Hybrid View

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default People who shove their opinions down your throat

I have a neighbor who's extremely opinionated about many things and doesn't hestitate to shove it down your throat. She's the kind of person that if she loves something or hates something, the whole world seems to know about it. She'll frequently post things on Facebook like how awful the movie she just saw was and she feels like it's her obligation to tell others how awful it is so that no one wastes their money or time on it. She's also that way about music, about restaurants (you must order this, don't order that!), books, TV, sports, politics, well everything.

It's as if she doesn't quite grasp that her opinion is not the final authority and that other people have different opinions on things.

Her point of view is completely different from mine. If I like or dislike something, I'm always careful to say that it's just my opinion, its not the absolute truth. But most of the time, I don't feel a need to broadcast to the whole world everytime I encounter something really good or really bad. I don't tell people things like, you gotta see this movie or avoid that one at all costs. What people do with their own time is their own business and as long as they're not harming anyone else, I really don't care. My neighbor thinks alot of things in this world are inherently good or inherently bad. I take a more relativistic stance. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

She's especially this way when it comes to politics. We're both pretty liberal politically but it seems like half her facebook posts are ranting against republicans and how they should just go to hell. Whereas I'm more like I don't agree with their agenda and I hope they get someone better for next term but complaining isn't going to do much and its just a waste of time.

I really don't know this person's socionic type. She's tested as ESFP and ENFP on separate occassions on the Myers-Briggs FWIW, which is not the same as socionics anyway.

Anyway, are there types you think that are more prone to the kinds of behaviors my neighbor demonstrates?
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuck yes, thats fi type bullshit

isfjs do this to a ridiculous degree. she sounds just like this one I know and it irritates the fuck out of me.
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds like a particularly pushy ego
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a Dominant SEE. Se combined with Serious/Objectivist, and an instinct to take control of her surroundings.
    Quaero Veritas.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    Anyway, are there types you think that are more prone to the kinds of behaviors my neighbor demonstrates?
    I think basically any type can do this, especially extraverted types. Often, it's not so much a matter of type, but of circumstances the individual is in. E.g. if someone holds opinions that fall on deaf ears all the time (e.g. because of bad quadra interaction, or interaction with lots of people of differing intellect), the positions held increasingly might become extreme over time. The way in which this manifests itself, however, might be type related.

As a teenager I was very opiniated in the way you describe, in hindsight mostly because of interaction with people who never agreed with me or simply had no interest in what I had to say. In my family and in highschool, I was sort of the odd-person-out. All that changed when I went to uni and from day one started to meet lots of people I had no problems communicating with. You then become milder in your positions and in the way you communicate them.

So perhaps your neighbor simply is in the wrong social network.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Akra View Post
    I have learned, through various experiences, that this kind of behavior and thinking (or at least someone acting on such thoughts) bothers me greatly. The worst part is when you're unable to get away... (Easy to block a Facebook friend, not as easy to walk away from a real life interaction.)
    She lives a few doors down from me in my apartment complex. We used to talk to each other some but we don't really talk anymore. We say hi to each other when we pass each other down the hall, but that's it. She's not someone I wish I get close to.

We were never Facebook friends. We do share a mutual friend and because of that, she will appear on the list of "People you may know". She's set up her profile so that *anyone* can view it, friends or not and I admit to having a little bit of a voyeuristic streak and peeking at it every now and then.

Mentioned
    760 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

You'll be surprised how many types are like this.

EIE, ESE, LSI, etc and any type can be somewhat like this in certain situations.

This is not a SEE imo, these are much more mild people. They are nice, gracious, charming, but vindictive when you don't give them what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by thePirate
    fuck yes, thats fi type bullshit

isfjs do this to a ridiculous degree. she sounds just like this one I know and it irritates the fuck out of me.
    Does this person sound like this? Then she's probably EIE.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I have a neighbor who's extremely opinionated about many things and doesn't hestitate to shove it down your throat. She's the kind of person that if she loves something or hates something, the whole world seems to know about it. She'll frequently post things on Facebook like how awful the movie she just saw was and she feels like it's her obligation to tell others how awful it is so that no one wastes their money or time on it. She's also that way about music, about restaurants (you must order this, don't order that!), books, TV, sports, politics, well everything.

It's as if she doesn't quite grasp that her opinion is not the final authority and that other people have different opinions on things.

Her point of view is completely different from mine. If I like or dislike something, I'm always careful to say that it's just my opinion, its not the absolute truth. But most of the time, I don't feel a need to broadcast to the whole world everytime I encounter something really good or really bad. I don't tell people things like, you gotta see this movie or avoid that one at all costs. What people do with their own time is their own business and as long as they're not harming anyone else, I really don't care. My neighbor thinks alot of things in this world are inherently good or inherently bad. I take a more relativistic stance. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

She's especially this way when it comes to politics. We're both pretty liberal politically but it seems like half her facebook posts are ranting against republicans and how they should just go to hell. Whereas I'm more like I don't agree with their agenda and I hope they get someone better for next term but complaining isn't going to do much and its just a waste of time.

I really don't know this person's socionic type. She's tested as ESFP and ENFP on separate occassions on the Myers-Briggs FWIW, which is not the same as socionics anyway.

Obligation to others is Fi, not in the immediate but to the whole of the world. Fi has this "saving" kind of an approach of looking at things and people. Absolute truths is seeing things in black or white that sounds like INFj. Stubborness. FiNe feels this need to broascast, to be out there, to let everyone know what's right or wrong, good or bad.

The last highlight is nothing like INFj in that we don't think that people are inharently good/bad. We believe they are good and the world messes them up.

See the second sentance is kind of like me because we feel an obligation to inform and that makes whatever she is doing a cause for others not just herself or not just an opinion.

I would agree with ESE typing on this; 100% J type of a person. I would rule out INFj based on the inharent nature deal; I would rule in ESTj.
    The ranter is like a forum member here, HITTA, who opens threads just to rant.
    Here's another, you can read his backlog of rants...

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...s-asshole.html
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 04-19-2010 at 05:31 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frig, I wrote a longer post about this and school internet lost it.

In summary:

SEE = opinions about reality/right/wrong
    ESE = taste for environment/experience

By the description above, I would say your neighbour sounds like ESE or EIE like hkkmr said. The difference imo comes from your neighbours intent and motivation. If she was actually right out offended by the experiences then I would say ESE. If she's trying to establish a kind of hierarchal order of these things or to establish her own good taste, I would say EIE.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

Creepy-Cyclops

Yeah I suppose it can be related to ESFp, but then I know an ESFp who's really mild mannered, at least when I know him. He's a top class diplomat, and he always seems to be listened to.

What irks me is people who have to be right all the time - know it alls.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i find creative Se to be more pushy than Se leading. by a large margin.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vero View Post
    Frig, I wrote a longer post about this and school internet lost it.

In summary:

SEE = opinions about reality/right/wrong
    ESE = taste for environment/experience

By the description above, I would say your neighbour sounds like ESE or EIE like hkkmr said. The difference imo comes from your neighbours intent and motivation. If she was actually right out offended by the experiences then I would say ESE. If she's trying to establish a kind of hierarchal order of these things or to establish her own good taste, I would say EIE.
    I think not SEE -opinions on right and wrong would be more Fi wouldn't it; SEE are a lot more open minded. I agree with you completely, the neighbor is more ESE then SEE. I kind of feel like, with the idealism thing that it would be ESTj/LSE not EIE at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Yeah I suppose it can be related to ESFp, but then I know an ESFp who's really mild mannered, at least when I know him. He's a top class diplomat, and he always seems to be listened to.

What irks me is people who have to be right all the time - know it alls.
    Wouldn't that be more J types then P types?
    P is a lot more open minded then the J.
    J types are awful about black and white lines much more so then open minded P types.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 04-19-2010 at 05:32 PM.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    I think not SEE -opinions on right and wrong would be more Fi wouldn't it; SEE are a lot more open minded. I agree with you completely, the neighbor is more ESE then SEE. I kind of feel like, with the idealism thing that it would be ESTj/LSE not EIE at all.
    SEEs are Fi-creative. Which is less than Fi-base, but still quite Fi.

Wouldn't that be more J types then P types?
    P is a lot more open minded then the J.
    J types are awful about black and white lines much more so then open minded P types.
    MBTI.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    SEEs are Fi-creative. Which is less than Fi-base, but still quite Fi.

MBTI.
    Doesn't matter; Rational then I would say, although there's nothing rational about the behavior except to "save" the world from bad movies...that's ironic. I am saying that it can't be SEE or EII; it has to be ESE or ???

SEE-Se is evaluated as Fi comes in the door
    ESI-Fi is evaluated as Se comes in the door

It can't be Se because it's not occupation of a space to be moral in the context of posting rants. SEE would then have no reason to behave in such a manner, so it makes that behavior completely unnatural to the type and almost impossible.

ESE-Fe is evaluated as Si comes in the door

Si being a variety of hedonistic experiences makes sense for the person to be Si; The person's feelings or need to influence feelings is driven by the quality/sensation of the movie experience.

Very pretty Avatar
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 04-19-2010 at 06:17 PM.
    -

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This really sounds like it has more to do with values than (mostly about opinions and correctness/incorrectness of them). I know some insecure leading types that do this. Otherwise I would say LSI.

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by momoking View Post
    I have an EIE aquaintance that has strong opinions on most topics especially Jewish culture, and Neo-Nazis with ******. I told her about my interest in the paintings I post on my walls and I described each one to her. Selfishly she cuts me off when she is not interested with my choice of topic: "I dont' have any posters in my room." It's so frustrating
    EIE may be like that when things crosses her ideology or beliefs.
    But commenting on experiences it's more ESE like.
    Then SEEs are more likely to make such comments on people
    Fi vs Si vs Ni here...
    as for example:
    SEE: Nobody should be friends with her. She did this and that...
    ESE: Don't try this dish! It's disgusting.
    EIE: Who could dress like that? It's too vulgar.
    Sincerely Yours,

Beyond the clouds. Beyond the sun.

The Rebel without a cause.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarinana View Post
    EIE may be like that when things crosses her ideology or beliefs.
    But commenting on experiences it's more ESE like.
    Do you have a socionic explanation for this? I have met plenty of EIEs who are like this. It may just be a YMMV thing.
    It hurts me to think people still think things like this are type related. Really people? And the same people ask and propagate these types of questions. No wonder discussions don't really go anywhere.
    Seriously, it's not hard to see the connection to here. Do you honestly know any, say, IEEs or EIIs who would do something like the person mentioned in the OP? I certainly don't, but I know plenty of LSIs, for example, who would.

There is plenty of evidence for values too:

-focused on issues of real-world import
    -interested in influencing others
    -disregards alternate views (subdued )

The latter two things are probably what bothers warrior-librarian, not the opinionatedness, per se. warrior-librarian, does this sound right?

LSI is the most likely typing IMO.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if you say that it's type-related then it'll make it sound like it's normal for a certain type to act like that, when it's really just her anger and/or unresolved issues that is making her act that way.

I mean who DOESN'T like someone who disregards alternative views, or someone who is hell-bent on influencing others?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Well if you say that it's type-related then it'll make it sound like it's normal for a certain type to act like that, when it's really just her anger and/or unresolved issues that is making her act that way.
    SOME type-related behaviors are pathological. Certainly not all LSIs are like that, but if someone is like that then there is a good chance that they're LSI, but also have some psychological/interpersonal issues. Is that PC enough? Socionics is about explaining people's behavior, after all.

types are certainly more aggressive (on the whole) than other types, I don't even know what to say about this.

I mean who DOESN'T like someone who disregards alternative views, or someone who is hell-bent on influencing others?
    This is just warrior-librarian's interpretation. Someone else might easily have a different view of the situation.

edit: reading the OP again makes me think some other type is possible, maybe SEE.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Seriously, it's not hard to see the connection to here. Do you honestly know any, say, IEEs or EIIs who would do something like the person mentioned in the OP? I certainly don't, but I know plenty of LSIs, for example, who would.
    Oh really? Is that your only evidence, that you personally haven't met someone that you've typed as an -ego that is super-opinionated and can't concieve of the idea? Sorry, but I'm calling bullshit. There is no reason to think that this behavior is prominent enough in one type to be criteria for spotting such a type. So, if I stick to my guns here, and I don't budge, are you going to start questioning my type since I'm not as passive as NeFi are supposed to be, as least, in your eyes? You are basically just applying stereotypes to the IEs; that is aggression and force while is logical rigidness. And that's just wrong, neither cause the traits that you are claiming, and its an overall practice that should stop in Socionics.

The latter two things are probably what bothers warrior-librarian, not the opinionatedness, per se. warrior-librarian, does this sound right?

Is that what you see IEs as? IEs in their function placements only provide us with a certain facet of thought processes, and all that is cited here are definitive links to personality traits is MBTI influences. Look at your list up there and tell me that isn't rhetoric similar to MBTI. Why does have to concerned with the "real world" as opposed to types? How come only types have the trait "disregards alternate views"? How about an type who feels like they generally consider all view-points, and when they hear something they haven't thought of, but sounds wrong, to completely disregard it? I think you can go through every IE and find out how they could be this way.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's mainly the last one that bothers me. Having creative , I'm naturally going to be very sensitive to issues regarding potential. So if someone refuses to consider how something can have potential, it bothers me.

I have strong , so I naturally see potential in things, even when its not apparently obvious.

Wanting to influence others per se, doesn't really bother me. Its more the pushiness or dogmatism in others that bothers me. As if, their POV is the right one and others are wrong, which is really just a manifestation of disregarding alternative views again.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by look.to.the.sky View Post
    Oh really? Is that your only evidence, that you personally haven't met someone that you've typed as an -ego that is super-opinionated and can't concieve of the idea? Sorry, but I'm calling bullshit. There is no reason to think that this behavior is prominent enough in one type to be criteria for spotting such a type. So, if I stick to my guns here, and I don't budge, are you going to start questioning my type since I'm not as passive as NeFi are supposed to be, as least, in your eyes? You are basically just applying stereotypes to the IEs; that is aggression and force while is logical rigidness. And that's just wrong, neither cause the traits that you are claiming, and its an overall practice that should stop in Socionics.

Is that what you see IEs as? IEs in their function placements only provide us with a certain facet of thought processes, and all that is cited here are definitive links to personality traits is MBTI influences. Look at your list up there and tell me that isn't rhetoric similar to MBTI. Why does have to concerned with the "real world" as opposed to types? How come only types have the trait "disregards alternate views"? How about an type who feels like they generally consider all view-points, and when they hear something they haven't thought of, but sounds wrong, to completely disregard it? I think you can go through every IE and find out how they could be this way.
    The above is right to a big extent.
    Ne types don't necessarily consider all viewpoints only what is selectively making sense to them
    -

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by momoking View Post
    EIE or ESE is probable. Today we recieved some CD and she worried that a person so-called "stalker" was going to take her picture and mark it up or someone would print it out and use it as target practice. She's difficult. Also she is annoying
    if you are not ij temperament yourself all ej types can come to you as annoying
    Sincerely Yours,

Beyond the clouds. Beyond the sun.

The Rebel without a cause.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that overly-aggressive behaviors are all the type-related.

momoking
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's a way to put it.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hmm.

I just think you're not as nice as you think or something. A lot of people think they are being decent and respectful when really they're actually not. But I mean that's okay being nice and a 'lovable geek' is just sort of a social illusion anyway is it not?

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It hurts me to think people still think things like this are type related. Really people? And the same people ask and propagate these types of questions. No wonder discussions don't really go anywhere.

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first instinct is to say Gamma
    Stan is not my real name.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See the immanence type thread. It's the discordant types who shove their opinions down your throat. Generally though, ESEs are the most opinionated. (but again, only discordant ESEs are like to try to force you to accept their views).

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generally though, ESEs are the most opinionated.
    I find that most are like MaliaFee in that they have few strong opinions and mostly just tend to ask people for their input on their topics of interest.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Rick's impressions, this is clear-cut ESE behavior:

strong tastes and preferences; enthusiastic and forceful about likes and dislikes; socialites; emotionally involved; reflect values of community; large emotional range
    Socionic Types and their Overal Moods
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ESFp brother in law is like that. Watching TV, he always loudly proclaims his likes and dislikes of the things he sees with a readiness to defend these views. He also tends to express these in absolute terms and never calls them "his opinions".

The above is not a value judgment. It's simply a constatation.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cone View Post
    According to Rick's impressions, this is clear-cut ESE behavior:

strong tastes and preferences; enthusiastic and forceful about likes and dislikes; socialites; emotionally involved; reflect values of community; large emotional range

Socionic Types and their Overal Moods
    Based on that little snippet, sounds like I'd be turned off be ESE behavior, yet they are supposed to be my duals. Assuming I got my self-typing right of course.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on that little snippet, sounds like I'd be turned off be ESE behavior, yet they are supposed to be my duals. Assuming I got my self-typing right of course.
    These things are only partly type-related, I think. Do 1/16 of people act like this?

I also thought ESE at first, especially because of "need to broadcast" and "if I like it, it's good and you should like it as well" attitude, but they're usually not as forceful as you make her be (could be Se-PoLR speaking, I don't know), and not with strangers. That woman could be ESE, SEE or some other type for all I know. No type has monopoly on acting like this, really.

Also, this snippet about ESE sounds true and it works rather well with LIIs poor awareness of their likes/dislikes, in my observation.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    These things are only partly type-related, I think. Do 1/16 of people act like this?

I also thought ESE at first, especially because of "need to broadcast" and "if I like it, it's good and you should like it as well" attitude, but they're usually not as forceful as you make her be (could be Se-PoLR speaking, I don't know), and not with strangers. That woman could be ESE, SEE or some other type for all I know. No type has monopoly on acting like this, really.

Also, this snippet about ESE sounds true and it works rather well with LIIs poor awareness of their likes/dislikes, in my observation.
    Certain types do have monopoly on actions, that's why I think once we figure it out, we, socionics psychologists can revolutionize helping people by encouraging them to refrain from certain actions based on their type....see where I am headed dear?

Force is not Se. Force is not Se. Force is not Se....someone should write that in stone somewhere. Maybe it's not force but idealism that is perceived to be forceful and driving in nature.
    -

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

someone should write that in stone somewhere.
    Counterintuitively, things written in stone tend to remain unknown to the majority of the population.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Force is not Se. Force is not Se. Force is not Se....someone should write that in stone somewhere. Maybe it's not force but idealism that is perceived to be forceful and driving in nature.
    I mentioned forced in reference to Se-PoLR. Which is oversensitive to anything it perceives as display of force against it, or so socionics sources tell me.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I was wondering too. Perhaps, though, this particular woman needs to be cooled off a bit, maybe? I don't think Rick's description was meant to imply something immediately unlikable.

However, my first impression was like thePirate's: that it's an -related thing, since it's about likes/dislikes. But I think Rick's impressions here make sense, in the sense that feels ok with telling , an inherently subjective process, what one's needs and what one needs to acquire/achieve are, according to some external thing. Likewise, feels ok with telling others what they should like/dislike, how relationships should manifest, etc. Just an idea.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)