Thread: Ne types vs Ni types and memory

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Ne types vs Ni types and memory

It seems to me that types have much worse memory than types, who actually have excellent memory. Im not sure why this is, but in my observations of the two types they seem that way. I remember an ENFp friend as a teenager telling me he didnt remember most things. Ive always had excellent memory except for most events though not trying to brag though now I feel my memory has gotten weaker maybe because of all the pot I smoked, lol. Seriously though what are your thoughts on this? True or false?

PS: To all the types out there Im sorry if im turning into Hugo making seem like you are inferior somehow, that is not the case you guys just suck at remembering things, Im sure you're good at plenty of other stuff though.
    Join my Enneagram Discord: https://discord.gg/ND4jCAcs

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well your analysis is true for me. Because I have a super de duper uber good memory. I can't just let things go and go with the flow like alphas/deltas want me to though. So it's not all sunshine and lollipops either. But I can't help it as it's just the way my brain functions.

Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    Because I have a super de duper uber good memory. I can't just let things go and go with the flow like alphas/deltas want me to though. So it's not all sunshine and lollipops either. But I can't help it as it's just the way my brain functions.
    Yeah, I know what you're saying the whole "just relax" thing is a stress to my POLR. The more they tell me to relax, the more it makes me paranoid. I dont wanna derail this thread I just relate to what you're saying(trying to make use of my 7th function you see).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL Yeah, my memory isn't the greatest. Things kinda run together or I just plain forget them altogether...not useful when I'm trying to introspect.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My memory's pretty solid, but I'm not sure recall is necessarily "worse" than . Maybe just different.

In my potentially REALLY off-base view, 's like teleporting directly from NOW to MEMORY, in the fastest possible straight line; whereas zig-zags all over the place, bouncing from point-to-point in 3-D space 'til it eventually hits that same MEMORY. One path's a heck of a lot more efficient, but the other makes some pretty interesting stops along the way. Both trains have the same destination, but might be more likely to get lost on some crazy tangent and never bother getting to where it was headed in the first place.

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a sense I agree with the OP. Why remember a ton of facts about a problem when you can build your own creative solution in the process of confronting it, cleverly inducting it from the available materials, like a game of wits? Plus remembering a huge swathe of details about something sui generis distracts from the ability to generalize it to a more abstract and encompassing classification.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on what memories you're talking about. types will remember things within the realm of , and will remember things with the realm of .

Like in general intuitive types will remember their impression of something more than explicit details of things.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    Depends on what memories you're talking about. types will remember things within the realm of , and will remember things with the realm of .
    I meant more memories related to events/experiences

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never memorize something that you can look up. --Einstein.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    And Ne bases will be able to construct new Ne information from remembered Ne, etc.

Makes me wonder if there's some sort of link between I/E and how memory-intensive elements are. Because humans obviously have limited storage space, right? Eventually you run out of space. I would think different elements leave less or more unused space.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    Hey Azer, didn't you say before that you had really bad memory?
    Yeah I do.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Thank you.
    It is type related because I've noticed that my mom, who is a Ni base, and my father, who is Ni role, can both remember a lot of stuff, whereas I can not. These things they remember are things in Time/event line. My memory is in processes, things in evolution.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an excellent memory when it comes to past events, peoples' preferences, faces, maps, directions, and smell. I have horrible 5-second memory, it's possible that if you ask me to repeat something I wasn't planning on remembering just after I said it, I would have completely forgot it. Read the above.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...not type related.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember things I need to remember and forget things I don't give a shit about.
    IEE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I wish I could remember detailed and S type of information like my dual can, but in the mean while, I remember interesting ideas and sources where interesting ideas and new/novel solutions can be found. I also remember more Si stuff now then ever.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    ...not type related.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Type-related, but rather subjective. I'll go with the theory that the type of information that's remembered is IE-related. Memory of events, especially events with dates, would be most suited for Gamma NTs. On the other hand, we know what Alpha NTs like to discuss... and that's also what we'll remember: theoretical constructs. Whether someone has a "good memory" will depend on what they're asked to remember.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Type-related, but rather subjective. I'll go with the theory that the type of information that's remembered is IE-related. Memory of events, especially events with dates, would be most suited for Gamma NTs. On the other hand, we know what Alpha NTs like to discuss... and that's also what we'll remember: theoretical constructs. Whether someone has a "good memory" will depend on what they're asked to remember.
    Okay, I'll buy that. It probably doesn't have a perfect correlation to type (nothing does), but I'd bet it would be a statistically significant relationship, were it possible to test for such things reliably.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    It seems to me that types have much worse memory than types, who actually have excellent memory. Im not sure why this is, but in my observations of the two types they seem that way. I remember an ENFp friend as a teenager telling me he didnt remember most things. Ive always had excellent memory except for most events though not trying to brag though now I feel my memory has gotten weaker maybe because of all the pot I smoked, lol. Seriously though what are your thoughts on this? True or false?

PS: To all the types out there Im sorry if im turning into Hugo making seem like you are inferior somehow, that is not the case you guys just suck at remembering things, Im sure you're good at plenty of other stuff though.
    i can remember salient facts from every year of my 46 that i've been alive. i remember what i feel is important though. and what i feel is important may be different than what other people feel is important. my family members frequently remind me of things that happened in the past that i can't...but i do keep a timeline in my mind...all the time.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    i can remember salient facts from every year of my 46 that i've been alive. i remember what i feel is important though. and what i feel is important may be different than what other people feel is important.
    yeah, same here. it's weird getting together with my brother and sharing memories cause we each remember some completely different things!

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ILI excellent memory

I have memories from when I was Two years old or even before, for certain at two years, and clear detail of anything. I recall things I did, places went, lived, went to school, teachers, classes, groups, friends ... we moved to another region when I was 7, then to a totally different State when I was 13, then a few more times after that in a basic area in that State & I can recall everything about everything ... then there's all the stuff since I grew up, I'm 44 now and add more and more and more info all the time. Practically nothing ever really filters, always able to call it up if some reason something triggers the thoughts, or sometimes for no reason at all.

That's just real life stuff. Now then there's the ILI inner imaginary worlds ... detail upon detail from many mind journeys available at will.

My SEE hubby has a terrible memory. I pump him for information and it's the most horrible job to get him to remember anything. Often he only remembers something because I show him pictures of him as a child, and piece it with something his father told me about him ... and "remember his childhood" for him. Sometimes he'll come up with something out of the blue and it's really weird. The thing is, it's in his mind, just doesn't come to the front of his conscious very often or easily. It usually takes much priming and pumping before it comes out. I share tons of things from my life with our children, and he's mostly silent. It's not a "guy thing" vs a "girl thing" it's his lack of reflection mostly, I'd say, thinking not being his strong suit, neither is intuition.

Of my experiences in life, hardly anyone else I've ever met seems to have had such a good memory as I did. I can recall things my pastor has said and then another time he says something quite contradictorily, and when it's something that is talk-able to him about he totally will reject that he ever said the previous thing, personal conversations or in his sermons even.

I've come to understand that what I mean by "I feel" is totally different by what he means by "I feel" or "emotion" means something different to him than me, like how very few movies can make me cry, but one does every time I see it, and he calls me "emotional" and I say, "no, I'm just emotive about that movie" which for me is a tissue sobbing affair that has to do with the circumstances of the story, which makes me think deeply about the circumstances and "feel what they feel through the movie" but it's so much more than that. I'm just a quiet crier in this case, not sobbing loudly, sniffling yes, have to blow my nose and blot my eyes, yes. It's contained though.

"Emotional" to me means what happens when someone lets their insides out for all to see. That's not me, ever. I'm always more reserved than not, even when I'm really outgoing when the circumstances dictate.

I'm going into this because I have the ILI's Ni & Te excellent memory and he has not. He's a SEE and would go through life chatting on the phone for work or pleasure, surfing sports sites, watching girly movies (I mean girl movies, like I don't like at all, I prefer Classic movies, action, adventure, fantasy, sci-fi, some horror, drama, black comedies, some comedies, but not many.) Like one movie I tease him about, he'd rather watch 27 Dresses, and I couldn't stand it the one time I had to watch it with him, and have had to see parts of it again ... ugh. He really does like it, and other movies I'd put in a similar category. Blech.

So then the movie I cry about is an American remake of a French Film, it's Sommersby. The love and honor and deceit are just so well depicted, but HE doesn't like it, not like I do, has no reaction to it at all. I'm not stating this so someone can tell me how terrible Sommersby is compared to the French movie. I'm speaking to the issue of the movie as a stand alone which is a nice period piece of post-Civil War Tennessee & I like the treatment of the story, it's plausible. So if ... draws me in.

Also watching TV shows, I'll laugh at something, and 30 seconds later he laughs at the same thing, but it's like it takes the full thing to play out before it's funny to him, whereas I see where it's going and get the funny before it's played out. I'm not saying it's "memory" but it's something nearly tangible but hard to put into words ... it's more a picture or a template of that, and it's "just like" memory stuff him and me. FWIW
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My memory sucks. My IEI best friend's memory is awesome.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov