Thread: Reinin dichotomies: "Aristocracy / Democracy" - doesn't everyone do both?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Reinin dichotomies: "Aristocracy / Democracy" - doesn't everyone do both?

I can sort of see what the dichotomy is trying to say, but then again I don't. Almost everyone that I know shows traits of both dichtomies at once... anyone care to clarify what it actually means? I'm using the wikisocion definition. The dichotomy seems to identify something that everyone does- you see someone and they seem similar to other people you know or who they remind you of. Then you assume that they have some of those traits. Then when you get to know them, you see them for their individual traits rather than the traits associated with that "group." And yes... the STs and NFs that I know do this, as well as NTs and SFs. So obviously there is something I'm missing with what it actually means. Thanks.
    SEE-Fi 9w8 sx/sp

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way I currently see this, it's treating Feeling and Sensing (and Thinking and Intuition) as going together, as opposed to treating Feeling and Intuition (and Thinking and Sensing) as going together - basically the clubs, which become a meaningful difference when you consider that duals are of the opposite clubs, but side clubs have no very good relationship (semi-dual being the best of them). So Democratic is anyone who is SF or has an SF dual, while Aristocratic is anyone who is ST or has an ST dual.

I don't think much of the Wikisocion description of this dichotomy... I think we had one on some thread that I liked, but it was of the "theoretical garble" variety.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    The way I currently see this, it's treating Feeling and Sensing (and Thinking and Intuition) as going together, as opposed to treating Feeling and Intuition (and Thinking and Sensing) as going together - basically the clubs, which become a meaningful difference when you consider that duals are of the opposite clubs, but side clubs have no very good relationship (semi-dual being the best of them). So Democratic is anyone who is SF or has an SF dual, while Aristocratic is anyone who is ST or has an ST dual.

I don't think much of the Wikisocion description of this dichotomy... I think we had one on some thread that I liked, but it was of the "theoretical garble" variety.
    Well what is a good description of the dichotomy then? I mean, what you put is good and all but that doesn't actually describe what it does within a person.

I tried searching for similar threads... didn't come up with anything. Do you have any you could link to me? I'd appreciate it.
    SEE-Fi 9w8 sx/sp

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Well what is a good description of the dichotomy then? I mean, what you put is good and all but that doesn't actually describe what it does within a person.

I tried searching for similar threads... didn't come up with anything. Do you have any you could link to me? I'd appreciate it.
    I know the thread I was thinking of would be hard to search for (even for me)... it was a derailed thread by the event I was thinking of. I'll try to repeat it from memory.

Democratics investigate why things work the way they do - Aristocrats simply recognize that they work, and use it. Aristocratics investigate their feelings, and why they feel the way they do - Democrats simply recognize that they feel the way they do.

Here we have Intuition as investigation, Thinking as mechanical workings of the universe, Sensing as recognition of what is, and Feeling as, well, feelings. Democrats look on mechanical workings as the thing to be studied, and feelings as something to be simply recognized - Aristocrats look on feelings as the thing to be studied, and mechanical workings as something to be simply recognized.

Ah yes, and my source - Pinocchio and Strrrng were the primary participants in that discussion, as I recall; I commented, but I don't think that I influenced the above description at the time (though I'm sure I've changed it slightly in reciting it from memory).

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I can sort of see what the dichotomy is trying to say, but then again I don't. Almost everyone that I know shows traits of both dichtomies at once... anyone care to clarify what it actually means? I'm using the wikisocion definition. The dichotomy seems to identify something that everyone does- you see someone and they seem similar to other people you know or who they remind you of. Then you assume that they have some of those traits. Then when you get to know them, you see them for their individual traits rather than the traits associated with that "group." And yes... the STs and NFs that I know do this, as well as NTs and SFs. So obviously there is something I'm missing with what it actually means. Thanks.
    Same as most dichotomies, imo some are more useful than others, and for me, this is one which is harder to place than the main ones for an individual, maybe I just need to work on applying it more.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It points out a respect in which opposite quadras are similar.

It's like saying militant atheists and religious nuts have in common that they are both obsessed with the issue of religion.