Thread: Breaking news: Bin Laden is dead

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    It's hard for me to even care about this. Woo hoo, he's dead...there's thousands that could take his spot. At the end of the day, it doesn't change the fact they're still sending troops overseas and people are still dying so in a sense, Bin Laden is still winning. Withdraw troops and then maybe I'll give a damn.
    zactly.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This trophy killing is a great victory for G.W. Bush, former President Cheney, and Republican party members in every country worldwide. Let the American image and economy be healed!

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxi View Post
    Why would they report his death to the public if they were fully aware that there would be a risk that he'd make a new video?
    exactly.

Conspiracy seekers are the dumbest people on this planet.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"At the very least it would be embarrassing for Pakistani intelligence to know that Bin Laden was living comfortably 30 miles away from a military base"

Mhm...............

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    It's hard for me to even care about this. Woo hoo, he's dead...there's thousands that could take his spot. At the end of the day, it doesn't change the fact they're still sending troops overseas and people are still dying so in a sense, Bin Laden is still winning. Withdraw troops and then maybe I'll give a damn.
    Amen, sister.

It's like whenever the police parade around in the news congratulating each other and slapping each other on the hiney about a major drug bust or something. Woohoo, more guns, drugs, and scumbags off the street -- not like there isn't a thousand others waiting in the gallows to swoop down and fill the void.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I was talking to a woman today who just happened to not be able to hold the tears back from her eyes"

-- in the interview "So, 10 years later it's still hard to fight back the tears?" "Yes, it is..."

Ok, I want to hear the details about the news, but, this is getting vomit worthy for me. Army wives talking about how their husband's hard work has paid off overseas, about how a little girl feels 'relief'............

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, it was a "kill" operation.
    And the body was buried in the sea within 24 hours bc of muslim tradition.

curious.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    Ok, I want to hear the details about the news
    What is details about news ? Names, addresses, how much money one has in pocket, what colour is her dress ?

You sound like this member on here who self-types ESE. Besides that, tell me, how the heck are you the epitome of efficiency making one post after another not being able to produce one coherent sentence, ever heard of this way, faster way, where you can actually edit it ?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screw you for making me feel like a retard. Watching every Muslim looking person with a bag like he is about to XPLODE in the Copenhagen metro. If anything happened it made me feel less safe, not more. I wont say killing him was a bad thing but I don't really see the point for much joy, its too late for that.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

So, it was a "kill" operation.
    And the body was buried in the sea within 24 hours bc of muslim tradition.

curious.
    The ESI behind me just voiced suspicion at the sea burial, as in maybe it was a hoax and they didn't really kill him 'cause they're not sowing us the evidence.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Either way we probably won't know a lot until weeks and months and maybe years. Unless other documents are "leaked", all we have are official stories and people's feelings.

Oh well. I'll stop being PLSC emo.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, Brennan's press conference makes me feel surprisingly good about the operation, how it was carried out, and thought out. I don't feel like he's reading from a script, like GWB era stuff.

Even the response to questions about what Obama will say later, and the nature of the decision making process, and the relation to ISI and Pakistan in general. It sounds a lot more upfront than I expected.

We'll see, though.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am waiting on the photos. Kill a man, then throw him in the sea. Very convenient.

Plus, whoever says that it is Islamic tradition to bury a man at sea needs to get their facts straight. There is no such law. Simply an excuse to get rid of a possibly non-existent body in my opinion.
    Last edited by Mediator Kam; 05-02-2011 at 07:13 PM.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just edited it and did not see your comment. It is not at all legitimate. Islam is pretty conservative about burial. Burial in the ground 24 hours later at the maximum. No embalming unless an autopsy is needed for some reason. No burning of the body(forget what that is called). This is a joke to get people to not question it because it is a "matter of religion".
    D-SEI 9w1

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what i read was that no country wanted to accept his body for burial, so since it was taking so long, the next best alternative was to bury in the sea with the most important priority being within 24 hrs.

sounds like the burial procedure was done per strict islamic tradition as well. This is how America operates; as a general society we respect people's religions.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seriously doubt that no country would accept him. To throw a man in the sea to be eaten by fishes is not what anyone calls respect, and it has no Islamic basis.
    D-SEI 9w1

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Neotropic View Post

I don't see how this will curb anything. Islamic militants are not a centralised group.
    This

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Kamajama View Post
    I seriously doubt that no country would accept him. To throw a man in the sea to be eaten by fishes is not what anyone calls respect, and it has no Islamic basis.
    Its to prevent rightist christian nuts from desecrating his body amd triggering islamic fanatics to jihad

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i'm just relaying what i read.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Muslim superstition demands that bodies are buried quickly. This serves the sensible purpose of protecting mourners from disease as the body decays, and further carries the silly aim of halting the corpse from being overtaken by evil spirits. Burial at sea prevents bin Laden's grave from becoming a site of veneration or from his carcass being desecrated. Apparently it's only to be done when one has croaked aboard ship and returning to shore within a reasonable span is impossible, so the muslims who were sure to find something to bitch about in this are complaining that this unnecessary sea burial is a violation of islam (perhaps they'd have felt better if ululating masked men had sawed his head off with a commando knife on TV). Whether this type of sea burial was carried out with an actual Osama corpse, and for exactly what purpose, is up to the individual's species of paranoia to decide.

What will be interesting to note now is how his image and message will be carried forth and further mythologized by his admirers and hagiographers, who believe their anti-imperialist folk hero to have become a martyr.

I'd personally love to have my bones picked clean by sea critters. And though it was always ashes rather than bodies that were cast over the side, during my stint in the navy my ship performed burials at sea for deceased military retirees almost monthly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hitta View Post
    You have to admit though, something doesn't add up? It may be something small like them lying about burying his body or something; but their story doesn't make sense.
    or maybe he is being detained, severely tortured, and interrogated. They could kill him after interrogation. Its not unrealistic.

Hacking your soul since the beginning of time Hitta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

obama actually said that osama wasn't a muslim.... yet they bury him in the name of islam(though I've never seen a burial like that).
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

jessica129:scrotums r hot

:" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sumer1an View Post
    or maybe he is being detained, severely tortured, and interrogated. They could kill him after interrogation. Its not unrealistic.
    yea... thats definitely plausible
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

obama actually said that osama wasn't a muslim.... yet they bury him in the name of islam(though I've never seen a burial like that).
    He said he wasn't a Muslim leader, not that he wasn't personally a Muslim.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wow,
    You're a fucking cunt, you Fe wong you.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsey View Post
    Wait a sec, did you guys just hear a mashed potato?
    lol

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by No Longer a Dating Site View Post
    Screw you for making me feel like a retard. Watching every Muslim looking person with a bag like he is about to XPLODE in the Copenhagen metro.

Quote Originally Posted by No Longer a Dating Site View Post
    If anything happened it made me feel less safe, not more. I wont say killing him was a bad thing but I don't really see the point for much joy, its too late for that.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Muslim superstition demands that bodies are buried quickly. This serves the sensible purpose of protecting mourners from disease as the body decays, and further carries the silly aim of halting the corpse from being overtaken by evil spirits. Burial at sea prevents bin Laden's grave from becoming a site of veneration or from his carcass being desecrated. Apparently it's only to be done when one has croaked aboard ship and returning to shore within a reasonable span is impossible, so the muslims who were sure to find something to bitch about in this are complaining that this unnecessary sea burial is a violation of islam (perhaps they'd have felt better if ululating masked men had sawed his head off with a commando knife on TV). Whether this type of sea burial was carried out with an actual Osama corpse, and for exactly what purpose, is up to the individual's species of paranoia to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by korpsey
    And though it was always ashes rather than bodies that were cast over the side, during my stint in the navy my ship performed burials at sea for deceased military retirees almost monthly.
    The Hindus also do this and consider it a holy burial.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atta boy K0rp. Thanks for injecting the discussion with a stiff dose of common sense. That the US gov. claims to have buried Obama at sea provides no insight one way or the other into how closely the official bin laden story mirrors reality. There are as many conceivable legit reasons as their are possible illegitimate reasons for America to have asserted as much.

And so begins what should be a brighter chapter in the world...
    Now that Emmanuel Goldstein has been terminated, do you think they'll drop the two minute hate?

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Maybe! if this makes people in the US happier, than I can't go against that, though I found it unsettling when church ministers were celebrating the death itself in such a visceral manner being happy with the results of the death, though, I can be on board with totally...

As I see it - remember what happened with the Abu Ghraib photos, how pictures of captive people in low-ranking positions in states of humiliation and distress ended up making the US look bad to lots of people (which, for many reasons, would be undesirable for the war effort)? A dead Osama body, if photographed (not even officially released, it's easy to leak stuff), could be very bad for the US and many other friendly people, and in a choice between that, and not taking the photos (which could brew up conspiracy theories, but do little else), I'd go for not taking the photos...

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally have no serious problems with the sea burial in terms of thinking it's a cover-up. The rationale for doing it seems extremely pragmatic and well thought out. What has driven the way they've handled the body I think is in many ways the administration's attempt at striking the right tone. It's key that the U.S. flavors this event with some level of respect to come out as the 'bigger man' and also to promote the image as one of justice being served rather than revenge meted out. Like woofwoofl points out with the Abu Graib reference, small, stupid actions led to inciting a negative view and giving the other side something concrete to reassure their base of the evil American empire. So we have the administration's decision to respect Islamic tradition of burying bin Laden quickly. I'm somewhat skeptical that no country would accept the remains, but most certainly Saudi Arabia, where bin Laden hailed from, would not. In fact, the only countries that might, like Iran, would likely only do so for the spite factor.

Naturally then, the rationale that a sea burial would prevent the disfigurement of the corpse nee a country to claim it and to do so quickly, acts as a diplomatic cover for not having to surrender what could be used as a propaganda tool for either side and provides the U.S. with what could probably be viewed by the administration as the safest, most prudent course of action to achieve their strategic aims: namely to bring Osama bin Laden to justice, to damage or cripple Al Qaeda organizationally or at least in a very powerfully symbolic way, and to do so in a way that portrays the U.S. in as minimally a negative light as possible, for the express purpose of lessening Al Qaeda's ability to use it as a recruiting or motivating tool.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woofwoofl View Post
    . As I see it - remember what happened with the Abu Ghraib photos, how pictures of captive people in low-ranking positions in states of humiliation and distress ended up making the US look bad to lots of people (which, for many reasons, would be undesirable for the war effort)? A dead Osama body, if photographed (not even officially released, it's easy to leak stuff), could be very bad for the US and many other friendly people, and in a choice between that, and not taking the photos (which could brew up conspiracy theories, but do little else), I'd go for not taking the photos...
    It may be a wise decision for the US to withhold photos of a deceased bin laden from the public, but I'm fairly confident images of his dead body were taken (assuming, of course, he was recently killed). The US would presumably use imaging technology (that requires images to be taken) to confirm his ID, leaders and officials who couldn't see the body in person but who required confirmation of the kill would want pictures, and govs/millitaries always like to keep a record of their public operations for posterity (in case of a court challenge, changing political circumstances etc). What is more, The likelihood that top secret information leaks is actually very low and the consequences of a leak would not create the sort of domestic and international backlash that abu ghareib did.
    Last edited by Timmy; 05-03-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    I personally have no serious problems with the sea burial in terms of thinking it's a cover-up. The rationale for doing it seems extremely pragmatic and well thought out. What has driven the way they've handled the body I think is in many ways the administration's attempt at striking the right tone. It's key that the U.S. flavors this event with some level of respect to come out as the 'bigger man' and also to promote the image as one of justice being served rather than revenge meted out. Like woofwoofl points out with the Abu Graib reference, small, stupid actions led to inciting a negative view and giving the other side something concrete to reassure their base of the evil American empire. So we have the administration's decision to respect Islamic tradition of burying bin Laden quickly. I'm somewhat skeptical that no country would accept the remains, but most certainly Saudi Arabia, where bin Laden hailed from, would not. In fact, the only countries that might, like Iran, would likely only do so for the spite factor.

Naturally then, the rationale that a sea burial would prevent the disfigurement of the corpse nee a country to claim it and to do so quickly, acts as a diplomatic cover for not having to surrender what could be used as a propaganda tool for either side and provides the U.S. with what could probably be viewed by the administration as the safest, most prudent course of action to achieve their strategic aims: namely to bring Osama bin Laden to justice, to damage or cripple Al Qaeda organizationally or at least in a very powerfully symbolic way, and to do so in a way that portrays the U.S. in as minimally a negative light as possible, for the express purpose of lessening Al Qaeda's ability to use it as a recruiting or motivating tool.
    Sea burial isn't whats weird.... its that they rushed him out to sea just hours after they killed him without any evidence at all getting out or releasing anything. I mean I'm not denying that he isn't dead or whatever.... just the whole thing has played out really oddly. They incinerated the compound he was in also. Like there is nothing left of the area that he was at, no evidence, nothing to look at.... nothing.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found it unsettling when church ministers were celebrating the death itself in such a visceral manner
    Thank you. Yes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sea burial isn't whats weird.... its that they rushed him out to sea just hours after they killed him without any evidence at all getting out or releasing anything. I mean I'm not denying that he isn't dead or whatever.... just the whole thing has played out really oddly. They incinerated the compound he was in also. Like there is nothing left of the area that he was at, no evidence, nothing to look at.... nothing.
    Do not ask questions. Never ask questions. The man expects you to question. Don't play into his trap.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe! if this makes people in the US happier, than I can't go against that, though I found it unsettling when church ministers were celebrating the death itself in such a visceral manner being happy with the results of the death, though, I can be on board with totally...
    I feel the same exact way.

Ryu shared a quote from Martin Luther King that really brings the point home:

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luther King
    I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast