Thread: Signs of Giftedness in Adulthood

Hybrid View

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    Yeah, generally, unless striving for such a goal is what makes you feel happy. I only feel happy when I am working toward some kind of personal, grandiose plan. The idea of settling into a rudimentary, commonplace existence of work/marry/mortgage/kids/soccer/minivan/college/retire/die makes me want to kill myself. What's the point? I'm not a Delta pod person; I need big and I need exciting.
    fwiw, I am the same way, and I'm Delta. I agree w much of what you've said in this thread... I especially like/agree w this exchange:

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post

It's about action people. Sitting around being intelligent, however you define it, helps nobody.

Do God's Will and help other people. Help society. It's like Jesus' parable about talents, that the man with the fewest number of talents, who had developed what he had and used them to help others, was looked on with the most favor.

Maybe even this thread misses the point. It doesn't just have to be intelligent people who can greatly contribute to society.
    [<-- not that part, since I don't think contributing to society is the thing to strive for at all] Everyone, no matter what they're born with and given, must develop their talents to the best of their abilities.
    The goal shouldn't be to contribute to society, it should be to do whatever happens to be the thing that makes you happy.

That said, I think one's general level of intelligence, perhaps omitting the super dumb and the super smart, has little to do with the possibility of affecting society in some respectable way.
    I don't think inner restlessness and striving for huge goals are type- or quadra-related... if they are, there's no way I'm in that quadra.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Song View Post
    fwiw, I am the same way, and I'm Delta. I agree w much of what you've said in this thread... I especially like/agree w this exchange:

I don't think inner restlessness and striving for huge goals are type- or quadra-related... if they are, there's no way I'm in that quadra.
    It could be Enneagram-related... maybe an sx dom thing, a need to channel sexual energy into some kind of emotionally intense goal.

Creepy-male

It could be Enneagram-related... maybe an sx dom thing, a need to channel sexual energy into some kind of emotionally intense goal.
    For me it's less about channeling it into achieving goals, but about finding a way of living a beautiful life, finding something transcendant I can unify with. I think it's to do with the way instinct and base type interact.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I discussed before the dichotomy of public vs private. Public people focus more on information aspects that are not necessarily related to them (maybe only indirectly related), while private people focus on aspects that are related directly to them.

Public people ask how they can best relate to the world. Private people ask how the world can best relate to them. Public people expect of themselves, private people expect of others. Most people are private, hence whichever party is in power in a recession, loses badly.

A lot of public people are scared silly of the collective power of private people, especially those who desire highly public visibility. As a group, private people are amenable to demagogues, unless they have sympathetic public leadership.