Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Betas, why are Americans unhappy?

Mentioned
    760 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    a real artist is someone who creates real art, not someone who makes art under certain circumstances.
    I'm not sure I would ever use the word real with the word art, but there is probably a art to that too.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarinana View Post
    when there is nothing left to say... you have to agree with someone.
    More projection. You're embarrassing.

Creepy-male

SOMEONE HAS GOT TO STAND UP FOR THOSE SQUATTERS, I TELL YOU WHAT. THE OTHER DAY MY FRIEND BOB AND I WERE WALKING THROUGH THE CITY AND WE FOUND AN ABANDONED BUILDING AND I SAID..... "HEY BOB!!!!!!!! WE SHOULD SQUAT!".............. SO BOB BENT DOWN AT HIS KNEES AND I WERE LIKE "LOL BOB!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S NOT SQUATTING!!!!!!!" AND WE ROFLEDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....... BUT FUCKING SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!! I WIPED MY COMPUTER OUT AND SLAMMED IT DOWN ON THE GROUND LIKE SOME ANIME MOVE (IT WAS OK BECAUSE IT WAS A DURABLE COMPUTER). AND I PULLED OUT GOOGLE AND I WERE LIKE, "BOB THIS IS SQUATTING", AND I SHOW HIM THE WIKIPEDIA ON SQUATTING (Squatting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <-- here.... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!). BOB WAS LIKE "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!", AND I WAS LIKE "******!!!!!! KILL YOURSELF"..... AND THEN WE LAUGHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. ANYWAYS AFTER I KILLED BOB (SINCE HE WOULDN'T DO IT HIMSELF) I DECIDED TO SQUAT!!!!!!!!!!!! BECAUSE ALL TRUE ARTISTS SHOULD SQUAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! GOTTA STAND UP FOR THOSE SQUATTERS, I TELL YOU WHAT!

Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    SOMEONE HAS GOT TO STAND UP FOR THOSE SQUATTERS, I TELL YOU WHAT. THE OTHER DAY MY FRIEND BOB AND I WERE WALKING THROUGH THE CITY AND WE FOUND AN ABANDONED BUILDING AND I SAID..... "HEY BOB!!!!!!!! WE SHOULD SQUAT!".............. SO BOB BENT DOWN AT HIS KNEES AND I WERE LIKE "LOL BOB!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S NOT SQUATTING!!!!!!!" AND WE ROFLEDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....... BUT FUCKING SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!! I WIPED MY COMPUTER OUT AND SLAMMED IT DOWN ON THE GROUND LIKE SOME ANIME MOVE (IT WAS OK BECAUSE IT WAS A DURABLE COMPUTER). AND I PULLED OUT GOOGLE AND I WERE LIKE, "BOB THIS IS SQUATTING", AND I SHOW HIM THE WIKIPEDIA ON SQUATTING (Squatting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <-- here.... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!). BOB WAS LIKE "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!", AND I WAS LIKE "******!!!!!! KILL YOURSELF"..... AND THEN WE LAUGHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. ANYWAYS AFTER I KILLED BOB (SINCE HE WOULDN'T DO IT HIMSELF) I DECIDED TO SQUAT!!!!!!!!!!!! BECAUSE ALL TRUE ARTISTS SHOULD SQUAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! GOTTA STAND UP FOR THOSE SQUATTERS, I TELL YOU WHAT!

Did you forget to take your meds, Lol?
    Join my Enneagram Discord: https://discord.gg/ND4jCAcs

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    Did you forget to take your meds, Lol?
    LOL NO I'M JUST A SQUATTING ARTIST AND I'M JUST SO ENTHUSIASTIC ABOUT SQUATTING THAT IT FEELS LIKE I'M IN A STATE OF CONSTANT EJACULATION ONTO A HOT GIRL FACE. EXCEPT THE EJACULATION IS ME TALKING ABOUT SQUATTING AND THE HOT GIRL'S FACE IS EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM. DON'T WORRY AFTER I CALM DOWN I'LL HAND EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM A TOWEL TO CLEAN UP, SO I HAVE A FRESH FACE TO EJACULATE ON AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU SERIOUSLY DON'T KNOW HOW AWESOME IT IS TO SQUAT.... I WILL LIKE LITERALLY COME OVER TO YOUR HOUSE AND HOLD YOU ALL AT GUNPOINT UNTIL YOU SQUAT...... BUT YOU WILL THANK ME, BECAUSE IT IS SOOOOO GREAT....... IT WILL BE A REALLY FUN TIME!!!!!!!!! AND AFTERWARDS WE CAN HAVE TEA AND TALK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!

lol but not really... and by that I mean I'm all out of tea

Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Creepy-male

squatting lol

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's okay. I have tea. You can have some of it.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    it's okay. I have tea. You can have some of it.
    Do we even know what kind of tea it is, how you came to acquire this tea, or the circumstances surrounding its distribution. Before you know it, there will be a tax on this tea. Brothers stand up, fight tyranny, wake up, don't be swayed... learn to question authority. Don't drink the "punch" that squark is selling, be free thinking... and question authority. Come to their house and threaten to rape their wife if they don't answer everyone of your questions. Security is an illusion, remember what Ben Franklin said (and you can't disagree with a ben franklin quote... he is the smartest man to ever live and his quotes apply to all situations that any person could use them in, even when they seem ridiculously out of context.... they still apply, because that is how smart ben franklin was.... he got lightning to strike a kite.... can you do that.... no probably not.... you would probably shock yourself and die...... but ben franklin did! so that's proof that you must take what I say as the irrefutable truth).... anyways Ben Franklin said "Those who will trade security for liberty deserve neither", or something along this line. So don't drink the tea and pour the punch into the ocean.....

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we even know what kind of tea it is, how you came to acquire this tea, or the circumstances surrounding its distribution. Before you know it, there will be a tax on this tea. Brothers stand up, fight tyranny, wake up, don't be swayed... learn to question authority. Don't drink the "punch" that squark is selling, be free thinking... and question authority. Come to their house and threaten to rape their wife if they don't answer everyone of your questions. Security is an illusion, remember what Ben Franklin said (and you can't disagree with a ben franklin quote... he is the smartest man to ever live and his quotes apply to all situations that any person could use them in, even when they seem ridiculously out of context.... they still apply, because that is how smart ben franklin was.... he got lightning to strike a kite.... can you do that.... no probably not.... you would probably shock yourself and die...... but ben franklin did! so that's proof that you must take what I say as the irrefutable truth).... anyways Ben Franklin said "Those who will trade security for liberty deserve neither", or something along this line. So don't drink the tea and pour the punch into the ocean.....
    oh my....god. now I know why they say you don't have any leaders in alpha quadra... and the only leaders you get as a rule are betas.
    Sincerely Yours,

Beyond the clouds. Beyond the sun.

The Rebel without a cause.

Creepy-male

oh my....god. now I know why they say you don't have any leaders in alpha quadra... and the only leaders you get as a rule are betas.
    Its because all the leaders in alpha quadra are extremely serious... and there posts are extremely serious

Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Its because all the leaders in alpha quadra are extremely serious... and there posts are extremely serious
    riiiight....

Creepy-male

riiiight....
    I'm glad you agree

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's true. I just think that everybody has that artistic side in them but not everybody notices it and even those who notice it often don't know how to use it to the maximum or if they are using it in the right way. That's why for an artist is more pleasant to hear "Hey! Keep on going. I LOVE WHAT YOU ARE DOING!" than to get 100 bucks and hear nothing. Art is just like beauty and love, it doesn't need money. You can't fall in love with somebody just because she gave you money, can you? The same way you can't make art just because you are being paid. And I don't think that for an artist money or being called "a real artist" is important. The recognition is only the same as knowing that you are doing the right thing and that people love what you are doing. An artist waits for this recognition instead of just going around and shouting out loud "HEY! I am an artist!"
    eh, artistic side ≠ artistic talent. and most of the people without the latter, will have the former easily tapped into, not necessarily by someone with talent. best-selling american authors...

anyway, I agree that genuine appreciation is greater fuel than money. but that's basically why a truly talented artist having a broad effect is so rare. it makes it contradictory for "real artist" to be applied, either by others or one's self; because if you are, the effect you have on others won't change anything, and a self-image will be redundant. so, an artist doesn't wait for recognition, they just happen to achieve it because what they excreted found a way into the decaying pipelines of peoples psyches.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    I'm not sure I would ever use the word real with the word art, but there is probably a art to that too.
    i agree. i was trying to follow the context of this thread. and lol
    asd

Creepy-male

So what does this have to do with why Americans are unhappy?

I'm just curious...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all of my friends who squat have jobs.....and erm never heard that they want your permanent adress when hiring you in here
    Squatting is just the same as having a place where to live without paying for it.
    But nice attempt at Ti, boy
    Well in the US you will be drastically looked down upon for hiring if you don't have a permanent address.

And seriously, if you're interested in a real discussion, stop feigning condescension. It's really getting old.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Well in the US you will be drastically looked down upon for hiring if you don't have a permanent address.

And seriously, if you're interested in a real discussion, stop feigning condescension. It's really getting old.
    feigning condescension? what is this?
    sorry I cannot be like you. I think calling you epithets like "whore", "asshole", etc when I don't like what you are saying is beyond my self respect and culture.
    Sincerely Yours,

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least I'm direct. You skirt the issue by doing passive little things like calling me "boy" and trying to tell me I'm not an artist. Ask yourself these two questions: which of us is being deliberately hurtful, and which of us is just being honest about our feelings?

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least I'm direct. You skirt the issue by doing passive little things like calling me "boy" and trying to tell me I'm not an artist. Ask yourself these two questions: which of us is being deliberately hurtful, and which of us is just being honest about our feelings?
    You take everything way too personal. Why don't you think that maybe I have different understanding of what is an artist from you? Work on your insecurities, try to see things from other persons perspective, then all these "boys" won't hurt your ego. When you call me a whore, or discojoe with all his shitty replies I don't get insulted at all because I know how you feel and where it comes from. I am not gonna let you two to hurt me, just because you are hurt yourself and trying to be as mean to me as possible without giving me anything meaningful. I am really sorry if I offended you tho. I am just not used to people getting insulted for calling them "a boy", it's a nice word in the end... unless you have insecurities about not being man enough...mhm.
    Sincerely Yours,

Creepy-male

I am just not used to people getting insulted for calling them "a boy", it's a nice word in the end...
    lol you realize the way you used it sounds like what people say in the south when they are trying to assert their superiority and greater world experience over people. Calling them a boy is like socially communicating to them that you are the "big sheriff" in town essentially and that they need to respect your authority and judgment like you are the big man and they are the little boy.

The notion of this relationship between you and Gilly is ridiculous, which is why its offensive. It would be different if you were like a battle hardened veteran talking to new recruits or something.... besides that using the term "boy" is basically a condescending term.

Hopefully you understand this, I'm going to have to assume that 1 you either did not understand the social significance of that term or 2 you did and were purposefully being condescending, in which case I feel like instead of trying to skirt your intentions you should own up to the fact you were condescending, as its not a big deal if you really are willing to put faith in the concept that you have the superior judgment in this situation, the fact you instead try to skirt your intentions merely shows that you don't have confidence in this and its just insecure forum drama bullshit, which is fine as it is par for the course on here, people expect it.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, fair enough, but only if you take your own advice.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol you realize the way you used it sounds like what people say in the south when they are trying to assert their superiority and greater world experience over people. Calling them a boy is like socially communicating to them that you are the "big sheriff" in town essentially and that they need to respect your authority and judgment like you are the big man and they are the little boy.

The notion of this relationship between you and Gilly is ridiculous, which is why its offensive. It would be different if you were like a battle hardened veteran talking to new recruits or something.... besides that using the term "boy" is basically a condescending term.

Hopefully you understand this, I'm going to have to assume that 1 you either did not understand the social significance of that term or 2 you did and were purposefully being condescending, in which case I feel like instead of trying to skirt your intentions you should own up to the fact you were condescending, as its not a big deal if you really are willing to put faith in the concept that you have the superior judgment in this situation, the fact you instead try to skirt your intentions merely shows that you don't have confidence in this and its just insecure forum drama bullshit, which is fine as it is par for the course on here, people expect it.
    Is there a 3?

I am not an American and I have no idea what it means in the south or in the north or wherever.... Boy means boy. It is meant to be said with a smile on your face, ironically when a person you are talking with comes with completely different understanding from you or lacks knowledge somewhere. In this case gilly missed the fact that PEOPLE WHO SQUAT ALSO ARE ABLE TO HAVE JOBS(maybe not in America, but in America nobody squats anyway, but everywhere else). gilly did not thought about it... that squatting and having a job is not related even tho he wanted to relate these two things. And instead of accepting that like this "yeah, i haven't thought that Europe might be different from America", he gets insulted, that's sad. cause it ruins communication. If people would shield their egos better the communication would be much easier.
    Sincerely Yours,

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a 3?

I am not an American and I have no idea what it means in the south or in the north or wherever.... Boy means boy. It is meant to be said with a smile on your face, ironically when a person you are talking with comes with completely different understanding from you or lacks knowledge somewhere. In this case gilly missed the fact that PEOPLE WHO SQUAT ALSO ARE ABLE TO HAVE JOBS(maybe not in America, but in America nobody squats anyway, but everywhere else). gilly did not thought about it... that squatting and having a job is not related even tho he wanted to relate these two things. And instead of accepting that like this "yeah, i haven't thought that Europe might be different from America", he gets insulted, that's sad. cause it ruins communication. If people would shield their egos better the communication would be much easier.
    lmao, what a fucking hypocrite. I think you might actually be unaware of it too.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gilly did not thought about it... that squatting and having a job is not related even tho he wanted to relate these two things. And instead of accepting that like this "yeah, i haven't thought that Europe might be different from America", he gets insulted, that's sad. cause it ruins communication. If people would shield their egos better the communication would be much easier.
    Actually I did think about it. Homeless people can't get jobs in America, especially in this market. You suggested that squatting should be legal in America; I told you why it doesn't matter.

See, that's exactly the kind of passive-aggressive condescension I'm talking about. But you're either too stupid to see it, or really don't care because you're getting your rocks off.

And lol @ you telling people to keep their egos out of communication.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    lmao, what a fucking hypocrite. I think you might actually be unaware of it too.
    I know, I'm starting to seriously consider this.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know, I'm starting to seriously consider this.
    Ok people.
    I've been told to shut the fuck up by Vero. So let's leave everything behind and forget these discussions ever happened.
    Now please respect discojoe and his thread and discuss why are Americans unhappy.

And if you still have anything against me go to flamming forum I'll be glad to listen.

Sincerely Yours,

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you had posted a song which wasn't raggae then you would be forgiven. But there is nothing more bland and unoriginal than raggae music.

Mentioned
    760 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Ok people.
    I've been told to shut the fuck up by Vero. So let's leave everything behind and forget these discussions ever happened.
    Now please respect discojoe and his thread and discuss why are Americans unhappy.

And if you still have anything against me go to flamming forum I'll be glad to listen.

YouTube - Bob Marley-No woman no cry
    Aw, now nobody will give a shit about this thread.

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are unhappy everywhere. Does anyone seriously think people are happier in Somalia, Russia, China or Argentina? Even in prosperous societies like Western Europe, Japan or Australia, people will find something to complain about (whether it be politics, work, whatever) -- and those societies are progressive Si-valuing societies where people on average lead more stable and healthier lives than in the United States.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    People are unhappy everywhere. Does anyone seriously think people are happier in Somalia, Russia, China or Argentina?
    If you can't eat, there is a lot to be unhappy about.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The whole idea that you're constantly unhappy due to some existential crisis or some abstract notion is absurd when there are literally millions of people either starving to death or being murdered, and billions living well below your level of prosperity. And it makes you look either like a self-absorbed prick, or a little bitch who can't deal with the real world.

Serious depression aside.

Creepy-male

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    People are unhappy everywhere. Does anyone seriously think people are happier in Somalia, Russia, China or Argentina? Even in prosperous societies like Western Europe, Japan or Australia, people will find something to complain about (whether it be politics, work, whatever) -- and those societies are progressive Si-valuing societies where people on average lead more stable and healthier lives than in the United States.
    Who is happier, the man with very little and no way to change that, or the man with nothing who has in his hands a way to change his circumstances?

I believe it's the man who has the ability to change things for himself who is happier. And, I think this is true regardless of how materially well-off or not a person is, which was the point I was making in my post.

People need to know that they have some effect, that they are not powerless victims of circumstance, that in some way, small or great, they can impact their own lives. What's the point of living if you are merely washed this way and that with no ability to control the direction you go? Even the ability to push a tiny bit on that rudder and steer in a direction of your choice, even if the change is very slow and small, makes a difference.

According to Rasmussen, the majority of Americans feel that those in congress making decisions affecting their lives are not listening to them or making the choices that they want. Large-scale economic factors are also out of their personal control. There's a kind of powerlessness and anger that may come from that. It's different from the sort of hopelessness felt by those who are struggling just to eat and finding no relief, but it stems from the same source: a perceived (or actual) inability to change external circumstances. In those circumstances, give them even a glimmer of hope that they can change it, and people leap on the chance. I don't know that most people are actually unhappy however.

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    Who is happier, the man with very little and no way to change that, or the man with nothing who has in his hands a way to change his circumstances?

I believe it's the man who has the ability to change things for himself who is happier. And, I think this is true regardless of how materially well-off or not a person is, which was the point I was making in my post.

People need to know that they have some effect, that they are not powerless victims of circumstance, that in some way, small or great, they can impact their own lives. What's the point of living if you are merely washed this way and that with no ability to control the direction you go? Even the ability to push a tiny bit on that rudder and steer in a direction of your choice, even if the change is very slow and small, makes a difference.

According to Rasmussen, the majority of Americans feel that those in congress making decisions affecting their lives are not listening to them or making the choices that they want. Large-scale economic factors are also out of their personal control. There's a kind of powerlessness and anger that may come from that. It's different from the sort of hopelessness felt by those who are struggling just to eat and finding no relief, but it stems from the same source: a perceived (or actual) inability to change external circumstances. In those circumstances, give them even a glimmer of hope that they can change it, and people leap on the chance. I don't know that most people are actually unhappy however.
    Sorry, I didn't read your older post before I posted.

People do have basic needs that go beyond the materialistic, that's true. One of them is companionship, belonging to a group or extended family. The focus on individuality in our society makes this somewhat more difficult to achieve than in more impoverished places, where whole families naturally band together out of tradition, and sometimes for protection and sharing of resources.

It feels good to be needed (and heard) at a level that goes beyond an artificial business arrangement. Being part of a collective makes you feel like your importance is something innate or naturally given -- that's just as true, even more true, for those with highly individualistic, rambunctious, or vulgar personalities -- and not dependent on extra-personal contingencies like money. My experience is that this desire often supersedes the desire for material fulfillment, though probably not for everyone. Nevertheless, shared experiences are extremely powerful and something clearly sought after by everyone.

The irony is that people accept an extreme focus on individuality as part of their socialization, not in trying to get away from society, but in trying to fulfill its demands. Being a self-reliant individual is the ultimate mark of initiation. In some others, both the acquisition of material wealth, status, etc. and the fulfillment of the collective instinct maybe equivalent (e.g. "being a paragon of the community", "greed creates better societies", etc.). The primal instinct never really goes away.

That said, people in western societies have more freedoms to change their way of life than has ever existed in all of human history. They have (for the first time) the resources to create whatever type of society they want. So they have no excuse to complain about anything.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, no, back to the thread-derailing topic!

What makes an artist an artist? I don't know.

You can have that vague feeling that there's something alive in you. And then you can have the slightly more confident feeling that there's something alive in your writing, although you can't really be sure of that, because a lot of the time, I feel pretty sure there's something alive in some phrase I wrote down, but then later on it feels dead. But when can you be sure? I guess you can't ever be sure you're an artist, I mean, you can't prove that your poetry (be it poetry, plays, paintings, music, whatever) is alive, any more than you can prove that you're alive, or that you're not dreaming or whatever. So I think it's good to maintain an inner conviction, but always a modest skepticism as to one's own creative powers. I am probably an artist, or pretty close to one. Some days. But I can't be sure. There are ways to gague it: other people's responses are certainly a great way. But if Harold Bloom is to be believed, the best way is really the test of time. The closest thing to an "objective" test we have is the test of time. And the best subjective test is, in my opinion, if the receiving material is sensitive enough, when you touch your poem to it, does it light on fire? Like, I light on fire when I read a poem by Walt Whitman or Wallace Stevens or Shakespeare or whoever. I can feel "nature without check with original energy." And so if somebody else read my writing, and they lit on fire, that would be a good enough test for me.

I really don't think Americans are especially unhappy. I mean, everybody's unhappy. The reason people are unhappy is because they're people, not because their historical situation is less than ideal. It's not the country's fault. Enuui originates in the spirit and can only be fixed by the spirit. Although a cold splash of water to the face usually does the trick.

People are bored because they lie to themselves to keep themselves alive, because they're scared of dying; that is, they're scared of changing. If people would allow their core fictions about life to be dissolved, they could break and be stronger in the broken places. As it is, people tend to never break, and like a muscle they never excersize, their souls get weak and flabby. But others manage to die frequently enough to stay alive (since all energy is in turning), and those people are alive and... if not happy, that third thing that is better than happiness. Go and do something. Let someone set you on fire. Ways to do this: read and write poetry; fall in love; "get religion" (almost any one will do, although I think Christianity works best and has other benefits besides); become a jazz or otherwise improvisational musician; listen to Jazz or otherwise improvisational musicians; learn to act; become a performer or artist of some kind. I dunno. The way to wake yourself up is to get in contact with the Source, with Energy, with Life, with the stuff that the stars and the planets and the rocks and the body and the soul and the emotions are made of. What does that? Art, and Other Minds.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Creepy-male

Ok after reading silverchris's post he has inspired me to be a bit more serious. I agree that its not americans but people that are unhappy, but I feel like this originate from two windows in the human psyche. One is positive and one is negative, the negative one is not necessary "evil" but it has it's purpose, like skepticism, and security by considering the imperfections of the world and not the purely ideal. If you thought purely positive you would have no conception of a person ever harboring hate or doing evil things, but the reason you can visualize hate and such is actually valuable regardless of how ugly it is as it can be instrumental in protecting yourself from such things. Its like the way a body has to take in a virus from time to time to build up an immunity to it. Negativity and Cynicism are essential parts of the psyche as they help people take in the less perfect aspects of reality so they can study them and develop their own "antibodies" against them.

I think in an unhealthy psyche this window is opened too far and begins to leak into the positive window, much like an overactive immune system, negativity begins to accumulate and starts to take hold on everything positive and destroy it until you are left a hallowed out husk of a human being. I think some people actually suffer from this crisis. Although I'd say the normal "joe" in any country typically is only in a very mild stage of the disorder and its most likely to appear as people age older, very rarely in children. You can easily see it in the way adults are such cynical assholes about stuff they used to love as kids. I think this is the most basic/fundamental explanation of internal conflict, all practical manifestations of personal crisis stem from this, and all social problems stem from the equivalent of this occurring in the collective unconscious. Art to me at least seems to be valuable because it is made from the forge of this internal conflict and people without realizing it are drawn and attracted to it as it helps them cope.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

silverchris9, finally there is someone who almost shares my thoughts and has perfect English to write those thoughts down. Thank you.
    Sincerely Yours,

Creepy-Snaps

Default Hmm

Why are Americans unhappy? I think the bigger question is, why do people stereotype?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have to have a definition for what it means to be an artist, you aren't one. Not yet, anyway.

Under cerulean skies...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast