Thread: Where do temperaments come from?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Where do temperaments come from?

Because they can't be derived from the Reinin dichotomies, unless I'm missing something important about the binary nature of Reinin addition.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't the whole Reinin analysis thing start out with 4 fundamental dichotomies or something? Where do those come from and why are they more suitable as a fundament than a group of dichotomies with two temperament (out of J/P, Static/Dynamic and introvert/extrovert) dichotomies within it?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you only have to consider Ip and Ej closely related and Ep / Ij closely related. So there is a semantics problem with the temperaments, but nothing too important

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They (Static/Dynamic, J/P, introvert/extrovert) are either fundament dichotomies, or they are derivable. I think jxtres is making an oversight.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratXII View Post
    you only have to consider Ip and Ej closely related and Ep / Ij closely related. So there is a semantics problem with the temperaments, but nothing too important
    Just spewing some "insights" here.

The brain is principally composed of a very large number (circa 10,000,000,000) of neurons, massively interconnected (with an average of several thousand interconnects per neuron, although this varies enormously). Each neuron is a specialized cell which can propagate an electrochemical signal. The neuron has a branching input structure (the dendrites), a cell body, and a branching output structure (the axon). The axons of one cell connect to the dendrites of another via a synapse. When a neuron is activated, it fires an electrochemical signal along the axon. This signal crosses the synapses to other neurons, which may in turn fire. A neuron fires only if the total signal received at the cell body from the dendrites exceeds a certain level (the firing threshold).
    The strength of the signal received by a neuron (and therefore its chances of firing) critically depends on the efficacy of the synapses. Each synapse actually contains a gap, with neurotransmitter chemicals poised to transmit a signal across the gap. One of the most influential researchers into neurological systems (Donald Hebb) postulated that learning consisted principally in altering the "strength" of synaptic connections. For example, in the classic Pavlovian conditioning experiment, where a bell is rung just before dinner is delivered to a dog, the dog rapidly learns to associate the ringing of a bell with the eating of food. The synaptic connections between the appropriate part of the auditory cortex and the salivation glands are strengthened, so that when the auditory cortex is stimulated by the sound of the bell the dog starts to salivate. Recent research in cognitive science, in particular in the area of nonconscious information processing, have further demonstrated the enormous capacity of the human mind to infer ("learn") simple input-output covariations from extremely complex stimuli (e.g., see Lewicki, Hill, and Czyzewska, 1992).
    Let us say that when a bell is rung is I, and when the dog starts to salivate is a J. Now it is obvious; If I then most likely J. I=>P, highly unlikely. P is to be paired with E almost exclusively.(especially if I/E is first in the sequence, come to think of it-this all sequence thing might be very important) There you go: IJ/EP statics for you.

This is Reinin related, indeed. Might even be very important??

Dunno, maybe.
    Or something like that. There you go Alpha NTeerds. Try to make something out of this.

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Doesn't the whole Reinin analysis thing start out with 4 fundamental dichotomies or something? Where do those come from and why are they more suitable as a fundament than a group of dichotomies with two temperament (out of J/P, Static/Dynamic and introvert/extrovert) dichotomies within it?
    I'm not talking about which assumptions are more correct. What I meant is that, as far as I recall each reinin dichotomy is a finite field with characteristic 2. In a finite field with characteristic 2, the operations of addition and subtraction are identical.
    link

Thus:

Static = IJ or EP

(IJ or EP) + J = (IJ + J) or (EP + J)

IJ + J = I + (J + J) = I + (J - J) = I

Another way to say it: I + (J xor J) = I + null = I

So it's impossible to derive IJ temperament by adding IJ + J. Is there another way of deriving them?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

think about a fork in the road, where one path is right and the other is left. down both paths there is another fork, right and left. there is no real similarity between turning left after turning left, and turning left after turning right, it just sounds like there is. it is the same thing with temperaments.. language problem.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it's impossible to derive IJ temperament by adding IJ + J. Is there another way of deriving them?
    Introvert <AND> Judging. The and operator is left out of the account because it's usage is too obvious. If you have two properties, it goes without saying you also have the property of having both.

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Introvert <AND> Judging. The and operator is left out of the account because it's usage is too obvious. If you have two properties, it goes without saying you also have the property of having both.
    I and J together is supposed to give you static, not "IJ temperament." There is no Reinin dichotomy called "IJ temperament." You have to go outside the math to generate it.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Temperament - Wikisocion

Attempts have been made to describe the socionic types in terms of temperament. First, some socionists after Augusta correlated the four classical temperaments (melancholic, choleric, sanguine, and phlegmatic) with types, however, these attempts have not been widely accepted. The most well-known temperament system was introduced by Viktor Gulenko and puts the 16 types into four groups that share the same two traits of the extroversion / introversion and irrational / rational dichotomies. The same four intertype relations exist between the types of any temperament: identity, business, super-ego, and kindred. In Russian the temperament names consist of two adjectives that describe common characteristics of these types, while in English a different notation has been used:

* EP temperament (Flexible-maneuvering)
    * EJ temperament (Linear-insistent)
    * IP temperament (Receptive-adaptive)
    * IJ temperament (Balanced-stable)
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

j/p in reality doesn't exist
    It exists in the capacity of being that which determines whether the perceiving ego function is base or creative (and vice versa for the judging ego function). You acknowledge all these terms so I don't see why you have to go into this childish defiance act and say it doesn't exist anyway.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the temperaments come from the functions and elements. Chicken and egg.
    i agree with pinnochio your endless Ti definition loops are retarted.Is that what intjs do?
    playing pandemic 2 the other day made me think of our temperaments as giant immune systems of our cells and how we interact with the world.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Because they can't be derived from the Reinin dichotomies, unless I'm missing something important about the binary nature of Reinin addition.
    I know how Jung would have answered this question.