Thread: Fi ignoring/Fe leading and adapting behavior for ENFjs and ESFjs

Hybrid View

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can u guys give some examples of such scenarios? I'm not sure i totally understand...
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I catch myself doing this sometimes -- it's not so much becoming a different person so much as it's emphasizing different aspects of one's self to fit into different contexts. I always feel guilty when I catch myself doing this, but the truth is that everyone does it to some extent.

An extreme example is the way you use a different tone when you're talking to your boss vs. a close friend -- it's the same kind of discrepancy in self-expression, except it doesn't necessarily stem from the external context of the interaction as much as an awareness of the specific individual(s) you're talking to...if that makes any sense.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limNol View Post
    I catch myself doing this sometimes -- it's not so much becoming a different person so much as it's emphasizing different aspects of one's self to fit into different contexts. I always feel guilty when I catch myself doing this, but the truth is that everyone does it to some extent.

An extreme example is the way you use a different tone when you're talking to your boss vs. a close friend -- it's the same kind of discrepancy in self-expression, except it doesn't necessarily stem from the external context of the interaction as much as an awareness of the specific individual(s) you're talking to...if that makes any sense.
    yeah i think everyone does this. I feel if anything it reflects differing Fi distances rather than Fe.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    yeah i think everyone does this. I feel if anything it reflects differing Fi distances rather than Fe.
    Yeah, everyone does this, but I think different types might do it for different reasons. Fi types probably do it as a way of reflecting and establishing a certain relationship, whereas Fe types might do it more for the sake of maintaining a particular 'emotional atmosphere.'

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I think everyone is guilty of doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    Yeah, everyone does this, but I think different types might do it for different reasons. Fi types probably do it as a way of reflecting and establishing a certain relationship, whereas Fe types might do it more for the sake of maintaining a particular 'emotional atmosphere.'
    Hmmm, no, I actually think this is more the purview of Ethical types. Logical types I think would tend to be more gruff and less comfortable with modifying their behavior to create a certain emotional impact.

Any type can bullshit to make a good impression on others though.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Hmmm, no, I actually think this is more the purview of Ethical types. Logical types I think would tend to be more gruff and less comfortable with modifying their behavior to create a certain emotional impact.

Any type can bullshit to make a good impression on others though.
    nah, i think even logical types behave differently towards their lover than they do towards their boss.

for those of you who say you do it, i wonder how conscious it is for you. it's not something i think about doing, and when somebody comments about something like, "your voice sounds different when you're on the phone with so-and-so" it takes me by surprise because i hadn't even noticed.

TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's an automatic thing for me, too, but more and more I'm trying to be conscious of it. I realized that people who knew me in different capacities sometimes had completely different conceptions of me, and somewhere along the way the "real me" was getting lost in translation.

edit- In terms of ethical vs. logical types, I think it's a continuum. Everyone does it to different extents, but ethical types are more to one side of the continuum than logical types.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh View Post
    nah, i think even logical types behave differently towards their lover than they do towards their boss.
    Clearly, but it'd be harder for them. Logical types (IxTx's especially) I find, tend to be somewhat Spock-like and need some help letting loose. That's why they need us Ethicals.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

Mentioned
    760 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh View Post
    I'm actually more likely to alter my behavior temporarily for a business reason then for a lover. If someone like that doesn't like me for who I am then what's the point? A lover is going to get me more like myself when I'm alone then anyone else.

This is not to say that I won't do certain things in order to attain/maintain a relationship that I find necessary but the moment I feel the alteration is untenable or not worth the emotional rewards, it's over.

Fundamentally I'm looking for someone who likes me for who I am, since I feel I'm pretty cool already.

I might ask someone to do something for me, but I would never ask anyone to be someone for me and this is what I want in return. I tend to eventually grow apart from people that tried to be what I wanted but was just putting on a facade.

However, I do happen to behave differently with people I care about such as caring about them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Errrr, I do that unconsciously and all the time.

THAT I can agree with.