@Adam Strange
You were told by an authority figure to find something, not being able to find it. You get help but still nothing.
I see a kind of stubborness in this: I'll find the thing and not let the authority figure know I struggle.

It... almost sounds like all your life revolves around filling the wish of someone who don't seem to care about you, even this other student who tried to help couldn't, and it might be because the thing you "need" to please the teacher doesn't exist, only hints of it. And what is the thing you "need" to find? Something used to fix or create things by assembling two or more pieces. Maybe you're trying to fix or create a relationship with the teacher, but this idea you had when awake of how'd feel feel if you had tape, maybe deep down you want to fix or create a relationship with yourself.

For some reason, I had the impression the person who helped was the ESI. It reminds me of the ESI who said you don't seem to feel good enough, forgive my memory if I got that wrong.
If the problem is that you're not good enough because you can't fulfill the expectations of the teacher, that may not be achieveable, no one can help. Only offer a temporairy relief, but they'll get worn out of searching endlessly.

There's also this stubborn element in the face of struggle, of not seeking the teacher for help in finding the thing, or simply reporting failure. It's the teacher's role* to have all the things needed for class, but did they ever need tape? Making a student responsible while the others are attended to, so one student runs endlessly in search of tape, being uncared for, that's kind of mean. It gives me an impression of the student being stuck with responsabilities others don't have, they can be the kids they are, and you cannot.
Another student decide to try to help, to share your responsability, but it's futil. That's sad.
But what's sadder is was there any need of scotch tape to begin with?

*the roll/role typo comes to mind.