• No, I'd rather have the pizza.

0 0%
  • Only if you make her wear suspenders.

0 0%
  • Tiddly-winks.

0 0%
  • Floppity floppity flop.

0 0%
  • Hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

0 0%
  • Wittgenstein, chthonic, catharsis and meme.

0 0%
  • 76 100.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ENFP type descriptions

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What everybody said about ISTps and clothes/hairstyle was interesting. I hadn't thought of that. But of course Si doesn't necessarily equal a preoccupation with pleasing others, it's more to do with pleasing oneself. It makes sense now.

Interestingly enough, it's made me remember that "my" ISTps aren't too preoccupied with looks either. One was rather sloppy as a boy, but once he caught on that girls like guys to take at least SOME trouble over their appearance, he quickly changed his ways. Both sort of resist fashion. They'll wear stuff because it's comfortable, but in general it's more like "never change a winning team". Jeans are comfortable, therefore they wear jeans. End of story. No cargo pants or other freaky stuff.

Not sure you can change that. I personally think nothing can change an ISTp who doesn't want to be changed. An ISTp who is digging his heels in is absolutely unshiftable. They hate being pressured. It's possible to make suggestions, though... no, not even that... to state one's own subjective impressions and ask him what he thinks of it.
    I'm beginning to think that this might be the key thing, the "what do you think" bit. Other types seem to value it if you take charge and say "this is what's wrong, this is what we should do", but the ISTps I know seem to detest it. It seems to feel to them like you're taking charge, crowding them out of the picture, not leaving them any freedom to act and have their own opinions. Could be the "well, it's HER thing now, I can't interfere" thing. Not sure.
    I'm starting to simply present my own impressions and asking them for their input. "This is the impression I got, and my first impulse would be to go and do this-and-that, what do you think?" Or anything else to make sure they know I'm not actually telling them what to do, I'm simply making up my mind, thinking aloud, trying to come to a conclusion. That way they know there's still space enough for them to act in. Perhaps that ties in with static vs. dynamic thinking? ISTps rarely think aloud, so once you state your opinion, perhaps it's natural for them to presume that this opinion is unshiftable and they can't change it anyway. Not sure. Anyway, that sort of strategy seems to work; the ISTp seems to understand me a little better now and I avoid pissing him off.

Anyway, an example... let's say I want my ISTp to try on a pair of cargo pants because I think that would suit them.
    WHAT NOT TO DO:
    -- criticism ("you're always wearing jeans, you're so old-fashioned")
    -- giving orders ("next time we go shopping I want you to try on something new")
    -- sounding definite and bossy
    WHAT TO DO: make sure he knows that nothing is hewn in stone. No pressure. Lots of freedom. In the end, Mr. sensible ISTp good-humouredly follows Ms. curious ENFp to the stores and tries on something new, because - like the obliging guy he is - he knows Ms. ENFp has got this bee in her bonnet about cargo pants and can't rest before she knows how he'd look in them. Ms. ENFp also points to an obnoxiously pink shirt or to a silly hat, "hey, that would look nice on you", so Mr. ISTp can grunt something drily ironic. We both enjoy ourselves and it MIGHT end with Mr. ISTp going, "hey, these pants aren't as bad as I thought. Do they have those in khaki?"

I'm probably going all Te-Hidden-Agenda now and sounding more sure of myself than I actually am... So I'll add that this is just a guess of mine, and something that seems to work with one ISTp I know of and I think it might probably also work with the other one. "Work" sounds like manipulation, but it's not; it's simply about avoiding to trigger the ISTp's I'm being pressured emergency shutdown mechanism.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find these descriptions interesting because I can somehow relate to the ISTp one and I can understand the problems I get into with them. If I meet an ISTp, we both have an absolute hate of being controlled, we hate being told what to do, we think all other people in the world do stupid things, we think we can do anything, we cannot follow people... but contrary to ISTp's, as an ENTj, I have a better plan or idea about what to do and I think everyone would benefit from doing it!

ISTp's have a "I don't give a shit, your problem" attitude and ENTj's have a "Hey, I've got a great way of doing this! Let me show you" attitude.
    ENTj - intuitive subtype - 8w9, sp/sx

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bump.

What about it? Does anyone feel like doing another description? We've already got: ENFj, ISTp, ISFj and ISTj.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    It reminds me of when an INFj friend of mine was talking on the phone to his ENFp girlfriend, doing the baby-talk thing. When I pointed out to him that that was a good example of different patterns of behavior, he was taken aback: "but don't *all* couples talk like that"?
    Hmm..so that phone baby-talk thing is related to sexual type as well? I seriously hate that. Do all careful or infantile people do that then? Even ISTps and ESTjs and such less openly emotional types? With the weird raised/altered intonation and everything? It is so creepy somehow

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baby Talk Sucks Huge balls. I cannot imagine that its a turn on to girls
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, all careful and infintile couples do not do that. Ick.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    No, all careful and infintile couples do not do that. Ick.
    Ah they probably do to tick their partners off or for irritating fun " I wuv my widdle snooky wooky, yes I do"

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by electric
    What everybody said about ISTps and clothes/hairstyle was interesting. I hadn't thought of that. But of course Si doesn't necessarily equal a preoccupation with pleasing others, it's more to do with pleasing oneself. It makes sense now.
    I don't think Si has anything to do with pleasing yourself or doing things to make yourself feel good. That's more of a Si Fe thing.
    OK then what?

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://the16types.info/function-Si.php:

Socionics function: white sensing - sense - sensational sensorics
    physical relationships between processes taking place at same time and place - how they affect one’s inner state; physical sensations (sound, smell, etc.), how one feels, health, aesthetics
    Positive(short range):
    Pleasant sensations, comfort, convenience, harmony, beauty, appeal, rest, health, slackness, good state of health, pleasure, pleasure, sensitivity;
    Negative (long range):
    Unpleasant sensations, discomfort, inconvenience, disharmony, disgrace, unattractiveness, weariness, pressure, illness, bad state of health, suffering, pain.
    If it isn't about physical sensations, comfort, etc., then what is it about? Is this wrong?
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was more about knowing what your internal condition is. And knowing when you compromising it and knowing when your not. Which does not always = pleasing yourself or making yourself feel good. Just not making yourself unnecessarily feel bad.

Add Fe to the equation and it’s about making yourself feel good and pleasing yourself.

Add Te and its whatever is good for whatever your doing.
    That makes sense. Are you ISTP? How do you other ISTPs feel... er I mean what do you think about that?

Topaz

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just realized I never looked at that poll properly again... The pizza won, so here it is. Careful, it's hot.

And by the way, about those type descriptions...?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    Just realized I never looked at that poll properly again... The pizza won, so here it is. Careful, it's hot.

And by the way, about those type descriptions...?
    Thank you for making me drool over something I can't order due to my geographical location

A most entertaining thread, though. My insipidity has no place here.
    “I think, therefore I'll think" - Ayn Rand (ESTp, UR GUARDIAN ANGEL)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Si has anything to do with pleasing yourself or doing things to make yourself feel good.
    That's precisely what it is for me.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and thanks, I already ate...

I 'm going to watch Foster's now, so I 'm voting for Blue ...

“Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Si Te doesn't:
    Yes it does. But unlike the Si Fe who manipulates people's emotions, the Si Te manipulates tools and manages available resources in order to provide comfort for its self.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't suppose I could throw out a request for ESFp? It'd be much appreciated.
    That faith makes blessed under certain circumstances, that blessedness does not make of a fixed idea a true idea, that faith moves no mountains but puts mountains where there are none: a quick walk through a madhouse enlightens one sufficiently about this. (A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.) - Friedrich Nietzsche

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About SiTe... what about this (based on my observations of an I(S)Tp:

The focus is not primarily on your own physical well-being. It's on what you perceive of the things you're dealing with. Like electric said: whatever is good for whatever you're doing. The difference can be subtle, but I think it's there. ISTps can totally get lost in a project (building the perfect shelf, for example) - they'll work for hours in cramped conditions, forgetting to eat and drink.

Even when they're providing comfort for themselves, it's not really in a self-centered kind of way. They're Sir Galahad in search of the holy grail of perfection. They've got such a good eye for quality that some things just grate on them. It's like having a quality radar. Some things just cause it to BEEEEEP, red lights flash, the whole spacecraft begins to shiver and shake, bits of the ceiling fall down... so obviously you try and avoid that. If you've ever seen my husband drink a cup of tea that's been prepared with luke warm water and a reused tea-bag, you'll know what I mean. Or give him a blunt knife to cut up tomatoes. You'll see a man in real pain.

Things that are functional, tasty, beautiful... they drift towards those. Their enjoyment of them isn't just about themselves, though; it's about the object itself. It's like being an ENFp and finding something with such good potential that it just explodes with light and colours and glittery stuff.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that works.

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    They're Sir Galahad in search of the holy grail of perfection. They've got such a good eye for quality that some things just grate on them. It's like having a quality radar.
    And that is absolutely correct!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12