Do you believe in this Nietzsche quote? What sort of validity or value does it have?

In answering this question, please consider metrics for determining strength (re: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...-weakness.html) and the differential effects of mental vs. physical pain or trauma.

Personally, I think this sentiment makes a nice Hallmark card and perhaps contains some motivational value, but I still see it as mostly baloney. First, it's generally unlikely that trauma leads to subsequent strength. Given that fulfilling certain societal norms reflects a type of strength, we have to admit that previous trauma makes one more likely to struggle with or fail at these norms. For example, drug addicts and homeless people are more likely than the general population to have experienced childhood abuse or neglect. Secondly, hardship does not lend itself to concurrent strength. Multiple stressors, in general, have a compounding effect rather than a mitigating one.

In the previously cited thread, it seemed like several of you equated strength with adherence to principles. I concede that being challenged and engaging in defending one's principles could strengthen those beliefs and lead to increased certainty. But does strength in belief demonstrate strength of character? What if that belief is wrong?

I'd like to feel otherwise about this quote because it would be comfortable, though, so please argue away.