TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Movement to rename "conflictors"

Observation:

My brother is my Conflictor, in Socionics terms. Thing is, he and I have never conflicted over anything. If anything, our relationship has typically been one of mild interest in each other (because we're siblings), where we can appreciate each others' differing abilities, but should one have to spend more than ten or so minutes listening to the other talk, we would drive each other to weariness and boredom.

I'm imagining myself living alone in a house with my brother...He and I would lead two such completely different lives, we'd probably never see each other. And when we did, our interaction would be very formal and disinterested, rarely going beyond necessary communication. But, on the other hand, we'd probably never really argue with each other, either...we just wouldn't care enough to bother.

"Conflictor" just seems, in this case at least, to be a misnomer. Though, I can't say I really have a good idea for a better name. Will have to give it some thought...

My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe "dissonant" relationship?

I also don't agree with using "valuer," like "Fi valuer." I think it's misleading, since anyone can find the value of a particular function, even though that is not what the phrase is actually referring to. A better word might be a synonym to "prioritizing," imo.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about the term 'relation of incompatibility' - not as negative as the initial one. It came to my mind because the conflicting types are just like two puzzle pieces which don't fit together.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDoomer View Post
    What about the term 'relation of incompatibility' - not as negative as the initial one. It came to my mind because the conflicting types are just like two puzzle pieces which don't fit together.
    The issue with "incompatibility" is that it might just be the same as saying "conflictor" since both make sense when applied to Socionics alone. There's a difference between incompatible in Socionics and incompatible irl, where there are other factors involved.

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synonyms for "conflicting," according to my thesaurus...

adverse, antagonistic, antipathetic, at odds with, clashing, contradictory, contrary, disconsonant, discordant, discrepant, dissonant, incompatible, incongruent, incongruous, inconsistent, inconsonant, opposed, opposing, paradoxical, unfavorable, unmixable.

Interesting that there are essentially two intertype relations with the same name...but, I find that "Contrary" (also called "Extinguishment") seems to be a truly applicable name in the way it's used, but "Conflictor" just doesn't work for me...Actually, maybe "Extinguishment" would be a better name for Conflictors...idk.
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's called conflictor because the functions conflict, not because the people are going to hate each other.

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariella View Post
    It's called conflictor because the functions conflict, not because the people are going to hate each other.
    I know, but it just seems so misleading.
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    The issue with "incompatibility" is that it might just be the same as saying "conflictor" since both make sense when applied to Socionics alone.
    Yeah, you're maybe right. But it still fits pretty well.

I think a conflict does not necessarily include hatred.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Creepy-male

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at close distance you ARE going to hate eachother.

Actually if you read some russian relationship descriptions, you would know that there is mutual attraction in this relationship at the beginning, or at long psychological distance, that's what makes this relationship dangerous. You seem to get along quite well, but that's just the surface. Underneath things are boiling. It's a time bomb, but it just hasn't exploded yet with some of you.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think there is particularly much wrong with the name; if another one was chosen there would probably be some other problem with it that isn't visible straight away.

It would be a particularly bad thing if a politically correct name was chosen that dulls and pacifies the perfectly warranted claim that conflictors get along poorly in a general sense.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only other thing I would call it is "opposition." That's how I conceive of it personally.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer Contrary to Conflict it's straight to the point "opposite" but doesn't necessarily imply enmity
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is nothing wrong with the name. There are also duals that don't get along well. None of this changes the fact that the general pattern holds true.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conflictors aren't hard to get along with, and they're not even horribly uncomfortable to be around ime. The conflict shows up when you're trying to problem-solve together. It's then that you discover how you view things in diametrically opposed ways.

Like Mariella (my conflictor ) said, it's a functional clash, not necessarily a personal one. Obviously the functional can impact the personal, but you can't rely on "this person does/doesn't bug the shit out of me" as a reliable indicator of type relations. Even duals can be fucking annoying.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    Conflictors aren't hard to get along with, and they're not even horribly uncomfortable to be around ime. The conflict shows up when you're trying to problem-solve together. It's then that you discover how you view things in diametrically opposed ways.

Like Mariella (my conflictor ) said, it's a functional clash, not necessarily a personal one. Obviously the functional can impact the personal, but you can't rely on "this person does/doesn't bug the shit out of me" as a reliable indicator of type relations. Even duals can be fucking annoying.
    Apparently, you don't live with Conflictors.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    ha. No, I don't. And honestly, I've never been able to see eye-to-eye enough with any ENFp to want to become friends with them, so yeah, they stay on the casual aquaintance level which probably makes a helluva lot of difference.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    +1

Most socionics sources agree that the best strategy in conflict is avoidance, and for a good reason. Living with a conflictor, it's impossible to do so nearly enough. That's why I personally doubt pianosinger's conflict story, though obviously I can't discuss the typing of an unknown person.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marie84 View Post
    I prefer Contrary to Conflict it's straight to the point "opposite" but doesn't necessarily imply enmity
    Is this coming from a person who stuck to a system (stuck to her own semantics) so bad that she ran away every time Dolphin came on? I guess you don't remember that, but I do.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    I'm imagining myself living alone in a house with my brother...He and I would lead two such completely different lives
    I've lived with my conflictor (ex girlfriend) for 4 years.

Conflict is the right term for this relationship especially at close psychological distance.

Other names for this relationship would be: pent-up rage, danger, deceivement and the best of all: ................................TIME BOMB

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    I've lived with my conflictor (ex girlfriend) for 4 years.

Conflict is the right term for this relationship especially at close psychological distance.

Other names for this relationship would be: pent-up rage, danger, deceivement and the best of all: ................................TIME BOMB
    I like those names better.

As for living with conflictors: Throughout my life I've lived with two SEEs, an LIE, an SEI, two SLIs, an LSI, and an ESI. The people I had the most fights with were the LSI, the LIE, and one of the SLIs. There were certainly other variables at play, but I see no evidence for conflictors being the most "conflicting" types, even if it is the most incompatible and strained socionic relationship. Conflict only occurs when people try to maintain an inappropriate psychological distance - but that happens with any relationship! Just giving my two cents on the issue.