Thread: Idea about how I can figure out my type

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Idea about how I can figure out my type...

I came up with an idea about how I can do this. I read the descriptions of all the functions, and wrote out how I believe I react when I encounter information associated with these functions.

I feel comfortable with this function. I easily see the connections between events that others miss, often causing people to think I can predict the future (but really I'm just VERY good at finding clues in the present situation that hint at the most likely future), and am often lost in thinking about the past and future. I definitely find beauty in this process.

I enjoy THIS function as well. I'm very good at shifting perspectives, generating ideas, and discussing these possibilities. It can be a lot of fun. However, I don't trust it the way I trust . I respect people who use this function greatly, and think they have a lot of courage in trusting it. I may think up possibilities, but I'm not really willing to go out and just try them, without thinking about how likely they are to work. I need to plan things out a little more, gaze a little further into the future.

This is actually considered a valid function?! I cannot stand people who get in your face and act aggressive, trying to assert their dominance over you like an animal. It's terribly uncivilized, in my opinion. People like this are my worst enemies. Okay, okay, I know I'm not being objective here, and that assertiveness/willpower has its uses. I know that some of these people are probably nicer than the ones I've had the misfortune to encounter. And it probably only bothers me because I'm so helpless to deal with people who act like this. I always feel forced to concede to their will... sometimes I try to fight back if I'm in a really frustrated mood, but I always lose. The only way I can win is to withdraw. I once had to leave a forum because of someone like this (probably SLE) being made a moderator after they'd bullied me. It probably didn't help that I had been too intimidated to report his posts. I lost a whole group of friends I'd known online for years, just to escape from someone who used this function. When I encounter people like this in real life, they seem to ruin everyone's comfort and make everything tense/stressful, especially for me and a lot of other Introverts. I wish I could stand up to them, and force them to back off... but I can't.

This function is not nearly as threatening as . Sometimes I find it pleasurable, but most of the time I regard it as a distraction. If I'm in a good mood, I can pay attention to what I feel like doing, maybe I know what would feel good, I can go along with the flow, and enjoy the experience. But if I'm not in a good mood, I can feel harrassed just because someone asked me to eat. Sometimes it goes like this. "Are you hungry?" "Maybe. I'm not sure." "What do you want to eat?" "Food." "What kind of food?" "Good food." "What specific dish do you want?" "I don't know. Can't you just pick something for me?" "I don't know what you're hungry for!" "Well, then, leave me alone. I don't know either." Similar conversations may ensue when people ask me if I'm cold, or other questions about my comfort. I find it easier to select food from a menu, and easiest of all if the dishes are laid out before me, and I can actually see/smell them.

I think I'm okay at this function, but not great. I will try to use it when I think it's called for. It's important to think for yourself, to have your own ideas about how logic works. You shouldn't always just go along with something because of an external authority, or because it's practical. If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything. I analyze things for internal consistency, and if they have none, I'm less inclined to trust them. I think of people who use this function as wise, and fairly good people, if not perfect.

This function is really useful. I think it can be a bit cold at times, but if used properly, it can be helpful enough to others to make up for that. Organizing things, and performing tasks in an efficient manner, is a useful skill to possess. I'm not sure how good I am at it, but I don't think I'm totally incompetent when I try to use it. I feel like I don't get enough opportunities to use this function, partially because don't have the willpower to apply it consistently enough.

I alternate between wishing I was better at this, and seeing it as a pointless/shallow way of being. It seems too casual, and not sensitive enough. I can see the merit in it, I suppose, but I prefer the way of doing things. I can go along with this if I have to, but it's not my preferred mode of operating. It just seems too presumptuous and chaotic to be a valid way of doing things long-term.

Now, this is how people should be. It seems truly compassionate, caring, formal, polite, appropriate... all the things I would like people to be towards me, and the ways in which I strive to treat them. People should be allowed to express their feelings and opinions, and connect with people who are similar to them. I see no reason that people should have to have to repress their .

What do you think? Illuminating or not?

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mirrorsoul View Post

I feel comfortable with this function. I easily see the connections between events that others miss, often causing people to think I can predict the future (but really I'm just VERY good at finding clues in the present situation that hint at the most likely future), and am often lost in thinking about the past and future. I definitely find beauty in this process.

I enjoy THIS function as well. I'm very good at shifting perspectives, generating ideas, and discussing these possibilities. It can be a lot of fun. However, I don't trust it the way I trust . I respect people who use this function greatly, and think they have a lot of courage in trusting it. I may think up possibilities, but I'm not really willing to go out and just try them, without thinking about how likely they are to work. I need to plan things out a little more, gaze a little further into the future.
    Could you please tell where did you learn those properties of the Intuitions? The descriptions are actually very good, but they're inverted. I'm interested in your source because people use to invert them all the time and it would be good to find what the rotten apple is. This is an important problem and it basically forces people mistype all the time if used.
    ---

Literally based on your answers, you appear to be Delta NF (IEE or EII).
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I alternate between wishing I was better at this, and seeing it as a pointless/shallow way of being. It seems too casual, and not sensitive enough. I can see the merit in it, I suppose, but I prefer the way of doing things. I can go along with this if I have to, but it's not my preferred mode of operating. It just seems too presumptuous and chaotic to be a valid way of doing things long-term.

Now, this is how people should be. It seems truly compassionate, caring, formal, polite, appropriate... all the things I would like people to be towards me, and the ways in which I strive to treat them. People should be allowed to express their feelings and opinions, and connect with people who are similar to them. I see no reason that people should have to have to repress their .
    Can you give some real life examples of how you would use Fi to judge and approach situations? Why do you believe Fe is is too presumptuous and chaotic? Can you describe these functions in your own words?

From what you have said I'm going to go with either ILI or IEI. Seems like both sensory functions annoy you lots while you value both of the intuitive functions just as lots, so that would point towards you being dominant in intuition of some sorts.

I think I got the descriptions from Wikisocion, but there's also a possibility that I hadn't gotten rid of all my assumptions about the functions from MBTI, where they ARE inverted. In fact, most of the functions are inverted (or worse) in MBTI, like Si/Se, Fi/Fe, and apparently Ni/Ne. Only Ti/Te is even close to being consistent between the two systems, and it's not even that close.
    mmm not sure about that ... I'm a Ni-Fe-Ti-Se type in MBTI and in socionics same - Ni leading Fe creative. All of my functions match up. The type profiles assigned to the function though I found vary quite a bit which can lead to confusion.
    Last edited by silke; 03-09-2011 at 12:58 PM.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Idea about how I can figure out my type...
    yeah, use the 4 dichotomies instead of functions.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a start. Choose one from each that best fits you.

1) higher energy level, sociable
    lower energy level, reserved, soft spoken
    2) interpret matters literally, rely on common sense
    look for meaning and possibilities, rely on foresight
    3) logical, thinking, questioning
    empathetic, feeling, accommodating
    4) organized, orderly
    flexible, adaptable
    5) outgoing, make things happen
    shy, do fewer things
    6) practical, realistic, experiential
    imaginative, innovative, theoretical
    7) candid, straight forward, frank
    tactful, kind, encouraging
    8) plan, schedule
    unplanned, spontaneous
    9) seek many tasks, public activities, interaction with others
    seek more private, solitary activities with quiet to concentrate
    10) standard, usual, conventional
    different, novel, unique
    11) firm, tend to criticize, hold the line
    gentle, tend to appreciate, conciliate
    12) regulated, structured
    easygoing, "live" and "let live"
    13) external, communicative, express yourself
    internal, reticent, hold things in
    14) consider immediate issues, focus on the here-and-now
    look to future, global perspective, "big picture"
    15) tough-minded, just
    tenderhearted, merciful
    16) preparation, work-minded
    go with the flow, play-minded
    17) active, initiate
    reflective, deliberate
    18) facts, things, seeing "what is"
    ideas, dreams, seeing "what could be," philosophical
    19) matter of fact, issue-oriented, principled
    sensitive, people-oriented, compassionate
    20) control, govern
    latitude, freedom

After we tally it up, it may better help us see our choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    Yup. Do that for now. Analyze functions at the end.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    If I go by that, I'm INFj, because I already know that I'm an INFJ in MBTI. The four dichotomies are not different between the two systems, though the functions are. I thought Socionics was supposed to be different?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I go by that, I'm INFj, because I already know that I'm an INFJ in MBTI. The four dichotomies are not different between the two systems, though the functions are. I thought Socionics was supposed to be different?
    The functions/intertype relations in MBTI are kinda iffy in relation to Socionics. Example: They recommend ISTJ with ESFP because Se and Si align well together - Uh, this doesn't work in real life. Therefore IMO, MBTI functions are flawed from a practical standpoint. However, the description of each type between the systems are similar enough to give you a good place to start.

Did you read a lot of the INFj/EII descriptions? What did you think of them?

Also, use that same approach with many people you are close with. Then, check up on your intertype relations with them. Do this as much as possible and ask yourself if it makes sense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peteronfireee View Post
    Did you read a lot of the INFj/EII descriptions? What did you think of them?
    They seemed to fit reasonably well, but then a lot of the descriptions fit me well... The only thing I can really get out of the descriptions, is that I'm definitely NOT an Ego type... it's easier for me to say what I'm not, than what I am.

Yeah, I know the functions and intertype relations are different, but the dichotomies are pretty much the same.
    Also, use that same approach with many people you are close with. Then, check up on your intertype relations with them. Do this as much as possible and ask yourself if it makes sense.
    That's a little difficult... I'm not really close to anyone in my life except my mother, and she's not sure of her type. She thinks she's Alpha, though. I'm fairly isolated, and generally have little more than superficial interactions with other people about subjects like asking the time, buying stuff, and getting directions.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a good start. Now you can try comparing some stuff. Which one are you/seek MORE?

SEI VS EII

1) Temperament

IP vs IJ

IP- relaxed, go with the flow. Wait and see.

IJ- rigid, somewhat stubborn. Plan ahead.

2) Dual-seeking

Ne dual seeking- Appreciate people that believe in your potential. Have difficulty identifying your own unique talents.

Te dual seeking- Thirsty for new information. Appreciate people that are efficient, get things done. Have difficulty determining whether you're achieving your goals.

---

The only thing I can really get out of the descriptions, is that I'm definitely NOT an Ego type... it's easier for me to say what I'm not, than what I am.
    That's good. Perhaps that could point towards Se-PoLR, an INFj's least preferred function.

...I'm fairly isolated, and generally have little more than superficial interactions with other people about subjects like asking the time, buying stuff, and getting directions
    Are you/Have you ever been weary of socializing at first? INFjs have Se-PoLR which causes them to have, at first glance, a general "withdrawal attitude" from living in the moment.

ISFps, on the other hand, are more instinctually likely to "let go" and live in the moment.