Thread: Betas, why are Americans unhappy?

Hybrid View

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advertising is completely integrated into the American lifestyle and how we understand the things around us. You can’t go anywhere without being sold something, even if it’s some vague idea of a better life. We’re certainly not the only country with a very powerful advertising industry, but it’s so well integrated with the landscape that it’d be difficult to mentally fight it off. It seems like when you’re a part of something unique and meaningful, the context of that group/movement/discovery/creation changes when the media latches on to it. I recently visited my sister in San Francisco and we went to the famous Haight-Ashbury District. Oh maaaaaan! The area is so expensive and the only way you can really experience it’s history is by buying a bunch of pseudo hippie bullshit in the shops. When I visit relatives in Wyoming or Utah , I see a lot of stores that sell the idea of freedom or the “Wild‘’ West. I don’t know how depressed Americans truly are but we definitely live in a “fakish” society that can sometimes make us feel detached from things. I guess this goes along with what crazedrat was saying.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we sold out man, we fucked up

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jughead View Post
    we sold out man, we fucked up
    good answer.

discojoe: I think you could have just as easily asked, "Betas, what makes YOU unhappy" and gotten almost the same answers. I'm happy, but I know what makes me unhappy, and it is the same no matter where I live, or what conditions I'm living in. And I know how to change it, because I have.

But, if you want something that is just for America, jughead really says it best.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    I'm happy, but I know what makes me unhappy, and it is the same no matter where I live, or what conditions I'm living in. And I know how to change it, because I have.
    I'm curious, how do you solve a problem when you can't envision a solution? Or do you always know what (you need) to do in order to resolve the issues that upset/make you unhappy?
    Last edited by Park; 08-31-2010 at 11:31 PM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many people are also unhappy because they wonder aimlessly through life without plans.
    I hate plans. I try not to make them.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy View Post
    I try to do as little of it as possible.
    sounds like a..... "plan"........ to me

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it wouldn't work for me.
    Last edited by tire iron; 04-28-2012 at 08:22 AM.