TIM
    ILE/ENTp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Ethnosocionics

Derived from this: http://www.socionics.us/practice/ethnosocionics.shtml

Do you believe there are leading elements in countries? I don't think Rick is trying to say "every" person from the United States, or the country by itself must be/represents -valuing. I think what he was getting at is that there is a pretty high likelihood of people being so, or at least the way the society portrays and is built upon can be seen that way. For example, simplifying the US from popular culture: Rags to riches, American Dream, Rosa Parks, Space Race, Capitalism, IMO sounds like + .

I don't intend this thread to be a history lesson as it can severely get off topic, and I know there a billion of factors that come into play; culture, state, city, neighborhood, people, parents, upbringing, the fat kid who says "O'Doyle Rules!" but if I were to rephrase the question:

If countries were IM(s) what do you think they would be?

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O'Doyle Rules
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always seen the US as being very Delta, seeking isolation ... the 13 colonies were 13 small religious "sub-cultures" of English speaking Europe. It went Alpha with Thomas Jefferson (LII) and Ben Franklin (ILE) and George Washington (ESE) - but it remained in character Delta.

Quarta progression has pulled it full circle many times since then.

God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him.
    - John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

TIM
    ILE/ENTp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    I think 'ethnosocionics types' evolve over time through the course of quadra progression. For example, while the original formative influences of the USA in the 1700s might have been β/γ, modern USA in the 2000s in more of a δ-α hybrid. Though there's been a lot of fluctuations in between.
    That's pretty true, I didn't think about the progression. I was mainly trying to sum it up overall or at least to present (~100y) times.

This is what I roughly think so far:

Mexico: +
    France: +
    Denmark: +
    Japan: +

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it has to do with what elements come to the fore. It's similar to styles over time. In the late 18th century, it was fashionable to emphasize Te and to be very rational and "enlightened." In the 19th century, Beta was very much in style. 20th century art began to suppress all forms of feeling (esp. Fe) with "modernism" and emphasize Ne above all other values.

But that doesn't mean that the population changed in those ways. Nevertheless, I think that people who don't match the fashion of their time and place may need to work a little harder at gaining recognition. That's why certain places and times seem to have a type bias.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always wanted to move to France.

Creepy-male

I thought the idea of ethnosocionics was that it adds a surface level to people of a given culture, and also that a culture will have IM-ascribable traits. Australia is a fairly conservative, xenophobic Delta nation, and our cultural focus on horizontal loyalty over the "system" (and the characteristics of the system itself) all seem to point to us being SLI.

I think due to the unique cultures that tend to form in individual cities, they can be typed as well. Though they'll always be coloured by the nation's integral type.

Compared to Sydney, Perth is really relaxed. And small. And conservative. We're like the grandma city. I think Sydney is Te dominant, where Perth is the quintessential SLI city.

Then there's Canberra. Canberra is 1/3rd students, 1/3rd public servants, and 1/3rd kangaroos

Creepy-male

American Capitalism:
    German Efficiency:
    Nazi Germany: +
    European Romanticism: Beta
    European Enlightenment: Alpha
    Industrial Revolution: Gamma
    Dawn of Modernism: Delta
    American Dream:
    Bavaria: +
    English Propriety: +
    1950's America: +
    1930's America: (Beta/Gamma)
    Rural Texas: +
    Russian Communism: +
    Japanese Entertainment and Modern Culture: Alpha
    Chinese Industry/Business: Gamma
    France: , ,
    Switzerland: Alpha
    Vienna: Alpha NT + Beta NF
    Mediterrian: +
    Mexico:
    Columbia:
    1960's America: Delta/Alpha Hippies + LSD + McCarthism (Gamma) + Civil Rights Movement
    1970's America: 1960's America with Disco and Civil Rights
    1980's America: , , Materialism, Cocaine, Cheesy Action Movies, Reagan, Hiphop/Rap begins, Big Hair, Safety Dance, Karate Kid
    1990's America: Hiphop/Rap/RnB, Seinfeld, Sitcoms, Still Cheesy Action Movies, Materialism without the Cocaine, Teh Internet, Boy/Girl Bands, Communism Falls
    2000's America: Reality TV, Bush Administration, Emo subculture emerges, school shooters, Internet/Technology comes into its own, Fall of the boy/girl bands -- rise of disney channel
    Last edited by male; 02-25-2011 at 04:30 AM.