Thread: Should anything even be said about Enneagram type 6s since they are so contradictory?

Hybrid View

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Should anything even be said about Enneagram type 6s since they are so contradictory?

Apparently whatever one type 6 is, there's always another type 6 elsewhere that's the opposite.

So why is anything said at all? And what good does having a 'type 6' do if even the typical features such as loyalty and anxiety don't always hold?

I see a hole in the theory.

Creepy-male

Short answer because I'm being distracted by loud music: because the Enneagram doesn't look at external behaviour. If it did, Sixes wouldn't be the only problem primary type.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Despite E6s being so "diverse," the one thing they all have in common is a strong desire for security. This video has some really good info about E6:

Specifically take a look at where he talks about fears of the E6: the dying alone, not being able to trust a single person, etc etc. At the deepest level this is something shared by all E6s, even though most are healthy enough to not let these fears completely override their psyches.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm. Much of this makes sense, but I still have a slight problem.

Let's say I have it on good authority that I'm probably a 6. Specifically a 6w5 sx, 649. I would say I have a serious problem with guidance, not necessarily security. I don't feel like someone's always out to get me, and I'm pretty laid back (this is where I point out that I have no trouble going against what other people want, nor do I value peace of mind per se).

That's not to say I don't have strong fear responses in regards to intimacy, but if it can be selective like that then the idea that it's all-pervasive is misleading.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KazeCraven View Post
    I would say I have a serious problem with guidance, not necessarily security.
    Can you elaborate?
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Certainly.

I have trouble knowing what I want, or what I should do, but I'm not worried about getting attacked or losing things.

And now, even though I'm pretty sure I know what I want, I have serious doubts that it'll lead to fulfillment.

I don't worry about whether something is too risky; I worry that it's the wrong choice (when it pertains to finding fulfillment).
    Last edited by KazeCraven; 11-18-2010 at 12:47 PM.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KazeCraven View Post
    Apparently whatever one type 6 is, there's always another type 6 elsewhere that's the opposite.

So why is anything said at all? And what good does having a 'type 6' do if even the typical features such as loyalty and anxiety don't always hold?

I see a hole in the theory.
    The 6-fixation is shared by all sixes (obviously). That's what makes them all a six. They say sixes are so varied because the six fixation is to adhere to something for security and reliability. Anything. So while one six will hold on to one ideal or trait, another six could hold on to the opposite.

The head triad asks, what can I be sure of, or what can I rely on? The six being in the middle of the triad has the most frantic kind of mental energy which questions everything including them-self leaving them paranoid and unsure of everything, and so they must find something in life they can reasonably trust or rely on to get them through things with some kind of stability and reassurance.
    Last edited by Azeroffs; 11-17-2010 at 10:49 PM.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 is my lucky number. I shit you not!

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged