Thread: Guess the ENFP and ESFJ description

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    You're an idiot. That much I know already. Guess there isn't so much I need to learn then...

See, the problem is (confirmed by my last foray into an IM discussion) precisely that the functions have been fleshed out. They're the same at their base, but Socionics functions have enough info on top of their MBTI counterparts to provoke ambiguities. Se for example, has some elements that have traditionally been ascribed to Te, as exemplified by Labcoat's post:

This has nothing to do with how Se is defined in MBTI (and is in fact anathema to the values of most MBTI SPs). Ergo, one cannot interpret that as Se in MBTI unless one uses Socionics functions to type in MBTI -- which would be thoroughly pointless, as then MBTI is just Socionics by another name. Ergo, most Se types in Socionics are not Se types in MBTI. QED.

So in other words, call MBTI primitive or whatever, I don't care. But don't insist that MBTI types necessarily have to align with Socionics types, because it just makes you look dumb.
    I agree that MBTI functions and socionics IMs have little to do with each other. But I'm of the opinion the problem is with MBTI. For Introverts, MBTI function arrangement doesn't work. This is something which, as far as I know, the author of the system realized herself - but "official" MBTI was never adjusted. Now the common perception of the functions (especially Se and Si, followed by Ne and Ni, then the rest) in MBTI communities was shaped partly because of mistypings. I even contributed to it myself, being an INTP and INTp and trying to describe Ti and Ne in the same way which I later learned was dialectical-algorithmic thinking (used by none of Ti or Ne egos).

In the end MBTI is based on Jungian dichotomies, and the functions part has been messed up. And even these dichotomies are often viewed rather shallowly, with I/E effectively resolving around sociability (energizing/draining interactions pretty much come down to it), as well as N/S stereotypical novel/conventional questions.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pied Piper View Post
    . Having 16 types each system doesn't mean they are the same one-by-one, this s something you learn in primary school that not all sets names 'A' in different exercises are equivalent.
    Fucking Duh. What makes them the same is that behaviors that are common to only one of the 16 types show up in the same type's descriptions in two theories. That means if you are this type, it is more common for you to exhibit this behavior, necessarily making you the same type in the second theory.

From now on when I see someone who is naively confused into thinking they are two separate personalities, rather than informing them of their obvious mistake, I'm going to just fucking laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    . For Introverts, MBTI function arrangement doesn't work. This is something which, as far as I know, the author of the system realized herself - but "official" MBTI was never adjusted.
    If MBTI was officially adjusted, what would be the difference between the two theories, and what would stop there from being a direct correlation? Anything?
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ashton, you know he was referring to the MBTI types right? (As if it matters)
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    They both effectively end up talking about much of the same shit.
    Agreed +100
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    If MBTI was officially adjusted, what would be the difference between the two theories, and what would stop there from being a direct correlation? Anything?
    My thoughts.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    I agree that MBTI functions and socionics IMs have little to do with each other. But I'm of the opinion the problem is with MBTI. For Introverts, MBTI function arrangement doesn't work. This is something which, as far as I know, the author of the system realized herself - but "official" MBTI was never adjusted. Now the common perception of the functions (especially Se and Si, followed by Ne and Ni, then the rest) in MBTI communities was shaped partly because of mistypings. I even contributed to it myself, being an INTP and INTp and trying to describe Ti and Ne in the same way which I later learned was dialectical-algorithmic thinking (used by none of Ti or Ne egos).
    I'm not sure how this is a mistake, given that both systems are arbitrarily defined psychometric analysis systems. it's like saying baseball is "wrong" for not having flat bats like cricket does.

In the end MBTI is based on Jungian dichotomies, and the functions part has been messed up. And even these dichotomies are often viewed rather shallowly, with I/E effectively resolving around sociability (energizing/draining interactions pretty much come down to it), as well as N/S stereotypical novel/conventional questions.
    Well, MBTI is actually based on Jungian cognitive functions, which are then translated into dichotomies. The problems arise when people try to measure the dichotomies directly, which can lead to severely mistaken results (especially with the J/P function).
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure how this is a mistake, given that both systems are arbitrarily defined psychometric analysis systems. it's like saying baseball is "wrong" for not having flat bats like cricket does.

Well, MBTI is actually based on Jungian cognitive functions, which are then translated into dichotomies. The problems arise when people try to measure the dichotomies directly, which can lead to severely mistaken results (especially with the J/P function).
    It's a mistake in terms of Jungian typology. People whose type was identified as one of eight described by Jung tend to fit basic dichotomies in the way socionics claims - that is the mistake noticed too late. It's true that both socionics information elements and MBTI functions exceed Jung's original ideas, but the degree to which they deviate from them is disproportionate.

The problem is less with judging/perceiving dichotomy as defined by MBTI - which corresponds to dynamic/static in socionics - and more with redefining the functions due to originally wrong - aka "not working", as described above - assignment of functions. These redefined functions are what we are dealing with. Even if dichotomies worked, they'd still be effectively defined as dominant functions of types which have different base.

So let's say we have a new system, with functions defined as MBTI wants them to be. Ideally we should end up with descriptions of Si-dominant (most functions' descriptions focus on leading position) that corresponds to Se-creative, etc. Let's ignora that for half the types it focuses on their base and for half on their creative. A system which uses Jungian names for functions despite having little to do with it anymore. Like agreeing to play cricket, then bringing baseball equipment to the field.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that both systems are arbitrarily defined
    No, this is completely wrong. They were defined using the four most prominent dichotomies in psychology. That's far from arbitrary. MBTI/Socionics is not an invention, it's a discovery.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234