Page 6 of 163 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Delta Lounge

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We could definitely stand to have some more ESFps, they tend to be really cool people. Maybe one or two more ESTjs, we don't need many but it's nice to know they're there to keep things in order. I still think we could stand to lose six or seven ENFps, and the same goes for INTjs.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arctures View Post
    We could definitely stand to have some more ESFps, they tend to be really cool people. Maybe one or two more ESTjs, we don't need many but it's nice to know they're there to keep things in order. I still think we could stand to lose six or seven ENFps, and the same goes for INTjs.
    Yup. One representative is never enough. Ideally, we'd have 100 of each type. That's the minimum sample number. Then we could have hundreds of accurate polls and gather so many statistics and produce so much data...

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    Yup. One representative is never enough. Ideally, we'd have 100 of each type. That's the minimum sample number. Then we could have hundreds of accurate polls and gather so many statistics and produce so much data...
    Well we already produce a ton of data, but it's never particularly accurate lol. It would be good to have reliable sample data though, so things can actually be learned

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone has seen the movie "Beyond Borders",

when the doctor is talking about why he didn't call Angelina Jolie's character by her name in the Ethiopia camp, it's somewhat related to this...

I've had mixed feelings about some things. It's strange because I'm very sure about how I feel about other people, and if I like someone and like them enough to let the feeling grow, it can become very strong. And yet, when I'm not sure about someone, it makes it very difficult to deal with my own feelings. A lot of LSEs, and delta STs in general, may apply the strategy of "trying to not get to close so as to avoid having to lose someone", especially if they have some relational scar tissue.
    (can't find the exact scene)

Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    A lot of LSEs, and delta STs in general, may apply the strategy of "trying to not get to close so as to avoid having to lose someone", especially if they have some relational scar tissue.
    What about "fearing that getting too close will scare someone away?" I've had that thought about some friendships. The "trying to not get to close so as to avoid having to lose someone" concept, though, I'm not sure about. I've tried it, but it doesn't seem that important to me, maybe because I have no relational scar tissue.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would getting close to someone scare them away? I *think* I get that but I'm not really sure what it means. It doesn't seem to be something that I relate to personally (as in i don't often feel that feeling), but I know other people have those feelings.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Why would getting close to someone scare them away? I *think* I get that but I'm not really sure what it means. It doesn't seem to be something that I relate to personally (as in i don't often feel that feeling), but I know other people have those feelings.
    Hmm...it's more like the 'take it slow' concept. If I suddenly tried to be best friends with some girl, she'd probably freak out.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, yeah, I definitely relate to that. I think I don't even try to dictate things like that, other than making suggestions to do things or showing interest in doing things together - I just let the other person 'decide' what kind of relationship we have.

Which is harder if you like the person a lot, mhm.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Oh, yeah, I definitely relate to that. I think I don't even try to dictate things like that, other than making suggestions to do things or showing interest in doing things together - I just let the other person 'decide' what kind of relationship we have.

Which is harder if you like the person a lot, mhm.
    I agree. Or if you don't care for the person. (I had a boring best friend for six years.) Or if the other person does the same thing. That's happened to me.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. Or if you don't care for the person. (I had a boring best friend for six years.) Or if the other person does the same thing. That's happened to me.
    What do you mean by boring?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    What do you mean by boring?
    She was nice, but she was a 3/4-wit and very shy. She would never start a conversation, so I pretty much just entertained her.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She was nice, but she was a 3/4-wit and very shy. She would never start a conversation, so I pretty much just entertained her.
    Why did you stop being best friends if I may ask?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    Why did you stop being best friends if I may ask?
    She moved away.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's rather strange when you understand a relationship and how its working better than an 'ethical type'. Even if only in mechanical terms, as per 'why' someone is doing something. It's sort of uncomfortable to watch, as someone is being confronted with new data that they don't really understand but it makes sense, and checking it against a form of understanding they are confident in - their sense of relation to the person.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it's almost February. How was your January ?

Creepy-male

So it's almost February. How was your January ?
    Average/bad.

Can't wait for February though. People, uni, Isha. Six months of doing nothing is bad. You go crazy.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Akra View Post
    Amazing. Amazingly stressful, then amazingly good. Can't ask for much more, really.

It's going to be a fabulous year.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am currently suffering life without my macbook. I think the hard drive has died again. It's going in to the Apple store later today to find out for sure. *sigh* I think I must have got a lemon, because this'll be at least my third suicidal hard drive, and it's not like I abuse the thing. Fortunately it seems the Apple tech support people are beginning to think the same (that it's overall somehow defective), as I heard at least two of them mention something about taking this to "higher levels" and "more comprehensive replacement" if it is indeed another hard drive failure. So, who knows, maybe I'll end up with a whole new computer. But, regardless, I'm still going through withdrawals.

Happily my brother has an iMac, so I can get my fixes (and super necessary work done) when he's not using it. And, I made a time machine backup right before it started giving me problems, so at least I'll have most of my data in one piece. And, yet another plus, now I have more of a reason to focus on other non-computer-related things that need doing, like cleaning and organizing. Silver linings, silver linings...

Anyway, thanks for listening(/reading). I needed someone to express myself to, and this thread seemed a reasonable place.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck with that, Minde.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was apparently a memory stick not the hard drive that was causing the kernel panic. I think they were just going to give me a replacement for that part, but when I asked the guy helping me if that still fell under the hardware category (referring to what the tech support people had said before about all the problems I've had, not just with hard drives), he went to the back to talk with his manager. When he came back a minute later, he paraphrased what the manager said, "I'm getting tired just listening to the list of things she's had to fix, much less having to actually bring it in for all that. Give her a new one."

I could get into the really technical details, but basically they're giving me a brand new computer that's one level up from what I have now for free and letting me pay the difference for any extras, like more memory and three more years of extended warranty. I seriously could not have hoped for a better result, barring winning the lottery or something. Apple gets some major points from me for this (though it's not like they really needed them - I already really like their products and service).
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now that's a

~good deal~

Creepy-male

now that's a

~good deal~
    You should put *shades* between those two lines. That's how I imagined you saying it in my head.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah so, this ESE I work with is really, really jittery, and kind of speaks like a bird chirps. What do suggestions do you have for getting her to calm down some?

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah so, this ESE I work with is really, really jittery, and kind of speaks like a bird chirps. What do suggestions do you have for getting her to calm down some?
    All the time, or just more recently?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She is jittery in terms of her speech. I think more so when she's talking in public or to important people, a sort of performance anxiety thing, or concerned that she's not able to make someone happy or perhaps too nervous about making a good impression, or being competent.

She's been like this as long as I've known her, almost a year now.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fight Club

- beta.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She is jittery in terms of her speech. I think more so when she's talking in public or to important people, a sort of performance anxiety thing, or concerned that she's not able to make someone happy or perhaps too nervous about making a good impression, or being competent.

She's been like this as long as I've known her, almost a year now.
    If she's like that all the time then the chances of "fixing" her are a lot lower and perhaps not advisable. And even if she could be "fixed", it'd probably be a long-term thing, not quickly or easily done.

However, if she seems to not like being like that (IOW, open to change) then one option would be to try to figure out what the underlying reason is for her nervousness and try to address that.

For example, if she's giving a presentation, maybe talk with her ahead of time to do a run through of it. You'd have to focus on not doing the talking, though, and just ask unobtrusive guiding questions. It's like running a comb through hair, with you as the comb and her doing the combing, allowing her thoughts to get pre-smoothed and in order. The key would be to let her be at her talk comfort level but not let her thoughts get away from where they need to be. Eh, I don't know if that makes sense or not. I'd say pretend to be me talking with you, but you might end up focussing on the wrong things so don't do that.

The point is, if her thoughts and emotions can become smoother and more ordered so will her speech and mannerisms. Since duals are good at providing balance (which would probably help her), perhaps you can pretend to be an INTj, or even an INFj.

If she's nervous out of a sense of inadequacy, find ways to affirm her. I personally would say the best way is to do that indirectly, since too much verbal affirmation might seem either fake/unbelievable or become white noise.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good stuff, esp the comb analogy.

I've appreciated it when you've helped me to comb my thoughts, that's for sure.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote moved to appropriate thread
    Last edited by UDP; 02-05-2010 at 09:24 PM.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charlie from Two and a Half Men strikes me as some sort of delta ST... maybe 9w8?

Creepy-male

What is with the middles of months and being the peak of sucking? It also doesn't help that I'm running on coffee deliberately as an act of random and petty indulgence for the hell of it, making me tired and emotional.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charlie from Two and a Half Men strikes me as some sort of delta ST... maybe 9w8?
    Don't know, but the other guy seems EII. I haven't watched that many episodes really. I bet you got disappointed and lost some interest in that show when the kid grew up... ().

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few EIIs are pushing Bach on me lately (the classical composer).

I'd like to see people become hustlers of classical music.

"Hey man, you want some Beethoven? this is good shit, man..."

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I like the classics, but they can be distracting. I don't understand how people can study with such complex melodic patterns in the background.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if that whole "it makes you smarter / it's good to study with" thing is a bit ethnocentric; does classical music from other parts of the world? Or does it just sort of stir up feelings of Ivy League schools and British Elites and European Grandeur, etc.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My former MacBook (RIP):

The new replacement MacBook Pro:

Because sometimes I like illustrating my stories.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the price of the MacBook Pro, you can get an HP or a Toshiba that will perform 3 times better, in almost every aspect. And have more features, like blue-ray drive for instance.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    For the price of the MacBook Pro, you can get an HP or a Toshiba that will perform 3 times better, in almost every aspect.
    Not counting the extra memory, hard drive space, and extended warranty that I got for it, this MacBook Pro was free for me. Apple gave it to me in return for my old MacBook which had been having chronic hardware problems.

But, regardless of the excellent cost of this one (practically free!), I like Macs and it's really no use arguing with me.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    But, regardless of the excellent cost of this one (practically free!), I like Macs and it's really no use arguing with me.
    (I wouldn't advise arguing with Minde about Macs, myself)

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dude i got some fresh chopin in my trunk

meet me at the burger king parking lot in an hour if you're in

Page 6 of 163 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast