Thread: Factors Behind Common Mistypings

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Interesting that one has such a high theoretical probability of being mistyped as a Quasi-Identical. Thanks for this information.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quasi-Identicals have the exact same strengths and weaknesses, they just value opposite things. Superficially, they can appear very similar, hence the name "Quasi-Identical".
    Quaero Veritas.

Punk
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting theory.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Nice work. This coincides with what I have observed so far. Only I'd put semi-duality as uncommon. I've participated in probably over a hundred typing threads by now on other forums and really don't remember a single semi-duality mis-typing.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure how fully this will bear out the farther down the list I go--it would depend on the numerical values assigned being accurately representative of reality, and on the qualities evidenced by various types being fairly constant. But as for mirror relations being up top, I will say that it fits with my own experience. Obviously, I came to this forum unable to say which Beta NF I was, but I also note that sometimes I cannot easily settle on which type of Beta ST, Delta NF, Alpha NT, Delta ST, etc., even for people I know very well, and even after a great deal of close, in-person observation.

Vertedness is not always easy for me to discern. (In some people it's obvious, in others less so.) Base vs. creative, too--sometimes tricky for me thus far. PoLR, to this point, is what seems more likely to give things away, along with just gradually building a more complete "picture" or feeling of each type IRL.

(Advice welcome.)
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

the list makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    I think it could be something worth including in the results section of a type test, to suggest likely alternate typings.
    i like this idea.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    Nice work. This coincides with what I have observed so far. Only I'd put semi-duality as uncommon. I've participated in probably over a hundred typing threads by now on other forums and really don't remember a single semi-duality mis-typing.
    Yeah, I feel like the 3-4 section needs to be re-examined. For one thing, Activity seems like it should be slightly higher than Supervision, Semi-Duality, etc., as it's a mistyping I see occasionally, certainly more than the others. I also feel like Benefit should be higher on the list, as it's something I see all the time (Lady Gaga, for example, is commonly typed either EIE or SEE -- whether or not she's either of those, people clearly have a tendency to confuse the two -- and I include myself in that, on occasion. ). Probably there are factors that I haven't taken into account, or I've weighted the current ones incorrectly, etc. Hopefully I'll be able to refine it a little more.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, trial run. This is from the recent Angelina Jolie thread here. I think she'll be a good example, because I have no idea what her type is (except, as we'll see below, I have one or two ideas what her type isn't).

Suggested typings for Angelina Jolie: LSI, ESE, SEI, IEI, SLI, ILE, ESI, SEE.

Here are the types with the resulting inter-type relations listed from least common mistyping to most common mistyping.

LSI: Semi-Duality, Supervision, Supervision, Activation, Benefit, Look-a-Like, Quasi-Identity
    ESE: Semi-Duality, Supervision, Supervision, Activation, Extinguishment, Quasi-Identity, Mirror
    SEI: Dual, Extinguishment, Benefit, Look-a-Like, Kindred, Quasi-Identical, Mirror
    IEI: Super-Ego, Semi-Duality, Mirage, Supervision, Activation, Benefit, Look-a-Like
    SLI: Super-Ego, Semi-Duality, Mirage, Supervision, Benefit, Kindred, Quasi-Identity
    SEE: Super-Ego, Semi-Duality, Mirage, Supervision, Extinguishment, Quasi-Identity, Mirror
    ILE: Conflict, Super-Ego, Duality, Semi-Duality, Mirage, Supervision, Activation
    ESI: Conflict, Extinguishment, Benefit, Benefit, Look-a-Like, Quasi-Identical, Mirror

LSI looks like the most probable typing, and ESI the least probable. But this is due to the presence of the suggested ILE typing, which seems highly improbable to me. Having removed ILE from the list, you get the following:

SEI: Extinguishment, Benefit, Look-a-Like, Kindred, Quasi-Identical, Mirror
    ESI: Extinguishment, Benefit, Benefit, Look-a-Like, Quasi-Identical, Mirror
    LSI: Semi-Duality, Supervision, Activation, Benefit, Look-a-Like, Quasi-Identity
    ESE: Semi-Duality, Supervision, Supervision, Extinguishment, Quasi-Identity, Mirror
    SEE: Semi-Duality, Mirage, Supervision, Extinguishment, Quasi-Identical, Mirror
    IEI: Super-Ego, Semi-Duality, Supervision, Activation, Benefit, Look-a-Like
    SLI: Super-Ego, Mirage, Supervision, Benefit, Kindred, Quasi-Identity

Suddenly, SEI and ESI become the most likely typings. I also don't think ESE is very likely, so let's remove that and see what happens:

ESI: Benefit, Benefit, Look-a-Like, Quasi-Identical, Mirror
    SEI: Extinguishment, Benefit, Look-a-Like, Kindred, Quasi-Identical,
    LSI: Supervision, Activation, Benefit, Look-a-Like, Quasi-Identity
    SEE: Semi-Duality, Mirage, Supervision, Extinguishment, Mirror
    IEI: Super-Ego, Semi-Duality, Activation, Benefit, Look-a-Like
    SLI: Super-Ego, Mirage, Benefit, Kindred, Quasi-Identity

ESI is now in the lead. Now that I think about it, isn't Brad Pitt often typed LIE? Hmm. I will have to consider ESI for Jolie more closely.

Anyway, it looks like this system is pretty vulnerable to outlier typings. But once those are removed, the results are interesting. I'll have to try it on someone whose type I'm more sure of, next time.
    Quaero Veritas.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    *waves* couple people type me as IEE. It could be because I'm a C-subtype, and also self-typed IEE at one point.

This is really good, Krig.

As for activity, I think it's fairly easy to have a hard time distinguishing between the two extraverts in a quadra, though notably less so for the introtims. In those cases I think the best situation is try and figure out which function is the Base and which is the HA. HA works like a "dumb creative", any values it expresses are implicit, or absent altogether; the Base presents a consistent worldview and system of values.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I found an example using a type I'm quite certain of. In this thread, the following types are proposed for the character of Bones: ILE, LIE, LII, ILI, and SLI.

This works out as:
    LII: Benefit, Extinguishment, Mirror, Quasi,
    ILI: Look-a-Like, Extinguishment, Mirror, Quasi,
    LIE: Supervision, Extinguishment, Mirror, Quasi,
    ILE: Semi-Duality, Extinguishment, Mirror, Quasi,
    SLI: Semi-Duality, Supervision, Look-a-Like, Benefit

Obviously, the four NTs have the same set of intertype relations. The deciding factor was SLI, which is more commonly a mistype of LII than the other NTs. Since I am quite certain that Bones is LII, this is an encouraging result.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to add that gunlenko? believed that semi-duals begin to look like each other if "well-developed".

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting method Krig...

LII - 29
    ILI - 28
    IEI - 28
    IEE - 24