Thread: How empathetic and sympathetic are SLIs-ISTps?

Hybrid View

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm upset, my husband doesn't show his empathy, but it is there. He'll end up taking care of something I usually take care of, or do something else in an attempt to make me feel better. Weak Fe - so no outward show of it. So he uses the Si instead. "You might like to take a nap." "How about if I take the kids out for a bit so you can have some quiet?" "I'll take care of dinner tonight. You relax." It isn't always immediate though. Sometimes I'll be upset and then he'll do something nice later in the day.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, yeah, and waht Cyrano said too. The Si + Te thing = problem solving and fixing stuff. I have been upset about something and he starts problem solving and figuring out a way to fix it. The Si alone stuff is more when it isn't something he can fix, like if I'm hormonal and sad or something. There's no fixing that so it's just about providing comfort.

There have been times where someone does something to upset me and he'll say, "Well dont' hang out with her anymore." Which honestly isn't very useful. I think he figures the problem is solved at that point. LOL. He'll often take care of dinner or whatever in those cases too, though.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

ISTp's can be very empathetic towards people and animals, sure, why not, they are human.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariella View Post
    Oh, yeah, and waht Cyrano said too. The Si + Te thing = problem solving and fixing stuff. I have been upset about something and he starts problem solving and figuring out a way to fix it. The Si alone stuff is more when it isn't something he can fix, like if I'm hormonal and sad or something. There's no fixing that so it's just about providing comfort.

There have been times where someone does something to upset me and he'll say, "Well dont' hang out with her anymore." Which honestly isn't very useful. I think he figures the problem is solved at that point. LOL. He'll often take care of dinner or whatever in those cases too, though.
    aww that's nice! He sounds like such a good person I think things like that would cheer me up too.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I find them very empathetic. If you're crying over something they think is trivial, though, they're usually confused as to why you're upset over something easily fixable. They might even think you're just doing it for attention if they can't connect with the reason you're upset. The guys I think find it harder to sympathize.
    IEE

TIM
    Fi-IEE Sx/so 739
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I'm pretty easily moved... I think I am, anyway.
    It's pretty easy for me to be affected by someone's emotional state, but for the most part, I find that I don't know what to say (or don't know how to say it).
    If I say something wrong or offensive and I know it, guilt comes pretty quickly.