Thread: Tritype and Instinctual Variant Link?

Hybrid View

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tritype and Instinctual Variant Link?

For the past week or so I've started to study Enneagram more in-depth, and a question has occurred to me: is there any link between the instinctual variants and the tri-type? For example, if one were a 2-9-7, so/sp/sx, would the 2 type and the Social instinct be linked? And would the person, when dealing with Self-Preservation matters, shift into 9 mode, etc.?

Something like this:
    2-so
    9-sp
    7-sx

I'm just wondering if there's been any writing on this idea, or if it's even reasonable, or what. It's just a thought that occurred to me, which seems internally consistent, but may or may not be valid.
    Quaero Veritas.

Creepy-male

I haven't heard of such a thing, but I think the most reasonable way to interpret this is with the so, sx, and sp instincts operating as additional information in the instinctual triad. Since they are fundamentally supposed to be instincts.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think instinctual stacking affects all points on the trifix equally.
    The saddest ESFj

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4-7-9 sx/so/sp

I get closer to others using 4 strategies
    I do social interaction using 7 strategies
    I protect myself using 9 strategies

Sounds like it makes sense to me. I do protect myself by repressing anger and being "sweet" and "nice". And I suppose when I'm in a social interaction I like to be the "fun" person, but then when I narrow it down to the one-on-one relationship (the one I'm most interested in anyway), I don't want to be the fun one anymore, I want to express my soul. So yeah, I buy that.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    I haven't heard of such a thing, but I think the most reasonable way to interpret this is with the so, sx, and sp instincts operating as additional information in the instinctual triad. Since they are fundamentally supposed to be instincts.
    I dunno, despite the fact that they're both called "instinctual", I tend to think they're two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by electric sheep View Post
    I think instinctual stacking affects all points on the trifix equally.
    Yeah, that's the other possibility I was considering. Any reasoning/evidence behind this, or is it just kind of a gut feeling?

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    4-7-9 sx/so/sp

Sounds like it makes sense to me. I do protect myself by repressing anger and being "sweet" and "nice". And I suppose when I'm in a social interaction I like to be the "fun" person, but then when I narrow it down to the one-on-one relationship (the one I'm most interested in anyway), I don't want to be the fun one anymore, I want to express my soul. So yeah, I buy that.
    Cool, that makes sense. It also seems to make sense with my own type: 1-5-4 sp/sx/so

I protect myself using 1 strategies ("If I do everything right, I'll be safe!").
    I get closer to others using 5 strategies ("I want us to know everything about each other").
    I socialize using 4 strategies ("Look how weird and interesting I am! Now I must go sit in a dark room and moan about how I have no friends..." )

I'm just a little cautious that there may be some Forer effect at play here. However, it does seem to line up quite nicely so far.
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    Yeah, that's the other possibility I was considering. Any reasoning/evidence behind this, or is it just kind of a gut feeling?
    Well the instincts are like a "prime directive" that drives everything else. Personality can get in the way of someone's instinctual needs, but everything is ultimately to serve the instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    4-7-9 sx/so/sp

well this is what trifix is all about. It's not really related to the instincts. The gut fix deals a lot with how someone treats their boundaries with other people. Having an 8 gut fix is offensive, 9 fix is passive, 1 fix is rigid/defensive. It doesn't matter what your stacking is--that's just how the gut fix is defined. It makes no sense for an sp 4 to defend themselves using some 4 strategies, for instance.

You aren't too far off with how you're looking at the trifix, but the instinct is different. Image fix deals a lot with how you want to come across to other people, but still that instinctual need is on a different plane. Social instinct deal with social status. If you have social as primary instinct, you're mostly concerned with your status in your community (however you define it) and that acts independently of your image fix.
    The saddest ESFj

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by electric sheep View Post
    Well the instincts are like a "prime directive" that drives everything else. Personality can get in the way of someone's instinctual needs, but everything is ultimately to serve the instincts.

well this is what trifix is all about. It's not really related to the instincts. The gut fix deals a lot with how someone treats their boundaries with other people. Having an 8 gut fix is offensive, 9 fix is passive, 1 fix is rigid/defensive. It doesn't matter what your stacking is--that's just how the gut fix is defined. It makes no sense for an sp 4 to defend themselves using some 4 strategies, for instance.

You aren't too far off with how you're looking at the trifix, but the instinct is different. Image fix deals a lot with how you want to come across to other people, but still that instinctual need is on a different plane. Social instinct deal with social status. If you have social as primary instinct, you're mostly concerned with your status in your community (however you define it) and that acts independently of your image fix.
    Hmm, this also makes sense. Do you have a link to any further reading on this subject?
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    For the past week or so I've started to study Enneagram more in-depth, and a question has occurred to me: is there any link between the instinctual variants and the tri-type? For example, if one were a 2-9-7, so/sp/sx, would the 2 type and the Social instinct be linked? And would the person, when dealing with Self-Preservation matters, shift into 9 mode, etc.?

Something like this:
    2-so
    9-sp
    7-sx

I'm just wondering if there's been any writing on this idea, or if it's even reasonable, or what. It's just a thought that occurred to me, which seems internally consistent, but may or may not be valid.
    I know this is old, but it makes sense to me. Each type exemplifies certain instinctual variants and it wouldn't make much sense to have a tritype that goes against that. That would be like saying I`m a certain tritype, but not really identifying with it.

But as a 9-5-4 - the contemplative - the descriptions say this stacking is very introverted and social last. And it wouldn't make much sense to have a triple withdrawn tritype be So first. And I am sp/sx.
    previously Megadoodoo