Thread: Recipe sharing thread

Hybrid View

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    ...pizza...
    cool. going to try this one too. I've never had a good home-made pizza recipe.

Creepy-bg

CILi should I even attempt it without the stone?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    look in the Thread Tools tab on the top of the thread, there's a "printable thread" option there... I've never used it so I don't know what it does.
    It worked.

CILi should I even attempt it without the stone?
    We have a stone. It makes a great frozen pizza tray. When we make homemade pizza, we just use cookie sheets.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    We have a stone.
    that doesn't help me any.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DA
    I would have suggested paying the neighbor a friendly visit.
    Thought about that too, but kinda doubted they'd buy me one.

Quote Originally Posted by bionicgoat
    Should I even attempt it without the stone?
    Very much yeah. Go for it, anyway.

A couple slabs of unglazed soapstone or quarry tile would probably be your next best bet; but lest you've got a couple of those just sitting in your kitchen, go the skillet route.

Pre-heat a cast-iron or stainless steel skillet on your stove-top until it smokes a bit (3-5 minutes, or so). Place a flattened-out, untopped pizza dough in the skillet, then top with the cheese/olive-oil/spices/etc., and THEN transfer the pizza (skillet and all) to the oven. Oven should be set to BROIL; skillet should be set on highest possible rack in the oven (just barely giving it enough space to actually fit inside). Somewhere between 2-4 minutes later, your char should appear; the pizza comes out; and the eat commences.

NOTE: Unless you're the next Iron Chef, you'll seriously blow the first couple pizzas. Happens to everyone. Ugly as it might look, just laugh it off and enjoy anyway. Pizza's pizza. You can't not smile eating it.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    Pre-heat a cast-iron or stainless steel skillet on your stove-top until it smokes a bit (3-5 minutes, or so). Place a flattened-out, untopped pizza dough in the skillet, then top with the cheese/olive-oil/spices/etc., and THEN transfer the pizza (skillet and all) to the oven. Oven should be set to BROIL; skillet should be set on highest possible rack in the oven (just barely giving it enough space to actually fit inside). Somewhere between 2-4 minutes later, your char should appear; the pizza comes out; and the eat commences.

NOTE: Unless you're the next Iron Chef, you'll seriously blow the first couple pizzas. Happens to everyone. Ugly as it might look, just laugh it off and enjoy anyway. Pizza's pizza. You can't not smile eating it.
    oh cool! I've heard of the quarry tile thing (I think from a Good Eats episode) but I don't have money or a job to go acquire one with. I do have an iron skillet though!

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Fish and Chips
    One Fish
    Some Chips
    Salt
    Vinegar
    Tomato Ketchup

Lime Surprise
    Limes

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    Lime Surprise
    Limes
    what's the surprise?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

what's the surprise?
    It only has limes in it.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Sausage Hotpot
    2-3 tins of baked beans
    650-750 grams of potatoes (or whatever)
    A pound of sausages (or whatever)
    1 or 2 onions (if you want)
    Salt, Vinegar, Turmeric (or whatever, if you want)

Cut the sausages into pieces, chop the onions - fry them in a frying pan thing.
    Slice the potatoes not too thickly. Fry the slices in a fryer if you have one, for a short time. Otherwise, just put them on top of the beans and the onion and sausage mixture in some casserole dish. Cook everything in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 40 to 50 minutes or more, depending on how you do things and how things are going, yeah. Put the lid on for the first half, and then take it off for the second half. This is all probably enough for 4 to 6 people.

Mentioned
    760 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

http://www.moosewoodcooks.com/2011/07/vegetable-jambalaya/

Good recipe for Vegans and Meat eaters alike. I'm not a vegetarian or friend of vegetarians, but their cookbooks generally have great vegan/vegetarian recipes.

Add 1 pound andouille sausage or other hard smokey sausage or ham, and 1 pound of chicken/shrimp and increasing spice and and roux by 1/2 as much.

Can make Pesctarian by omitting the sausage and adding squid/fish along with a bit of smoked paprika to taste.

Make the roux and don't forget the Okra, these two components give the dish a wonderful mouthfeel.

Vegetable Jambalaya Print

Recipe type: Main Dish
    Author: Moosewood Collective
    Serves: 8
    Jambalaya is more quickly prepared if you cook the stew and the roux at the same time. The roux does require about 30 minutes of close attention, but happily the stew cooks for about the same amount of time, with just occasional attention. So we suggest that you get all the ingredients chopped, measured, and ready, and start the stew. Then begin the roux while you finish the stew.
    Ingredients
    • STEW:
    • 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
    • 1 cup chopped onions
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 1 cup carrots, sliced diagonally, ⅛ inch thick
    • 1 cup chopped celery
    • 2 cups coarsely chopped red and green bell peppers (about 1 of each color)
    • 2 teaspoon dried basil (2 tablespoons fresh)
    • teaspoon dried thyme
    • 2 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned
    • 10 ounces frozen whole baby okra (or 2 cups fresh whole baby okra)
    • 3 cups vegetable stock or water
    • teaspoon ground allspice
    • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste) chopped fresh parsley
    • ROUX:
    • cup vegetable oil
    • cup unbleached white flour
    • TOPPINGS:
    • salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    • chopped parsley
    • chopped scallions
    • grated smoked Swiss or cheddar cheese
    Instructions
    1. For the stew, in a large stew pot, heat the oil. Add the onions, garlic, and bay leaves and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent.
    2. (Start the roux now.)
    3. Stir in the carrots, celery, bell peppers, basil, and thyme.
    4. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
    5. Add the tomatoes, okra, stock, and remaining spices.
    6. Cover and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

omg octo i made that exact shortbread recently over the holidays!

i would recommend using twice the amount of butter that recipe calls for though--the dough didn't hold up

(dark chocolate dessert cup, vanilla bean ice cream, topped with ginger dessert sauce, and matcha cookie)