Thread: Denying someone use of the restroom

Hybrid View

Creepy-male

Lol what a dumb policy, you should have asked her in her 10 years if it ever happened that an adult was using the children's restroom and the kid ended up not being able to hold it.

I would have done that, I had a crappy supervisor at the Target Food Court I worked a summer job at like 5 or so years ago. She was all bitchy one day and yelled at me "GRAB A CHEESE".... and I said "Cheese?" and she said "A CHEESE PIZZA, WHAT ELSE IS THERE WITH CHEESE ON IT!!!!!!", and I said "Nachos" lol.... and she got all pissed off at me, but she completely deserved it for treating her employees like shit.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...and how adults should not have bathroom emergencies.
    That's pretty dumb. Why shouldn't they? I can't predict my digestive systems every move

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    she sounds like a rather typical ISFj.
    Why ISFj? I was thinking LSI or SLE for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariella View Post
    She devalues Se+Ti.
    Yes. I think the sort of rigidity with rules is much more an LSI thing than LII. Both appreciate systems but LII more readily sees possible reasons for why it might not work and ways to improve upon it whereas LSI once the system is set in place, that's kind of it and will take something more major to prompt the LSI to change.

Also, this sounds like the other person might be Se + Ti, and it's hard to get people with those values to change their minds about rules they've set up. They put a lot of thought behind their rules. You have to give a really really strong argument, and I can see an LSI not buying that an adult wouldn't be able to manage to get to another part of the same building to use the bathroom, and then getting annoyed by what seem like silly, unlikely scenarios.
    Yes. It's interesting how comparative types- in this case LSI and LII can have very different approaches.

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Unless there's a damn good reason why one restroom should be children only AND require asking for a key to use I would probably let anyone who asked use it whenever possible. Dumb rules are meant to be broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    I just wanted to point out that adults very well can have restroom emergencies. All sorts of medical reasons why, and they should not have to undergo the humiliation of explaining what their situation is. If grown-up has to ask in the first place for special consideration, it's cruelly bureaucratic to either deny them restroom access or demand they spell out the reasons why.

Is there any written policy on this in your workplace?
    No written policy that I'm aware of.

Another rule I disagreed with was that if a storytime was for 2 year olds, then only children who were between 24 months to they day and one day short of their third birthday could be in it, inlcuding not allowing sibilings - even newborn baby siblings the parents would have to bring in order for the other child to go to storytime. Parents had to be there to supervise, so if the parent had a baby as well as an older child, the parent didn't have many options. She was hard core about that rule too. Her reason for that was that she felt siblings of various ages took attention away from the story and ruined it for the kids of whatever age it was intended for. But the consequence was that a lot of people couldn't attend, because a lot of families have kids of various ages, and can't just leave siblings at home during storytime.

This does not sound like an odd or far fetched conversation to happen in a library where someone with strong and valued Ne works.
    My library is more flexible in regards to who can attend storytimes. If a 12 kid wanted to attend we wouldn't stop it.

My LSIbrary has alot of other overly rigid and bureaucratic policies though. In the childrens area, only children are allowed to use the computers there. Which is difficult for adults who also need to use the computer, say for job searching or coursework but have kids too young to be left alone in the childrens area just so that they use the proper computer in the adult area.

There is an overly rigid division of tasks. Librarians aren't supposed to collect fines or register patrons for library cards. The support staff is supposed to do that. Conversely support staff aren't supposed to assist in reference questions even the real basic ones or those in subjects they happen to be an expert in. Having an overly rigid job description impedes efficiency (Am I starting to talk like a Te?). Ideally, certain tasks should be best left to certain people but if it gets really busy and you know how to do tasks that aren't in your job description, shouldn't you at least be allowed now and then?

I could keep going on and on with this.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    I would have done that, I had a crappy supervisor at the Target Food Court I worked a summer job at like 5 or so years ago. She was all bitchy one day and yelled at me "GRAB A CHEESE".... and I said "Cheese?" and she said "A CHEESE PIZZA, WHAT ELSE IS THERE WITH CHEESE ON IT!!!!!!", and I said "Nachos" lol.... and she got all pissed off at me, but she completely deserved it for treating her employees like shit.
    Oh, I hate it when people are imprecise with their word usage and expect you to read their mind. Just recently I had a customer who walked up to me and said "Jobs." Did he mean that he wanted books on job searching? Did he want to get on a computer to search for jobs? Or did he want to arrange an appointment to speak with a job search counselor who comes to the library a couple times a month? Well it turned out it was the latter of the three options but it took me a couple minutes to realize that after ruling out the first two. The customer was very impatient and thought me stupid for not being able to read his mind right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteronfireee View Post
    That's pretty dumb. Why shouldn't they? I can't predict my digestive systems every move
    Well why not? Do you have weak ?
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    Oh, I hate it when people are imprecise with their word usage and expect you to read their mind. Just recently I had a customer who walked up to me and said "Jobs." Did he mean that he wanted books on job searching? Did he want to get on a computer to search for jobs? Or did he want to arrange an appointment to speak with a job search counselor who comes to the library a couple times a month? Well it turned out it was the latter of the three options but it took me a couple minutes to realize that after ruling out the first two. The customer was very impatient and thought me stupid for not being able to read his mind right away.
    Yea I don't like that either, but in my situation it was worse because the supervisor I had really had no business being a supervisor. She had no patience with other people, was a lousy teacher, had bad moods and couldn't keep it professional, and would complain constantly about having headaches. Apparently she was the manager of the food court at Target because she worked as a short order cook for a few years, but she really had no knack for having people under her supervision. She acted more like she was a victim for having people to deal with, instead of like someone who was a director/supervisor. She had no business being the supervisor, what she should have done was work in the food court with a high pay instead, she clearly was skilled, but had horrible skills as a supervisor.

The food court I worked at was pretty odd, everyone that worked there was rough around the edges... it was like a farce comedy, and it was only a summer job to make cash, my memories of my experiences there are hazy and its hard to believe I actually worked there lol.