Thread: Te/Ti Let's clear things up

Hybrid View

context is king
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    Te, being "external dynamics of objects", sees how the explicit, external information about objects and people in the world is constantly shifting and changing
    Constant change and shifting of anything in the real world basically implies concepts such as 'uncertainty' and 'risk'. Concepts which are generally associated with Ni and Ne.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leckysupport View Post
    Constant change and shifting of anything in the real world basically implies concepts such as 'uncertainty' and 'risk'. Concepts which are generally associated with Ni and Ne.
    The implication you inferred was not something I had intended to imply. Si sensations, for example, are also constantly shifting and changing. Consider someone laying on the beach: the sun goes behind the clouds, and the person feels cooler. The sun comes out again, and the person feels warmer. The breeze comes in from the sea, and the person smells saltwater, etc. Si sensations are constantly shifting and changing, and they're not always associated with uncertainty or risk.

Uncertainty and risk are more closely linked to "the unknown", which might explain why you associate those terms with Ne and Ni. The results of change can sometimes be unknown, but often they can be known with reasonable certainty (the sun will set tonight and rise tomorrow -- certainly that's an example of a shift or change in the world that entails no significant uncertainty or risk). In such cases, the association of risk and uncertainty with "constant change and shifting" is unwarranted.
    Quaero Veritas.

context is king
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The implication you inferred was not something I had intended to imply. Si sensations, for example, are also constantly shifting and changing. Consider someone laying on the beach: the sun goes behind the clouds, and the person feels cooler. The sun comes out again, and the person feels warmer. The breeze comes in from the sea, and the person smells saltwater, etc. Si sensations are constantly shifting and changing, and they're not always associated with uncertainty or risk.
    But you talked of explicit external information about objects not internal sensations, hence why I spoke of "constant change and shifting of anything in the real world".

Uncertainty and risk are more closely linked to "the unknown", which might explain why you associate those terms with Ne and Ni. The results of change can sometimes be unknown, but often they can be known with reasonable certainty (the sun will set tonight and rise tomorrow -- certainly that's an example of a shift or change in the world that entails no significant uncertainty or risk). In such cases, the association of risk and uncertainty with "constant change and shifting" is unwarranted.
    Constant changing of real world objects typically leads to the unknown just due to the complexity of what goes on around us (in the real world), practically there is very little you can be certain about. In business the field of Risk Management is all about managing change and dealing with unexpected occurrences. You really can't face change in a practical situation without 'risk' and 'uncertainty' popping right up.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But you talked of explicit external information about objects not internal sensations, hence why I spoke of "constant change and shifting of anything in the real world".

Constant changing of real world objects typically leads to the unknown just due to the complexity of what goes on around us (in the real world), practically there is very little you can be certain about. In business the field of Risk Management is all about managing change and dealing with unexpected occurrences. You really can't face change in a practical situation without 'risk' and 'uncertainty' popping right up.
    You're thinking of Te blocked with Ni, that is, Te that deals with long-term change. Obviously long-term change is more unknown, and thus has greater risk and uncertainty associated with it.

Te blocked with Si, that is, Te that deals with short-term change, need not necessarily be associated with high levels of risk or uncertainty. The LSE who fixes a car knows how changing the parts of the engine will affect how the engine runs, which does not necessarily involve risk. Or the SLI who installs an air conditioner in just the right spot, to keep the house cool. There are plenty of examples of change in practical situations that don't involve significant risk or uncertainty, but they're mostly smaller, short-term changes.
    Quaero Veritas.

context is king
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Te blocked with Si, that is, Te that deals with short-term change, need not necessarily be associated with high levels of risk or uncertainty. The LSE who fixes a car knows how changing the parts of the engine will affect how the engine runs, which does not necessarily involve risk. Or the SLI who installs an air conditioner in just the right spot, to keep the house cool. There are plenty of examples of change in practical situations that don't involve significant risk or uncertainty, but they're mostly smaller, short-term changes.
    I could see your point from that angle. I guess I just have a problem with your wording.

From my point of view Te+Si wouldn't do much witnessing of changes and probably would try to have more of a direct influence in changing their surroundings. Witnessing and standing back while things change around you sounds too "passive" and uninvolved to be associated with Te + Si.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see your point from that angle. I guess I just have a problem with your wording.

From my point of view Te+Si wouldn't do much witnessing of changes and probably would try to have more of a direct influence in changing their surroundings. Witnessing and standing back while things change around you sounds too "passive" and uninvolved to be associated with Te + Si.
    Well, blame that on my naturally passive IJ way of describing things.
    Quaero Veritas.

context is king
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, blame that on my naturally passive IJ way of describing things.
    Well, I associate passivity and uninvolved-ness with Ni too... I think your description would be more right for LIEs than for LSEs.