Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type a child?

Is it possible to fully type a child? I asked someone about this in a PM conversation and she said yes, with qualifications. So, I'll post some photos of my son, who's seven, and see what folks come up with. This isn't, like, a VI "test," so I'll give info about his personality. Of course, I'm not so objective, as I'm his mom, and I'm never sure what information is most relevant.

He seems to be introverted. Setting aside that he's shy, which kids can grow out of, he doesn't take social initiative but waits for others to approach. Then he gets along well with them, with occasional fights. He's very smart but also very emotional--I call him the Drama King. Takes things very personally. Very sensitive overall. Intense, not easygoing. Gets moody, grumpy, a little melancholy compared to other kids. Not all that socially adept.

He's pretty tall for his age, and he's thin, was born thin/long. He'll probably end up at 6'2'' or so.

Has a huge vocabulary for his age, deeply into the Hardy Boys at this point. Has surprised me by being good at math so far, really enjoying it more than I ever did. He can beat me in many games of strategy. He remembers patterns and distances in various board games, or with cards he can work out his hand a few turns in advance, etc., which I suck at.

Likes to travel, likes adventure. Likes museums, cities--not necessarily the kid attractions, although those are fine too. Very, very fast runner (compared to other boys his age), great stamina (can ride his bike for 14-16 miles on hilly terrain). Good at cross-country skiing. Excellent manual dexterity. He is not a daredevil, though, compared to some other boys his age. More cautious.

He pays a lot of attention to his environment, notices details. Watches me drive and asks me questions about that, will point out when someone's driving poorly. He's good at navigating sidewalks, parking lots, trails, etc.

He surprises me with being sort of philosophical. He enjoys discussions on "big things," like human perception and the nature of the solar system--limited by his age level, of course. Last year we had an ongoing discussion/exploration of the history of roadways--how they came to be how they are today, and why. He enjoys learning facts, but only if the facts are well contextualized, as he seems a little bit oriented toward the big picture. BUT that may be a result of my guidance, since I'm a big-pic gal.

Great sense of humor. Likes to invent his own words and/or distort language. Hard worker. Perfectionist about schoolwork but sloppy about most other things. Slightly competitive.

His most outstanding talent so far is in visual art. He has drawn and painted some truly amazing things and can spend hours at it, creating a sort of series of pictures that all have the same theme. Invented superheroes and their nemeses (like Frying Pan Man and Bacon Boy). Or a 15-foot long road race that you have to unfurl across the room to understand (papers taped together, continuous road, one car per page, etc.). This is all very open-ended. He constantly comes up with new approaches to make art, and he likes to look at books of artworks, and discuss what he sees there or in galleries. Clear ideas of what he does/doesn't like visually, what matches/doesn't match, is/isn't beautiful or interesting.

Not sure what else is distinct from what most every kid is like.

Photos going slightly backward in time from last week, with one shot from when he was quite a bit younger that shows more clearly what his eyes are like:

Last edited by golden; 10-08-2010 at 01:31 AM.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”