Thread: Star Trek characters

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I watched through the Original Series lately, and am now part-way through the movies before moving on to TNG. Looking back, I think I got two out of three right in my initial assessment. Kirk and Spock I am now quite firmly convinced are SLE and LII, respectively. Spock, especially, exemplifies N-LII.

McCoy was more difficult. Obviously he's ethical; that's the root of his whole character. I eventually settled on EIE (possibly N-EIE). The key was understanding the difference between -Fe and +Fe. ESE (-Fe) tries to avoid negative feelings and create a generally pleasant atmosphere. EIE (+Fe) seeks out the best positive emotions, and doesn't mind creating negative emotions if it will result in a payoff of higher positive emotions. I think McCoy's cantankerousness is indicative of the latter, making him either Beta or Gamma. Considering the inter-type relations -- McCoy and Kirk are closer than Spock is to either, making it likely they're in the same Quadra -- I think EIE makes the most sense.

Anyway, let's see:

Kirk: D-SLE
    Spock: N-LII
    McCoy: N-EIE

Uhura: ESI maybe?
    Chekov: Feeling. IEE or SEI?
    Scotty: ST of some kind. LSI?
    Sulu: Not sure. IEI or something?

Khan: D-EIE, for sure. He's got the classic ******/Mohammed charismatic leader thing.
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the latest film at least, Scotty (Simon Pegg) is ILE.

I'm interested in people's thoughts about Spock's type vs. Sarek's (his father), who is also a clear Ti dominant.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    In the latest film at least, Scotty (Simon Pegg) is ILE.

I'm interested in people's thoughts about Spock's type vs. Sarek's (his father), who is also a clear Ti dominant.
    I just finished watching Star Trek III. I think Scotty is probably Delta ST, perhaps LSE.

I tend to think Sarek was LII or LSI. Hard to tell. Spock's mother, however, seems likely to have been ESE, I think.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJB28 View Post
    Kirk: IEE
    Spock: LII
    McCoy: ESE
    Scotty: SLI

However.. a dual relationship is not how I'd describe the one between Spock & McCoy- but looking at those types.. that's what makes the most sense.
    I already typed them with intertype relations in mind.
    Kirk: EIE
    Spock: LII-Ti E1
    McCoy: ESI

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ???
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    Hmm, that does make a certain amount of sense, relationship-wise. Kirk-Spock being semi-duality, Kirk-McCoy being Mirage, and Spock-McCoy being Super-Ego. Still, I have a hard time seeing Kirk, the "man of action", as anything but SLE.

On the other hand, given the subtypes I assigned them, those could match up that way. Either way, you've given me serious pause.

The only thing I'm close to 100% sure of is that Spock is LII. Nimoy exercised a lot of control over the development of the character, and I think he put a lot of himself into Spock. Interestingly, having listened to an interview where Nimoy described his relationship with Gene Roddenberry, I got the impression that Roddenberry may have been IEE, and Nimoy supervised him. He said that he was a "thorn in the side" of Roddenberry, because he was always saying "No, you should do it this way..."
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    The only thing I'm close to 100% sure of is that Spock is LII. Nimoy exercised a lot of control over the development of the character, and I think he put a lot of himself into Spock. Interestingly, having listened to an interview where Nimoy described his relationship with Gene Roddenberry, I got the impression that Roddenberry may have been IEE, and Nimoy supervised him. He said that he was a "thorn in the side" of Roddenberry, because he was always saying "No, you should do it this way..."
    Nimoy is LSE.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nimoy is LSE.
    Now that I disagree with.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Now that I disagree with.
    An LII would not be that good of an actor. I considered LSE for Spock because I was having trouble separating the character from the actor. I watched Nimoy on some bonus features on a DVD. I am LSE, I am familiar with some old LSE guys, and Leonard Nimoy is LSE.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An LII would not be that good of an actor. I considered LSE for Spock because I was having trouble separating the character from the actor. I watched Nimoy on some bonus features on a DVD. I am LSE, I am familiar with some old LSE guys, and Leonard Nimoy is LSE.
    Any type can act if they're playing their own type. LIIs tend to be careful method actors who analyze their characters in-depth and need to understand their inner motivations and history -- just like Nimoy. No-one else on the show studied their own characters like Nimoy did, or had their own opinions on what the show should be like Nimoy. The Delta ST style of acting tends to be more mechanical -- the "think of a nice juicy steak to give the appearance of longing" school of thought. I dunno, I find him far too abstract, analytical, and big-picture oriented to be LSE. The Ti-Base seems pretty evident to me -- he spends time analyzing the nature of things, not figuring out and employing the best method to do things.

I could see James Doohan being LSE before Nimoy, although I think Doohan himself might have been SLI.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Any type can act if they're playing their own type. LIIs tend to be careful method actors who analyze their characters in-depth and need to understand their inner motivations and history -- just like Nimoy. No-one else on the show studied their own characters like Nimoy did, or had their own opinions on what the show should be like Nimoy. The Delta ST style of acting tends to be more mechanical -- the "think of a nice juicy steak to give the appearance of longing" school of thought. I dunno, I find him far too abstract, analytical, and big-picture oriented to be LSE. The Ti-Base seems pretty evident to me -- he spends time analyzing the nature of things, not figuring out and employing the best method to do things.
    Nimoy's style is more mechanical. I saw a Bonanza episode with him in it. I could tell the way he portrayed his character was pre-planned and that he could do an identical performance on cue. I'm an LSE actress, so I know what I'm looking for. It's not "Think of a nice, juicy steak." It's "Position your facial muscles correctly."

Also, during a couple Star Trek episodes Spock showed emotion. Particularly the one with the happiness-inducing plants. That was not an LII performance.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations, Abbie on writing one of the worst rationales in this thread.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nimoy's style is more mechanical. I saw a Bonanza episode with him in it. I could tell the way he portrayed his character was pre-planned and that he could do an identical performance on cue. I'm an LSE actress, so I know what I'm looking for. It's not "Think of a nice, juicy steak." It's "Position your facial muscles correctly."

Also, during a couple Star Trek episodes Spock showed emotion. Particularly the one with the happiness-inducing plants. That was not an LII performance.
    Well, it seems unlikely that we're ever going to agree on this. We could have a big long debate and in the end never waver from our positions, but why go through the motions? At least we can agree that Spock is LII, eh?
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Congratulations, Abbie on writing one of the worst rationales in this thread.
    Thank you.
    Well, it seems unlikely that we're ever going to agree on this. We could have a big long debate and in the end never waver from our positions, but why go through the motions? At least we can agree that Spock is LII, eh?
    Sure. LII-Ti E1 to be more precise.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kirk ENFj
    Spock LII or LSI

I always found Data to be somewhat INTp

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you.

Sure. LII-Ti E1 to be more precise.
    Agreed.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just watched Star Trek IV, and I find I can't dismiss these typings. Kirk being EIE would resolve some of the small nagging issues in the back of my mind. I am going to have to re-examine the characters, as well as take a closer look at my mental conceptions of the Beta extraverts.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    LII-IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both Kirk and McCoy are hard to type. I can see why you type Kirk as ESTp and McCoy as ENFj, Krig. But is one of Kirk's strengths and McCoy isn't overly intuitive. My opinion:
    Kirk: ENTp-ESTp
    McCoy: ESFj-INFp

Some months ago I typed Kirk as ENFp as suggested in this thread. But ENFps are completely different as I know today. Kirk is clearly a logical type with the qualities of both an Inventor and a Conqueror, ENTp-ESTp...

McCoy clearly looks like an ESFj to me - but the tricky subtype, strengthened vulnerable function ...

Intertype relations are not quite realistic: Spock and McCoy should get along very well - but they don't. Maybe Roddenberry should have studied socionics...

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ???
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Melody Man View Post

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

any opinions 6 years later on the original cast?

I'm starting to watch, still in the middle of the first season. all I have is kirk SLE>SEE, based on his relationship with spock, LSI.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Kirk: EIE?
    Spock: LII (alpha > beta, super-ego > business with McCoy)

Worf: LSI
    Picard: ESI
    Troi: IEI
    Riker: SEE
    Guinan: ILI (edit: I've reconsidered and think IEI)
    Geordi: LSE

Jadzia Dax: IEE
    Kira Nerys: SEE
    Quark: EIE
    Rom: LII
    Odo: LSI
    Sisko: ?
    Bashir: ILE
    O'Brien: SLI
    Garak: Beta NF

Seven: LIE
    Janeway: ?
    Chakotay: SLI
    B'Elanna: IEI?
    Paris: SLE
    Neelix: ESE
    Tuvok: LSI
    Doctor: ILE
    Kim: LSE?

I think it's hard for me to type all of the captains, because they're often written as superheroes.
    Last edited by April; 08-08-2016 at 07:56 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kirk: EIE?
    Spock: LSI
    (original series spock only)
    Uhura: ESE (original series only)

Worf: LSI
    - the issues i have with worf... which ST is it? SLE is possible yet he's so uptight and rational and so heavily rule-oriented. one issue in the relationship with jadzia was the amazing stick up his ass (ultimately why she left). then there was the highly disciplined way in which he tried to raise alexander... this leads to LSI (is running things here?)... but somehow he looks more like an extroverted ST... so this makes me wonder about LSE. it's also interesting to note that worf's parents seemed very alpha in the episode(s) they were on, but worf rejects all of their fun and remains a stick in the mud. he strives to be klingon but is more uptight than most klingons (the average klingon considers him a stick in the mud too lol).
    Picard: ESI
    Troi: IEI? i have uncertainties... though i found her relationship with her mother fascinating as her mother, imo, is def EXE-Fe and i detected something that looked supervision-ish... troi hits her mother's lead a lot to sub it in with her own pov, while also feeling suffocated by her mother
    Riker: SEE? maybe an E3 workaholic sort? he is heavy on the
    Guinan: ILI
    Geordi: ESE > ILE?
    Data: omni-INTx + other powerz
    Crusher: EII

Jadzia Dax: IEE
    Kira Nerys: SEE
    Quark: ILE?
    Rom: LII
    Sisko: ESI
    Bashir: LII?
    O'Brien: SLI
    Garak: broken IEI > broken EIE?
    Dukat: EIE

Seven: LIE??
    Janeway: ESI?
    Chakotay: ESI?
    B'Elanna: Beta NF?
    Paris: XLE
    Neelix: ESE
    Tuvok: LSI
    Doctor: ILE

Kim: LII? what kim gets from paris... spontaneity, social situations, an offset to his dry awkwardness involving taking everything literally, humor, an escape from being a nerd, humility or humiliation (counter to his ego), confidence/leadership, a sometimes companion... okay this isn't helping me type kim... i e-typed kim E3 though and i think it's part of the issue. he is so focused on his performance, whether professional or social...
    Kess - SEI > EII ?

Late add

Enterprise characters:
    Archer - LSE?
    T'Pol - ESI?
    Trip - ESE
    Hoshi - LII
    Phlox - ILE
    Travis - SEI?
    Malcolm - LSI
    Last edited by marooned; 12-16-2020 at 02:41 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kirk: SEE?
    McCoy: EIE?
    Spock: LSI
    Uhura: ESE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

William Shatner is SLE. An SLE sick to death of how easily baited 4chan is.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    I always found Data to be somewhat INTp
    Someone reminded me of this show and I haven't seen a lot of it, but I think so too. I relate a lot more with Data than Spock at least.

heh, yeah.

perceiving first.

Fi imo.
    Androgynous Robot Dreamer - Not really human, but good at pretending.

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    blame the merry quadras

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heh.

Yup. He's worried that by setting down the law (Ti), he's losing his friendship (Fi). I'm not inclined to authority positions because of this. They feel conflicting. Like the rules have to matter more than the people or something and you don't know what it's making you into with everyone. I guess Te leading types have less of a problem with that.
    Androgynous Robot Dreamer - Not really human, but good at pretending.

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    blame the merry quadras

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Data's best character development episode is "The Most Toys". Yes, I'm ranking that above "The Measure of a Man" (he basically serves as a maguffin in that one), the cutesy episodes where he gets girlfriends, tries his hand at wedding coordinator, his comic relief in Generations, etc

If we're discussing Fi or Fe, watch "The Most Toys". Also, the moment in the episode that Dalek Caan just referenced is a pretty good insight into his personality and how he approaches interpersonal relations.

Despite having no emotions, we see in many episodes that data has a very nuanced understanding of ethics. I wonder if Dr. Soong studied Jung and Socionics whilst developing his androids.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m watching DS9. Tentative typings:

Sisko: LSE
    Kira: LIE (?)
    Garak: EIE
    Bashir: IxE
    Dukat: SLE
    Jadzia is tough to read. Doesn’t seem to display much. Fi/Te valuing of some sort maybe is as close as I can get.
    Quark isn’t the most fleshed out character, at least at the point where I’m at, but perhaps EIE?

Since it was argued earlier in the thread, I think Picard is ESI. I don’t see Fe in him at all.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Voyager typings:

Janeway: EIE -> LIE/SEE. She changes noticeably over the course of the series - in theory her character is written more like an LIE but played vaguely and sometimes melodramatically until ~s4 where she suddenly turns mean-spirited Gamma.
    Chakotay: ESI > IEI
    B'Elanna: LSI
    Tom Paris: SLE
    Neelix: ESE (The clearest portrayal and one of the best fictional ESE portrayals I've seen. There was even a whole episode about how he struggles with delivering bad news.)
    The Doctor: this character doesn't make any sense. He's initially portrayed as a socially awkward and intellectually arrogant person/entity, somewhere in the ILI/LII/IEI range, but later he goes full blown Fe, singing opera etc., more like an EIE or ILE or something.
    Tuvok: ILI or LSI
    Harry Kim: EII or LII
    Kes: EII
    Seven of Nine: LSI

Overall the character writing is quite poor, both socionically and developmentally, but that's not why people watch Star Trek anyway.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Overall the character writing is quite poor, both socionically
    Good script is rare, especially in today movies.
    Besides it's not easy to describe an imagined character and events in realistic way, there is another factor.
    Characters are often of non-standard people and events are non-standard too - what attacts the interest to watch/read that. This predisposes to more of non-standard behavior and hence harder to fit types. In fanstastic genres should be even more of this.

Also, there can be types with generally better fiting behavior - an analog of a mistake in a type. Anyway, it should be rare when a character would fit good to types theory. It's not real people.
    It's possibly to type seriously only actors. At best, they may play characters with a behavior which is good possible for their types - such roles have higher chance to be perceived good and become famous as are easier to be played by them.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brent Spiner (Data) - introverted, irrational
    Last edited by nifl; 11-13-2022 at 04:51 AM.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE, SLUEN, VFLE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched TOS and TNG more than once. My favorites.

Spock LSI
    Captain Kirk SLE
    Leonard McCoy ESI
    Scotty SLI
    Captain Picard ILI
    Data LII
    William Riker SLE
    Geordi La Forge ILE
    Worf LSI
    Beverly Crusher ESE
    Tasha Yar SEE
    Deanna Troi EII