmmm...
    LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by The Egbert Human View Post
    What?

SEIs I know (who aren't me):

• Psychology
    • Philosophy and ecology
    • Lay philosopher and music theory + multi-instrumentalist and teacher

I'll also be changing to a philosophy major next semester, if I can.
    Dude, you'll love it. Philosophy was exactly what I needed in college. I didn't have a clue how I fit into the universe or how to make sense of everything. I doubted everything to the point of near nihilism and just kind of floated around from thing to thing that seemed interesting at the moment, but philosophy gave me a lot of clarity about what Truth was and how to go about establishing it. Just having that emphasis on using reason to find eternally true things (or at least highly certain things), made me ok with not having any overarching plans in life because no matter where I found myself I could count on having the big questions resolved (note I didn't say answered) that had thrown me into chaos. Ultimately for me, philosophy was always about attaining a means of living the good life as I sought to define it. I wasn't really cut out for extending the scope of it into the super crazy abstract realms where the focus is today, like philosophy of mind and so on.

Philosophy brought me peace and wisdom, yo.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Creepy-female

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Dude, you'll love it. Philosophy was exactly what I needed in college. I didn't have a clue how I fit into the universe or how to make sense of everything. I doubted everything to the point of near nihilism and just kind of floated around from thing to thing that seemed interesting at the moment, but philosophy gave me a lot of clarity about what Truth was and how to go about establishing it. Just having that emphasis on using reason to find eternally true things (or at least highly certain things), made me ok with not having any overarching plans in life because no matter where I found myself I could count on having the big questions resolved (note I didn't say answered) that had thrown me into chaos. Ultimately for me, philosophy was always about attaining a means of living the good life as I sought to define it. I wasn't really cut out for extending the scope of it into the super crazy abstract realms where the focus is today, like philosophy of mind and so on.

Wow, now I really want to take philosophy.

Re the original post, I read A Brave New World awhile back. I found it rather nihilistic and depressing, though I don't think I knew the definition of nihilism at the time. All I knew is that finishing it made me feel kinda sick and confused about life.

My memory of it goes something like, "Lots of confusing numbers. Dr. So and So examines a test tube. We live in a Giver-esque society. Creepy New Age Girl, with her creamy white skin, exists like some kind of living doll in a bubble suit. The scrawny Indian in the Cupboard was mesmerized with Baby Spice after living a nomadic existence with lots of normally aging hags. We party it up and take lots of Soma. Bernard flies around on a spaceship. Now she screams. Or he screams. Someone screams. Someone looks up at the sky. Oh the nihilism of life! The end."

At the time I was reading it, I was still learning Socionics, so the quadra name associations kept popping up in my head. I couldn't help it. I totally understand if that happened to you. After Socionics, reading about the light spectrum is a pain, too.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Wow, now I really want to take philosophy.

Re the original post, I read A Brave New World awhile back. I found it rather nihilistic and depressing, though I don't think I knew the definition of nihilism at the time. All I knew is that finishing it made me feel kinda sick and confused about life.

My memory of it goes something like, "Lots of confusing numbers. Dr. So and So examines a test tube. We live in a Giver-esque society. Creepy New Age Girl, with her creamy white skin, exists like some kind of living doll in a bubble suit. The scrawny Indian in the Cupboard was mesmerized with Baby Spice after living a nomadic existence with lots of normally aging hags. We party it up and take lots of Soma. Bernard flies around on a spaceship. Now she screams. Or he screams. Someone screams. Someone looks up at the sky. Oh the nihilism of life! The end."

At the time I was reading it, I was still learning Socionics, so the quadra name associations kept popping up in my head. I couldn't help it. I totally understand if that happened to you. After Socionics, reading about the light spectrum is a pain, too.
    Personally, I really enjoyed Brave New World. It was all about outcasts and weirdos trying to find a kind of individuality in a perfect "conformist" world. It had some neat ideas about the future and an expectedly depressing ending.

Also there was the part where the Delta clone children go to watch the Savage's mother die. That was possibly one of the best "Chiller" moments I've read in a novel.
    4w5 sp/sx

Please, direct all questioning of my self-typing to this thread. Thank you.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    lawl keep reading
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brave New World was sick. I wanna try Soma.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just hope one of these dystopian scenarios comes to pass in my lifetime so i can play hero and kill the government. Fighting against a swirling morass of demi-converts and part-time conformists is confusing and demoralizing; I want someone to shoot at.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Brave New World was sick. I wanna try Soma.
    mhm
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    lawl keep reading