Thread: Jung, Meyers-Briggs, and Socionics Rant

Hybrid View

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you explain what you mean here? How did Myers accept the funcitons "as is", and how did socionists revise them?
    That's simple. Jung presented descriptions of 8 types in his Psychological Types (1920), and these descriptions, without any corrections, were later accepted by both Myers and competing analytical psychologists as descriptions of Dominant functions.

At the same time, Myers revised Jung's concept of rationality (judgment) / irrationality (perception), you know how.

Augusta read the same Jung's work, Psychological Types (1920), and it also served as a basis of description of Program functions of the socionic types. However, Augusta found several inconsistencies in descriptions of these functions, and later she presented REVISED descriptions of all the 8 functions in her Duality of Human Nature (1982). She presented extraverted functions as energy-spending and introverted as energy-saving, and eliminated from the original Jung's descriptions everything that contradicted to this concept. In fact, she had to correct descriptions of only 2 functions, Se and Si; the remaining 6 functions were left almost intact.

At the same time, she left Jung's concept of rationality (judgment) / irrationality (perception) "as is".

Therefore, both Myers and Augusta revised Jung in their own way, and this is the reason of contradictions between the two theories.
    www.socioniko.net is no longer my site.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitri Lytov View Post
    That's simple. Jung presented descriptions of 8 types in his Psychological Types (1920), and these descriptions, without any corrections, were later accepted by both Myers and competing analytical psychologists as descriptions of Dominant functions.

At the same time, Myers revised Jung's concept of rationality (judgment) / irrationality (perception), you know how.

Augusta read the same Jung's work, Psychological Types (1920), and it also served as a basis of description of Program functions of the socionic types. However, Augusta found several inconsistencies in descriptions of these functions, and later she presented REVISED descriptions of all the 8 functions in her Duality of Human Nature (1982). She presented extraverted functions as energy-spending and introverted as energy-saving, and eliminated from the original Jung's descriptions everything that contradicted to this concept. In fact, she had to correct descriptions of only 2 functions, Se and Si; the remaining 6 functions were left almost intact.

At the same time, she left Jung's concept of rationality (judgment) / irrationality (perception) "as is".

Therefore, both Myers and Augusta revised Jung in their own way, and this is the reason of contradictions between the two theories.
    If I remember correctly, Myers came across Jung's work on psychological type while she was working on her own model of temperament and personality, which she then fused with Jung's ideas. Apparently, or so I have read, Jungian psychologists actually detest the MBTI for various reasons, like botching the description of Sensing types and creating a common "Sensors are un-intellectual dumb jocks" misconception. There used to be a very good message board called Typology Central that promoted a "pure" form of Jungian psychological typology and Jungian psychology more generally, but it disappeared about a year ago.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Selseth View Post
    If I remember correctly, Myers came across Jung's work on psychological type while she was working on her own model of temperament and personality, which she then fused with Jung's ideas. Apparently, or so I have read, Jungian psychologists actually detest the MBTI for various reasons, like botching the description of Sensing types and creating a common "Sensors are un-intellectual dumb jocks" misconception. There used to be a very good message board called Typology Central that promoted a "pure" form of Jungian psychological typology and Jungian psychology more generally, but it disappeared about a year ago.
    That forum is still around.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryene Astraelis View Post
    That forum is still around.
    Ack, I meant Typology Nation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Selseth View Post
    We Jungian Purists at TypologyCentral are alive and kicking.