Thread: So really, the ONLY benefit to being with your dual

Hybrid View

Creepy-male

Steve, the first half of your post was good.

That said, where I think you're missing the mark is not saying anything abut Duality. Sure, couples of other intertypes can "make things work", as you say, but what is the overall quality of the relationship?

Put it another way, there's probably a good reason why everyone, for the most part, on these forums who has experienced Duality has only good things to say about it I'm not trying to undermine your post or anything, and I'm happy for you that things are so happy for you with your wife, but I just wanted to add to what you were saying.

six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is that the aspects of human relationships are far broader than that, duality or not. Some make it seem as if so long as you have a duality type relationship then everything else will miraculously work out no matter how big the differences. I don't think that's realistic at all. If you can have 'all of the above' and duality that's undoubtedly exceptional and the very best you could ever hope to have.
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by stevENTj View Post
    The problem is that the aspects of human relationships are far broader than that, duality or not. Some make it seem as if so long as you have a duality type relationship then everything else will miraculously work out no matter how big the differences. I don't think that's realistic at all. If you can have 'all of the above' and duality that's undoubtedly exceptional and the very best you could ever hope to have.
    Bolded is absolutely spot on. Duality is not a panacea, it's just the best possible context for an already good-quality relationship.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think also we should also see duality in contexts other than a romantic relationship. Duals can be platonic friends, bosses, coworkers, or even just acquaintances. Regardless of which of these a duality manifests itself in, I think one particular quality of duality is each dual having a profound influence on the other. Even in such things as re-examining ones life choices, or seeing a "role model", etc.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lest anyone think I've gone AWOL, I am here...just taking in all the replies. And thank you
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    I think also we should also see duality in contexts other than a romantic relationship. Duals can be platonic friends, bosses, coworkers, or even just acquaintances. Regardless of which of these a duality manifests itself in, I think one particular quality of duality is each dual having a profound influence on the other. Even in such things as re-examining ones life choices, or seeing a "role model", etc.
    Yes that's very true on the different roles for relationships.

For myself, I actually think an SEE duality for me would probably be better in the stereotypical context of an ILI "Analyst" advising an SEE "Politician" on current political trends as a business/client type relationship than I can as a romantic one. The few SEEs I know are quite active, and always going places and doing things which might end up burning me out. In fact my wife seemed to be in a very SEE-like mode this summer wanting to go a zillion places. I seriously burned out. Don't know if I could keep up with an SEE in a romantic relationship, at least based on the SEEs I know.
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post
    Bolded is absolutely spot on. Duality is not a panacea, it's just the best possible context for an already good-quality relationship.
    That's not true; duals live within each other, so they need each other anyway; they need each other to give them the advice on things they are looking for answers for but are in their subconscious; things about themselves they knew but couldn't find the words to express. The dual lives within the mind.

Anyway, my addition to this threat:

Confictors may have similar political views, taste in food, interest in the same TV programs/shows, entertainment, religion/faith/beliefs; my conflictory types and I enjoy a lot of the same interests, but we don't agree that one should practice being good for practice, as my conflictors focus on experiencing and gathering experiences. I am also much more concerned about living a life style that is inviting and for the lack of a better word, keeps up appearances for my self, family, community. My conflictory types are not concerned about these appearances, as they are only concerned about keeping a lifestyle that's comfortable for them. I like to protect the integrity of the family (for the risk of sounding God Father-ish ) for the same reasons about keeping private and keeping up appearances, which again is not a concern of SLE; I am a lot more conscientious about how I carry this off while most other EII will be very aggressive and forceful about looking and keeping this type of lifestyle.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html