Thread: Betas, why are Americans unhappy?

Hybrid View

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because what we strive for has no real value. It's either an imitation of value or a leeching of value. People feign value to justify leeching it. When this goes to the extreme you have something like an emotional banking crisis. No one has anything to offer worthwhile and everyone is trying to suck it from everyone else.

TIM
    ILE 8w7
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedrat360 View Post
    Because what we strive for has no real value. It's an imitation of value. Easier to achieve and control but less fulfilling, to the max. Also it requires you feign value to justify sucking things dry.
    I agree with this. Except I will also add that many people do not clearly define what they want and then stand for it.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbean View Post
    I agree with this. Except I will also add that many people do not clearly define what they want and then stand for it.
    No, the instant fulfillment of sucking something dry is more appealing than the long term struggle which ultimately leads to what's valuable. People know this, they just choose to be leeches. Or phonies. Not much of a difference, really. A phony may try to pretend they're above all this, but they just spend alot of time securing a jugular to suck on. They want to make sure no one can step in and rid them of it. Leeches though.. they taste the blood, but it doesn't satiate them.

TIM
    ILE 8w7
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, the instant fulfillment of sucking something dry is more appealing than the long term struggle which ultimately leads to what's valuable. People know this, they just choose to be leeches. Or phonies. Not much of a difference, really. A phony may try to pretend they're above all this, but they just spend alot of time securing a jugular to suck on. They want to make sure no one can step in and rid them of it. Leeches though.. they taste the blood, but it doesn't satiate them.
    This is true for one segment of the population. Many people are also unhappy because they wonder aimlessly through life without plans.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advertising is completely integrated into the American lifestyle and how we understand the things around us. You can’t go anywhere without being sold something, even if it’s some vague idea of a better life. We’re certainly not the only country with a very powerful advertising industry, but it’s so well integrated with the landscape that it’d be difficult to mentally fight it off. It seems like when you’re a part of something unique and meaningful, the context of that group/movement/discovery/creation changes when the media latches on to it. I recently visited my sister in San Francisco and we went to the famous Haight-Ashbury District. Oh maaaaaan! The area is so expensive and the only way you can really experience it’s history is by buying a bunch of pseudo hippie bullshit in the shops. When I visit relatives in Wyoming or Utah , I see a lot of stores that sell the idea of freedom or the “Wild‘’ West. I don’t know how depressed Americans truly are but we definitely live in a “fakish” society that can sometimes make us feel detached from things. I guess this goes along with what crazedrat was saying.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we sold out man, we fucked up

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jughead View Post
    we sold out man, we fucked up
    good answer.

discojoe: I think you could have just as easily asked, "Betas, what makes YOU unhappy" and gotten almost the same answers. I'm happy, but I know what makes me unhappy, and it is the same no matter where I live, or what conditions I'm living in. And I know how to change it, because I have.

But, if you want something that is just for America, jughead really says it best.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    I'm happy, but I know what makes me unhappy, and it is the same no matter where I live, or what conditions I'm living in. And I know how to change it, because I have.
    I'm curious, how do you solve a problem when you can't envision a solution? Or do you always know what (you need) to do in order to resolve the issues that upset/make you unhappy?
    Last edited by Park; 08-31-2010 at 11:31 PM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many people are also unhappy because they wonder aimlessly through life without plans.
    I hate plans. I try not to make them.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because what we strive for has no real value. It's either an imitation of value or a leeching of value. People feign value to justify leeching it. When this goes to the extreme you have something like an emotional banking crisis. No one has anything to offer worthwhile and everyone is trying to suck it from everyone else.
    I like it.

I prefer to say that there's a lot of It in life, if It is what everyone is looking for. But most things are compounded of It and Not-It, and people tend to focus on the Not-It. So the key to being happy is finding some things that have lots of It and very little Not-It, and then focusing on the It-y parts of substances that are compounded of shadow and flame (I added the shadow and flame part so I could satisfy your artsy requirement). We look for It in celebrities and actors and musicians and artists because most celebrities actually have quite a lot of It, even if they're not any happier for having It. People are more happy from appreciating It than from having It, I think. But then again, actors and musicians are very happy for the brief and wonderful moments when they're in It. Poets are people (whether they write or not) who find It everywhere. Have faith in It. It is Life. It will set you free. lol.

Strrrng's answer is also very good.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.