Thread: Let's look at Role function

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Let's look at Role function

Talk to me about your own role function and how you think it manifests itself in your life. Don't just spew descriptions from wiki but feel free to illustrate them with real life examples!

TIM
    NotINotNNotFNotj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    Don't just spew descriptions from wiki but feel free to illustrate them with real life examples!
    Never!

riodically work on their role function in order to correct imbalances in their life and improve their weak areas. However, these attempts are generally sporadic and are forgotten as soon as the perceived problem begins to go away and the person once again becomes carried away with their usual lifestyle which is dominated b

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice spew.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With me, it manifests as pretending to be IEI so that I can be duals an SLE.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by INTjVsINTpArticle View Post
    Not attentive to relationships with people, and as a safeguard is over-actively over-friendly and under-conflicting when it comes to people (Ti suppresses Fi).
    Like that
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I'm by myself, I can focus on my body very well. I can catch the vibe of my body and it's very relaxing and comfortable. I can sort of work the tension out of my body and get into better body-soul harmony or whatevercrap. I can make myself feel more comfortable with my body. But I can't do anything to apply it to other people. Like, nothing. I can sometimes slip into that mindset, like if I'm cleaning my house I can make myself think in terms of what would make the house more comfortable and cozy. But I don't like to talk in terms of that. In other words, the role function is something that I'm capable of thinking in terms of, but not speaking in terms of, if that makes sense. It's a place where I can direct my energy but not tell other people about, or something like that.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Creepy-male

ILE's role function is Se.

I think for me, it's just generally a lack of Se-discipline. I've always had issues with my LSI mom who preaches a lifestyle of routine and discipline. Pretty much I've never been able to stick rigidly to a routine, I just go in odd directions in my life based on whatever I feel like doing. Usually its Ne-based, looking for opportunity etc.

Occasionally I've looked at myself and thought, I should be more disciplined... and I will be ultra disciplined for like 2-3 days but then I get bored of it and my routine unravels. So really I've become used to living in a way where mostly I'm undisciplined, but occasionally I'll learn to be temporarily disciplined for 1-2 days if a situation demands it, like in school if I know I have a test that week, I'll study hard, be disciplined, eat right, be structured... before the test I'll do an all-nighter, ace it, then go out with friends, and spend the next 2 days relaxing and doing whatever, going back to unstructured life.

Also I resent people who force me to do things I see no use in. Usually I prefer to know why I should do something, and then willing choose to do it, rather than simply be forced into doing things without explanation. I'm not completely bad in this respect and will usually still do things without explanation but usually I'll ask questions, challenge other people's authority, or find loopholes.

In non-socionics.... people have in the past described me as "one who doesn't do things if they don't feel like doing them", "stubborn/strong-willed", "argumentative/debate".

Usually this only comes up in conflict with Se ego types, and there labels are usually the result of their experience with my Se-superego, little do they know its Alpha-NT nature.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk to me about your own role function and how you think it manifests itself in your life. Don't just spew descriptions from wiki but feel free to illustrate them with real life examples!
    For me as an SLI it's , Ni, the estimation of time, forecasting. I like to be on time and am rarely late, even by minutes, but planning by calendar is beyond me. I couldn't tell you what the next holiday is.

Might be because I'm married and my IEE wife tends the social schedule, but I really do live in the moment. Being time challenged works out because I don't really plan many social events. In fact, my calendar is free.
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Another example of my Ti role is over analyzing things to find a pattern or a rule/law that I can apply to every situation, when there is none; over emphasis on other people’s contradiction in logic. I often tell my brother in law about these things that I’m thinking and he, being a Ti dominant, quickly tells me “Maritsa, you can’t say this.” Using his Fi role back at me with “people are too different to fit that model, sometimes stupid people have smart kids.”

When he asks me to do a task for him, he can be very systematic; he will define the task and all the steps within it in detailed format and will expect me to follow his steps within that system. I often see the redundancy in some of his steps, which I estimate will take two long, so take short cuts to save time and energy, which I appreciate my dual (Te) being able to do because they estimate the external working order of things. When I do skip some of his steps and get the job done, sometimes it won’t matter to him, he will still ask me about each thing that was done with each step, which frustrates me, because the bottom line is or should be more important to him, which sometimes it’s not. The bottom line was that he trusts me (Fi required) to get the job done with good quality. But he has a hard time trusting people (Fi role) with work.

My Ti role causes me to point out other people's inconsistencies with regards to things that don't match up to the system that I've adapted as a canon of that particular topic.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My role function is Fi. I don't really get how to interact with people in some situations, so I just smile, remain friendly, and don't say a lot. Once I figure out something that seems to have good results, I put it in my arsenal to use again later. I don't think about whether or not I like most people, and will say I like anyone I'm asked about unless they've made a really bad impression. I'm neutral about most people, and don't enjoy being on bad terms with someone. I'm also unsure how anyone feels about me, unless they make it really clear, and reassure me somehow fairly regularly. Even then, I sometimes think they're just kidding or will abruptly change their mind, until time shows me that's unlikely. I want to trust everyone, but I'm simultaneously suspicious of everyone's motives.

Role function especially kicks in when DS is absent. They have, ime a balancing effect on each other. Your role gets weirder and less sane the longer you're without the DS. This probably shows up especially well with Fi role, because without Fe, anxiety continues to build regarding your relationships with others. With the support of Fe, the importance of Fi diminishes and you feel more content and less concerned about all your other relationships as well as the one from which you're getting Fe.

It's possible I'm stretching the theory to fit what is just natural human response, not at all unique to Fi role. If that's the case, I apologize for getting carried away

TIM
    ILE/ENTp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't just spew descriptions from wiki but feel free to illustrate them with real life examples!
    Now that I think about it:

I was walking going home one day on this busy street and saw this beautiful lady coming from the other direction. Our eyes met, smiled, and we passed by each other. I wanted to meet her, but couldn't get myself to do at first. Now I have been in situations like that before and most of the time nothing happens, but what erased that thought was realizing this was a different day and that the past is the past and "this day" is today, not the past, and anything could happen. I also knew the only way to find out was to do something about it because by not doing anything I will for sure not know anything, so I stopped, turned back, and went up to meet her.

... We ended up together for the rest of the day.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In addition to relating to what squark and discojoe said, I want to add that I try hard to follow the norms of politeness but I can come across as overly formal and unnatural, especially with new and unfamiliar people.

I want to know the *appropriate* thing to say and do in social situations but I'm not always sure and second guess myself.

When a relative of a work colleague passes away, we are all supposed to sign a sympathy card. The problem is, I'm never sure what to write for my message. Other people seem good at coming up with personal, heartfelt messages that also reflect their individuality. I can't come up with much better than the stock "I'm sorry for your loss and take care" response.

I value the importance of maintaining relationships but I'm nowhere near as good at this as an Fi base would be. As a result, there is a natural tendency for my friendships to fade over time.

I care about being tactful and diplomatic with others. I try to do the ethically sound thing.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP