• I consider it to be true, but it isn’t hugely important to me

19 36.54%
  • I wish I could care more about it, either way\I don’t really give two shits

1 1.92%
  • I have my suspicions about it

2 3.85%
  • I don’t place faith in the theory of evilution

6 11.54%

Thread: What is your view on the theory of evolution by natural selection?

Hybrid View

Creepy-male

Yea lol "I believe in it", but belief isn't the right word, the thing the media never understands about evolution is its not in competition against religion. Religion and Science aren't competitors, they are totally different aspects of society and life. Science isn't concerned with beliefs but investigations, science is a grand enterprise of investigation of our universe at the most deep and profound level. So to say "I believe in evolution" is a false statement, something more like "I am convinced of its validity" is good. But beyond just being like a scientist and all like "I concur", the important thing is that I find it fascinating to think about, and I think people who consider it evil or incorrect are uncreative and bland moralists.

First thing to understand is people don't evolve from apes but rather that the apes we see evolved from the same evolutionary branch we as humans did. Humans today didn't evolve from modern day apes, humans evolved from ancient ape-like species that no longer exist. Modern day apes didn't exist either, they evolved from ancient ape-like species also. If you go far enough back you reach a common branch on the evolutionary tree where the primates evolved from other species.

Second thing is that natural selection doesn't work like a fish going out of water occasionally and all of sudden gills appear. Its an extremely long term process. Certain attributes appear due to natural variation on different members of a species and these attributes in some way lend them a superiority in surviving, which of course reinforces their ability to reproduce and carry those traits on. Natural selection favors traits that lead to reproduction and survival and not "strength". As to what causes natural variation, this is the complexity of DNA and mutations.

And that is purely biological evolution, there is also chemical/astronomical evolution which works on a much larger scale, and is a lot more fascinating in my opinion. Stars are like cosmic forges from the elements, if humanity were to master the energy of the sun (fusion) we could cast elements together and break them apart, forming matter at the atomic level, progressing man's control over matter from mere tools, to the blacksmith, to the cosmic level of building things from atoms-- quantum computers, architecture on the atomic scale (nanotechnology), and so forth. Just imagine, an entire computer, a city the size of a grain of sugar on the tip of your index finger.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

natural selection is evident
    the mistake there is to think what happens is absolute accidental process

in quantum physics there is no objective reality, as a human which just watches - changes results
    anything is linked with anything

could the world be other? It's doubtful
    from this point the world is created (by past events going to 0 time point)
    in the same time we may describe what see as having accidentality. it's a simplification, a model which is correct and useful in some abstract and practical borders