Thread: Typing Methods: Type of Information Metabolism

Hybrid View

Banned
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by mfckr; 12-25-2014 at 12:21 AM.

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

It's called TIM for a reason. The theory itself was based on the way different types metabolize information. Everything else exudes from that premise.

To go purely by either is ridiculous. But I tend to prefer the IM methodology. I don't think that behavior is nearly so telling as the things which occur in the person's mind. However, it is easy to see how a behaviorist approach is more objective.

I don't know much about this (I'm currently trying to find good sources of it, along with reasoning it out myself), but it seems to me the main problem with IM analysis rather than behavior analysis is the subjective nature of the former. Be that as it may, I think that, if IM analysis was more accurate/objective, it would clear why it is a better typing method.

That's all I have for now. I can only speak in vague language, as my understanding is not very well developed. I think there is some potential in Information Aspects, if it were ever decided what they mean.

More later, maybe. This is really abstract stuff (especially since there aren't many good sources), so thinking about it is difficult. However, I think something shall become apparent soon.

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Se is willpower, Ti is logic, alpha is fun, etc, etc, etc...
    Are you sure this is what IM is? This sounds to me more like a behaviorist perspective. "Se types use force", "Ti types create logical constructs", etc. One can easily see these manifestations of behavior. Information Metabolism, in my understanding, describes what information is gathered and what information is ignored. If that is not what IM is, could you tell me what the name is for what I am talking about?

The truth is, behavior is at least partially determined by the TIM, but I do not think it is 100% accurate.

It sounds to me, actually, that what you are saying is an attempt to describe the external manifestations of Information Elements, not Information Metabolism.

Maybe... maybe Information Aspect describes the type of information one gathers, Information Elements describes the interpretations/external manifestation of behavior inherently there because of the type of information it gathers, and Information Metabolism is a conglomerate of the two. That would explain why behavior can also be used to determine type, I think... At any rate, it seems to me that Information Metabolism is the most general, and then Information Aspect and Information Element are subordinate to it, and are related somehow.

Sorry is this is common knowledge... I'm still fairly new to Socionics.
    Last edited by nil; 04-06-2011 at 07:37 PM.