Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
But it's wonderful, because there's so much energy and passion and drive and will. I feel like people are more naked here because they're more desperate. Like, you see more of them leak out, even as they try to wrap themselves up in culture and convention and clothes. I couldn't live somewhere rural. Not enough noise.
Yea I'd agree, but thats positive side... the city imo has two different aspects to its nature, one is the positive and the other the negative. This is a fairly good description of the positive, tons of people's lives intersect because there are so many people, there is alot of life, alot of culture, and its all forcibly exposed because its not easy to escape from the crowd, so you learn to manage that, sometimes it gets to you, but after so much pressure you just reflexively loosen up and express yourself. The negative description of it is all the cynicism that is cultivated, especially with conflicts, in rural areas its easy to be detached from the horrors of reality, but in the city, everyone is so compact there is no escape to the bad thing people do to each other, even the slight actions, and it jades the person. Both the positive and the negative are at work in the city, and thats what makes it a unique setting, and alot of art has come out of this. Alot of Jazz seems to me for whatever reason to express this kind of unique american big city new york 1930's mentality. It is filled with the cynicism of it and the positive side of it.

I picture central park in october or something with this

Quote Originally Posted by electric sheep View Post
I grew up in LA, so I know all about pretentious jerks, and traffic. Now I'm in a college town Ohio where all the students want to look like they're from LA. Tanning booths and Abercrombie & Fitch are pretty big here. I dunno maybe seeing this bizarre replication of LA culture is making me want to leave even more. Achievement never really appealed to me, I just think it's like getting on the hamster wheel. You work hard to get far, then you have to work even harder, and soon you can't even enjoy what you've worked hard to get. Most rich people don't even care about what they have, they just care if they have more than their peers. I just want the good life.

I think I tend to be really mellow for a 3 actually.
Yea well I wasn't assuming you weren't from a big city, and well if your from LA you know alot about bad driving. I'm from Austin, TX... I go to the University of Texas there, so yea....