Results 3,161 to 3,200 of 6493

Thread: Delta Lounge

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of the 'recently updated' profiles on that site are INXX types.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And

Are you hungry for worms?
    No, I'm hungry for words...

Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Marie that pic looks a tad photoshopped. Is it?

EDIT: nope, it's not. lol
    yep http://www.bradbutt.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Uniden View Post
    This campaign sign is genius. I mean, how often does a campaign sign capture so much interest that someone would actually take a picture of it to share with others? This person must be an advertising genius.
    The campaign signs are pretty much the exact same every year for all the candidates, the main difference being a change in color (red is liberal, blue conservative, orange NDP, green is green party etc) and the logo, but everyone has their last name in capitals, some have the first name in smaller print near the top

but who knows, the guy might get some extra publicity if people go to his campaign office to get pins and bumper stickers with BUTT on them just for he lolz or something
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marie84 View Post
    it's election season where I am and since I have the humor of a 5 year old I took this pic of one of the candidates signs

100% real btw
    I just know that he'll get to the bottom of things.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And he is not afraid of shitty work that has to be done
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get tired of watching my mother conform to others' expectations. So she's bouncy and vibrant. So she likes funky hairstyles and hair colors. So she wants to wear glittery, colorful nail polish. Whatever. She feels like people will judge her over that sort of thing, and also that she has to watch herself because her husband teaches in children's church (and that it will reflect badlyon him, I guess). This isn't a professional situation, and it's not like she's doing anything immoral or grotesque. If people are going to look down on her for her self-expression, the problem lies with them, not her. I just wish I could get her to see that.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the thread: Do you have different manifestations of yourself in your head?

I have two manifestations of myself in my head. I didn't even mean to do this, but after thinking about it, I realized that one of them represents Ne/Fi and the other of Si/Te. MY HEAD IS A FULL DELTA QUADRA. HOW AWESOME IS THAT.
    Last edited by blankblank; 04-13-2011 at 11:38 PM.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryene Astraelis View Post
    I get tired of watching my mother conform to others' expectations. So she's bouncy and vibrant. So she likes funky hairstyles and hair colors. So she wants to wear glittery, colorful nail polish. Whatever. She feels like people will judge her over that sort of thing, and also that she has to watch herself because her husband teaches in children's church (and that it will reflect badlyon him, I guess). This isn't a professional situation, and it's not like she's doing anything immoral or grotesque. If people are going to look down on her for her self-expression, the problem lies with them, not her. I just wish I could get her to see that.
    I'm getting to the point where I'm realizing certain tendencies "lock in", or start to, in myself and others my age - a sort of crystalization of the psyche in a different way. And I don't like it, because it smacks a lot of what you are getting at above.

Unless you keep growing and examining yourself, you will develop stuff like that in your life, and the longer it remains the harder it will be to address or seem like is something to 'be aware of'

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Random Ness View Post
    To the thread: Do you have different manifestations of yourself in your head?

I have two manifestations of myself in my head. One is gushy, enthusiastic, and creative,
    That's not particularly "Ne+Fi"

and the other is militaristic, diligent, and organized. I didn't even mean to do this, but after thinking about it, I realized that one of them represents Ne/Fi and the other of Si/Te. MY HEAD IS A FULL DELTA QUADRA. HOW AWESOME IS THAT.
    Nor that Si+Te

As far as different manifestations of myself, yes. There has been "the anti social person", the "vibrant leader", the "enlightened sage / scholar", and even the "humanist". I don't think it's much related to socionics; there's a large potential for any type of 'personality' in anyone.

Still, in terms of trying to figure out who you are and how to use all the different cards you've got in your hand (so to say), it's complicated. I've very much been someone who resisted developing myself in a certain way -- athletically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally, and particularly becoming more aware of my own mental processes and those of humans in general.

Even on the forum, I've had periods of "finding myself" - I was very bawdy, brash, 'outgoing', confrontational, flirty, agitating, or otherwise. It's funny how you can see yourself change over time, and I suppose to that end I do appreciate the time I've spent here. There seems to be a lot of necessary trial and error (or is it just because I am so bad at Fi and Ne ?) in terms of figuring out who I am /we are and my/our relationship to others.

So I guess.... to have a sort of conclusion-ish bit of "advice" or at least reflection: don't loose the differing sides to yourself, but rather, explore them as much as you can and perhaps you can ultimately get to a place where you are honestly being your (whole) self.

Aside: I'm inclined to think that might be less complicated for Dominant subtype people, just because it seems their mental structures are much less 'differentiated' in how they operate, but, that's a speculation.

Still, at least at this point on my life, it's nice to see that there are some who embrace a range of experiences and also dealing with them. I advocate not cutting yourself off, and not running away from the apparent complexity of ....... of what the human mind does as it reduces reality to a more digestible form.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Optional background music for the above post:

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i'm a bitch i'm a lover i'm a child i'm a mother i'm a sinner i'm a saint lalalalala

i'll be 27 next month and i heard the other day someone said i look like i'm 12. this is the sort of thing that goes hand in hand to me with men i don't know talking to me in a gentle baby-talk voice or people tensing up when they've realized they've said a swear word in front of me or that guy i used to work with being shocked to find out i had a son because i look "too sweet, like a virgin." (!!!!!!!)

i was thinking about starting a thread about this but felt silly about it. its embarassing. is this a common thing with delta NFs? does it bother anyone else the way it bothers me? i think i might have an especially strong reaction against it because of my complicated relationship with my Se seeking mother (/violins). at the same time, i find myself inadvertently encouraging it because i know that people have certain preconceived notions about me and i don't want to make them uncomfortable so i end up going along in a way. its a really annoying dynamic.

other delta NFs know what i'm talkin bout? please let this not just be me. lol.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know exactly what you're talking about.

It's a sort of social role of "innocence" or "purity" that is stereotyped into strong Fi and weak Se.

at the same time, i find myself inadvertently encouraging it because i know that people have certain preconceived notions about me and i don't want to make them uncomfortable so i end up going along in a way. its a really annoying dynamic.
    It's annoying seeing someone go through this, particularly the bold part. Delta NFs get themselves into so much trouble because of that, and basically lead people on without trying to (if not relationally, in terms of perceiving the NF in a certain way)... and then they can feel guilty about disappointing someone because of these wronged perceptions?

Ugh.
    (I suppose it's super easy for me to criticize them about it because it's something I have absolutely no trouble with, for better or worse)

I've seen NFs stress about this so much. It seems to happen most to people that are in an "undefined" or "in-between" relationship situation, too. As one NF said, "people who I see all the time OR people who I don't have any contact with, I'm fine... but people who I see regularly but am not close to, they give me trouble".

Still, props for you for at least addressing it. A lot of times delta NFs will perceive they are doing it, but they won't actually admit to it if you confront them about it - because like anyone else, it sort of is a direct assault on their self image and comfortable social role.

It won't change until you become more comfortable in being assertive about establishing relational boundaries and being more upfront about who you are. And maybe even being totally confident that you can control the meaning of your actions.... but maybe that's why it's so hard, hm, because NFs might struggle in realizing the 'concrete' or Se+Te related implications of what they are doing.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

it seems you're looking most at the part about not wanting to make others uncomfortable and seeing it more through the lens of sexual interest or something. which has happened, but its not exactly what i was talking about and isn't such a pervasive thing for me. but i can see what you're saying, yeah. frankly i'm wondering if you're conflating the sweet virgin social role with something sexually appealing or if that was just an accident. like, i seem to attract men who are kind of macho and into the whole cute little woman thing which has always made me really uncomfortable. the worst is that i feel stupidly guilty about the fact that i'm actually not what they think i am, like its not their own fucking problem, lol. so yeah, the guilty thing...ew blah

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh View Post
    i'm a bitch i'm a lover i'm a child i'm a mother i'm a sinner i'm a saint lalalalala

i'll be 27 next month and i heard the other day someone said i look like i'm 12. this is the sort of thing that goes hand in hand to me with men i don't know talking to me in a gentle baby-talk voice or people tensing up when they've realized they've said a swear word in front of me or that guy i used to work with being shocked to find out i had a son because i look "too sweet, like a virgin." (!!!!!!!)

i was thinking about starting a thread about this but felt silly about it. its embarassing. is this a common thing with delta NFs? does it bother anyone else the way it bothers me? i think i might have an especially strong reaction against it because of my complicated relationship with my Se seeking mother (/violins). at the same time, i find myself inadvertently encouraging it because i know that people have certain preconceived notions about me and i don't want to make them uncomfortable so i end up going along in a way. its a really annoying dynamic.

other delta NFs know what i'm talkin bout? please let this not just be me. lol.
    Haha... I look ridiculously young, too. I think I come across as a sweet, innocent type, but that is partly because I've spent so long trying to make myself as agreeable as possible (a habit I am working on breaking). I swear; I throw tantrums; I get argumentative - but they don't see any of it. If someone wants to think of me as sweet and purer than I am, whatever. Let them underestimate me.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When people first meet me they will often say how sweet I am. They stop saying that after a certain point.

Probably because, eventually...

...they discover I'm really a cold and calculating robot with lasers for eyes!

And then I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it seems you're looking most at the part about not wanting to make others uncomfortable and seeing it more through the lens of sexual interest or something.
    If I meant sexual interest I would have said it.

which has happened, but its not exactly what i was talking about and isn't such a pervasive thing for me. but i can see what you're saying, yeah.
    Maybe you see what I'm saying, but, I wasn't talking about sexual interest so I'm not sure why you are focusing on that so much. (Perhaps what you wrote about men's interest in you has to do with it?)

"I find myself inadvertently encouraging it because i know that people have certain preconceived notions about me and i don't want to make them uncomfortable so i end up going along in a way."

Right.
    So when I said "Delta NFs get themselves into so much trouble because of that, and basically lead people on without trying to (if not relationally, in terms of perceiving the NF in a certain way)", I didn't mean sexually, but I meant "leading on" in terms of leading someone to believe that they are relating to the NF in a comfortable way... when in reality they aren't. It's actually a form of lying - for the sake of making someone else feel comfortable about whatever their relationship and expectations about the NF is.

frankly i'm wondering if you're conflating the sweet virgin social role with something sexually appealing or if that was just an accident.
    Right, because I see EIIs as sweet little virgin girls who are submissive and bake cookies for LSEs....

like, i seem to attract men who are kind of macho and into the whole cute little woman thing which has always made me really uncomfortable.
    ....So, therefore, I'm someone who fully endorses that way of thinking? Is that what I am? And is that where all of my comments about delta NFs are coming from?

the worst is that i feel stupidly guilty about the fact that i'm actually not what they think i am, like its not their own fucking problem, lol. so yeah, the guilty thing...ew blah
    Why is it easier to feel guilty than to disappoint other people?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    When people first meet me they will often say how sweet I am. They stop saying that after a certain point.

Probably because, eventually...

...they discover I'm really a cold and calculating robot with lasers for eyes!

And then I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
    If you're a generic robot, you won't have to do either. Your tears might also have some sort of radiation via unusual laser-byproducts.

And if you're an EII modeled robot, you'll, apparently, do whichever would be most beneficial to creating a harmonious relationship

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

alright, it was ambiguous, but what you said about it being most common for delta NFs who are in an "in-between" relationship situation made me think that was the aspect on your mind. i don't know you in person and i've been told by others that i don't understand you the way they do because i haven't talked to you enough -- all of which is true and its probably fair to say any impressions i have of you could be way off. so i could tell you whether or not i have an impression of you having some fetish for the virgin archetype but it would only be the impression of some mostly-stranger on the internet and i know that. do you want to argue about it, or convince me? it seems pointless. do you see me as "leading you on" right now? because i think my feeling toward you is sort of obvious. i tried to maintain a tone of neutrality in my last post while not sacrficing my honest reaction to what you said. and i'm going to continue not being fake to placate you. i'm sorry if i'm wrong in my impressions but i can only see what i see and not what i'm told is there. i tried giving you the benefit of the doubt by responding to you and keeping communication open in the first place. looks like its not going to work.

maybe i should stop posting in the lounge, i kill the buzz lol. sorry to the rest of you.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    If you're a generic robot, you won't have to do either. Your tears might also have some sort of radiation via unusual laser-byproducts.

And if you're an EII modeled robot, you'll, apparently, do whichever would be most beneficial to creating a harmonious relationship
    Not necessarily. Currently I'm facing a situation where I'm strongly tempted to not put a lot of effort into making things smooth. It's a situation where I've apparently already caused a lot of damage (albeit, in my defense, unaware and unintentional) and now I have to do a lot of being nice to make any repairs possible. I really did get called cold and computer-like.

I'm tempted to blame it on Fe/Ti vs Fi/Te, but that might be too easy. *sigh*

BTW, laghlagh, go right ahead in challenging Ryu; he needs it. You even have my permission to slap him a few times. If he's going to say certain things in certain ways he needs to realize their effects. Laziness in communication causes misunderstandings. Perception is reality. Etc, etc.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aye, don't feel like you have to leave just because your contributions aren't always happy or pleasant. I still want you around, and I don't appear to be alone in that.
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i like the color brown.

if delta had team colors, i would nominate green and brown.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hey Ryu go make some brownies to get your mind off things, atmosphere is a bit thick for you, in other words you're in deep shit.

Drop it or face the consequences.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe i should stop posting in the lounge, i kill the buzz lol. sorry to the rest of you.

Don't do that. It was a very good topic of conversation. I don't think it was a buzz kill at all, I just wanted to address the way you're perceiving me.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alright, it was ambiguous, but what you said about it being most common for delta NFs who are in an "in-between" relationship situation made me think that was the aspect on your mind.
    What I meant by in between was in between the two other points I mentioned, which were knowing someone very well, and not knowing someone at all. Consider it a matter of relational closeness.

The NF I was talking about said that she gets in that same annoying situation most frequently when the people she's interacting with are in that "in between" state - again, in between being a sort of faceless nameless person that you barely acknowledge and someone you know really well. The people you know really well you can be totally honest with, and the people that you barely interact with, it doesn't matter. But the people who are "in between" are more likely to not really know or perhaps care enough to understand when that 'image' of the NF isn't real, so that's when the biggest sense of annoyance and guilty feeling comes about.

It had nothing to do with sexuality or partners in regard to intimate or sexual relations.

i don't know you in person and i've been told by others that i don't understand you the way they do because i haven't talked to you enough -- all of which is true and its probably fair to say any impressions i have of you could be way off. so i could tell you whether or not i have an impression of you having some fetish for the virgin archetype but it would only be the impression of some mostly-stranger on the internet and i know that. do you want to argue about it, or convince me?
    I don't want to argue with you, and I'd like you to be convinced that what I said above is the real account of what I said before. I don't know if you will or won't, and I'm not interested in going any further per se.

I really wanted to attempt to clarify things because I think it's important and significant. And whatever assumption you had about me implying sexual things was very off base, and I don't want that to interfere with something actually substantial.

it seems pointless. do you see me as "leading you on" right now?
    I don't even know what you mean by leading me on.
    If you mean enticing me into some sort of argument, no.
    If you mean leading me on in a 'flirtatious' sense, definitely not.

I reacted the way i did about your 'personal' attitudes towards me because I think they're lame and superficial. But I wrote the above because regardless of what you feel or perceive, that is what I was talking about, when speaking of "in between".

because i think my feeling toward you is sort of obvious. i tried to maintain a tone of neutrality in my last post while not sacrficing my honest reaction to what you said.
    I don't think you did a very good job... because you took a legitimate comment about your situation and read into it a lot of garbage, which apparently has to do with your personal opinion of me.

If you don't want to separate your feelings from actually discussing things, that's fine. ....
    and i'm going to continue not being fake to placate you.
    I don't really understand how it has to do with placating me or not. You assumed I was talking about sexual things and furthering negative stereotypes about delta NFs (right?). In reality I wasn't.

i'm sorry if i'm wrong in my impressions but i can only see what i see and not what i'm told is there. i tried giving you the benefit of the doubt by responding to you and keeping communication open in the first place. looks like its not going to work.
    You tried to give me the benefit of the doubt by assuming my motivation for posting was... petty stereotypes? Or that I was inferring sexuality when there was none? Or that you were leading me on?

I don't really buy that.

I also don't see you as particularly interested in what my opinions about things are because you've spent more time accusing me than asking me questions about what I believe.

I don't see communication as being closed as opposed to open - I don't even think there's been much communication going on, just... assumptions. What has happened is I've decided to address your chauvinistic characterization of me. I don't know what you'll do or if it will change anything. It probably won't unless there is an actual dialogue between us at some point.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

delta team colors, i nominate green and brown.
    I second that nomination.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not necessarily. Currently I'm facing a situation where I'm strongly tempted to not put a lot of effort into making things smooth. It's a situation where I've apparently already caused a lot of damage (albeit, in my defense, unaware and unintentional) and now I have to do a lot of being nice to make any repairs possible. I really did get called cold and computer-like.
    What's the situation? And how did you cause damage?

Hm. I've called you computer like myself. You have very certain ways that you like information to be presented and inputted, and it's basically "does not compute" if it's not that. I've also called you sweet, I think.

I'm tempted to blame it on Fe/Ti vs Fi/Te, but that might be too easy. *sigh*
    The question arises again - do you 'modify' yourself with your understanding of socionics, or not?

BTW, laghlagh, go right ahead in challenging Ryu; he needs it. You even have my permission to slap him a few times. If he's going to say certain things in certain ways he needs to realize their effects. Laziness in communication causes misunderstandings. Perception is reality. Etc, etc.
    Challenge me? Do mean sift ?

Laziness in communication goes both ways - if you are the receiver and only read part of the message, then you're being lazy, too. Especially if you feel it's your call to pass judgment or persecute others (...). And even more so if you want to try to understand something.

Still...Even if that's 'beneficial' for me, from your perspective, I'm not sure if it would be beneficial to her. I'm not sure it's the best to encourage someone's wrong opinions about someone else.

(And if you're so into perception is reality, why don't you 'appear' more lively and unrobotic to the people you mention at the start of the post? You surely don't want them to actually understand you for who you are, regardless of their socionics values or perceptions of you, right?)

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BUZZ KILLER BUZZ KILLER!!!!111

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Hey Ryu go make some brownies to get your mind off things, atmosphere is a bit thick for you, in other words you're in deep shit.

Drop it or face the consequences.
    How is he in deep shit? It sounds like you're threatening him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's not particularly "Ne+Fi"

Nor that Si+Te
    I was having trouble describing them with adjectives. Describing them as Ne/Fi and Si/Te is easier, I guess I should have cut the adjectives out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu
    Still, at least at this point on my life, it's nice to see that there are some who embrace a range of experiences and also dealing with them. I advocate not cutting yourself off, and not running away from the apparent complexity of ....... of what the human mind does as it reduces reality to a more digestible form.
    Besides annoying generalizations, that's the other reason why I haven't been on these forums in so long. I don't want to be too reliant on personality theory for discovering what myself and others are like. Hmmm, I think I'll add that to my signature.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    How is he in deep shit? It sounds like you're threatening him.
    thanks.
    but don't worry about it. I don't have an issue with what he said in that... absurd makes a variety of remarks like that, usually I see them as kind of insubstantial. I also understand the inclination to want to 'defend' someone from 'a jerk'.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the situation? And how did you cause damage?
    It's a little too complex to do justice in a few sentences, but I guess one way of portraying it is that someone in a group I'm part of gets enthusiastic about ideas, I often feel less than confident in those ideas, I point out problems with the methods and goals, and now I'm a giant ogre and the personal enemy of said enthusiast. (If I'm so terrible, I'd like to see them interact with an ISTp...)

Hm. I've called you computer like myself. You have very certain ways that you like information to be presented and inputted, and it's basically "does not compute" if it's not that. I've also called you sweet, I think.
    Eh, that wasn't quite their meaning. They meant computer-like as in non-emotive.

Thanks for the "compliment" though...

And you've pretty much stopped calling me sweet, haven't you?

The question arises again - do you 'modify' yourself with your understanding of socionics, or not?
    That's too simplistic. Socionics is simply one way to look at a situation. I use a variety of factors to determine how I act or "modify" myself if needed. Occasionally socionics can offer hints as to how someone might best receive information, so that can be helpful. But it's not an end-all-be-all, as you should know.

Challenge me? Do mean sift ?
    Sift?

Laziness in communication goes both ways - if you are the receiver and only read part of the message, then you're being lazy, too. Especially if you feel it's your call to pass judgment or persecute others (...). And even more so if you want to try to understand something.
    Fine, it's one thing to point out that your listeners/readers/receivers need to stay on their game. It's another to point it out while not making likewise efforts of your own.

Still...Even if that's 'beneficial' for me, from your perspective, I'm not sure if it would be beneficial to her. I'm not sure it's the best to encourage someone's wrong opinions about someone else.
    What in the world are you talking about? Encouraging people's wrong opinions? Where do you get me saying that? It's the opposite - stop encouraging wrong opinions by being selfishly vague. We've covered this already.

(And if you're so into perception is reality, why don't you 'appear' more lively and unrobotic to the people you mention at the start of the post? You surely don't want them to actually understand you for who you are, regardless of their socionics values or perceptions of you, right?)
    "Perception is reality" is a... concept, a platitude, a phrase that provides alternate understanding. It addresses the responsibility of the communicator. It's not something I "live by." There's a balance to be had between that concept and "pure authenticity", which I am figuring out in the situation you mention.

My purpose in bringing it up is that you seem to be lost in the other end of the spectrum, where you're casting all responsibility for understanding upon the receiver of your communication.

I don't think there's an easy answer. But I do think that a lack of balance is harmful, as I'm seeing in my own situation.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Random Ness View Post
    Besides annoying generalizations, that's the other reason why I haven't been on these forums in so long. I don't want to be too reliant on personality theory for discovering what myself and others are like. Hmmm, I think I'll add that to my signature.
    Yeah.

I think socionics is a great tool for understanding some basic elements of the human psyche, and it has IME been useful for plotting how various tendencies or mechanisms develop throughout different levels of a person's inner workings.

But I don't see it as an authoritative map of how a human operates... nor do I think it was ever intended to be such. It has it's zone of jurisdiction, but it is limited to that zone.

Furthermore, even after studying it for a long time, and even accepting its strengths and weaknesses, it's basically up to you to keep growing as a person. To that end, socionics can sort of map out a starting point for development, but where you go and what you settle with is your call.

That's why there are charismatic Fe polr types, and logically sound weak-Ti types. In reality you can develop skills based on need or desire or motivation. I mean, even in my own life, I could have potentially sucked at "N" things, forever. Nobody around me was strong in N for a very long time. But once I had more contact with such, I 'learned' more about "N" things... but it was still my choice to want to get better. And my choice to not use that person good at N things as a crutch. (HUGE generalizations).

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

What I meant by in between was in between the two other points I mentioned, which were knowing someone very well, and not knowing someone at all. Consider it a matter of relational closeness.

The NF I was talking about said that she gets in that same annoying situation most frequently when the people she's interacting with are in that "in between" state - again, in between being a sort of faceless nameless person that you barely acknowledge and someone you know really well. The people you know really well you can be totally honest with, and the people that you barely interact with, it doesn't matter. But the people who are "in between" are more likely to not really know or perhaps care enough to understand when that 'image' of the NF isn't real, so that's when the biggest sense of annoyance and guilty feeling comes about.

It had nothing to do with sexuality or partners in regard to intimate or sexual relations.
    okay. makes sense. reading it again, i think i jumped to conclusions about what you were getting at. sorry.

I don't want to argue with you, and I'd like you to be convinced that what I said above is the real account of what I said before. I don't know if you will or won't, and I'm not interested in going any further per se.

I really wanted to attempt to clarify things because I think it's important and significant. And whatever assumption you had about me implying sexual things was very off base, and I don't want that to interfere with something actually substantial.
    i don't want to argue either, its tiring because i don't see it getting anywhere. i know what you say about yourself and i know what impression i've gotten from reading your posts, and i'm working on reconciling the two. yeah, i have an impression thats going to influence how i read what you say, and i don't think i can help that.

ftr, when i said i wondered if you were conflating the two it was my way of looking for you to clarify, not an accusation (though i can see how it could have come across that way). i actually really was trying.

I don't even know what you mean by leading me on.
    If you mean enticing me into some sort of argument, no.
    If you mean leading me on in a 'flirtatious' sense, definitely not.
    i meant giving you the wrong idea about my attitude toward you. more specifically, giving you the wrong impression that i was feeling positively toward you.

I also don't see you as particularly interested in what my opinions about things are because you've spent more time accusing me than asking me questions about what I believe.
    do you need to ask me if i prefer to type in smaller case? do you need to ask me if i hate the color green? some things just come across. this is what you fail to understand.

1. you make a thread talking about how delta NFs are prisses who cringe from swear words and how you like this.
    2. you regularly joke about delta NFs baking for you.
    3. you have said or implied on several occassions that delta NFs are vulnerable and need to be taken care of.
    4. you make a thread talking about how delta NFs appreciate "taskmasters."

(i am purposefully leaving out specific details from much older threads because maybe its not fair to bring them up, though they of course factor into the overall picture of your post history and thus your image on the forum.)

5. you say you have no stereotyped image of delta NFs.

WHAT. WHAT.

I don't see communication as being closed as opposed to open - I don't even think there's been much communication going on, just... assumptions. What has happened is I've decided to address your chauvinistic characterization of me. I don't know what you'll do or if it will change anything. It probably won't unless there is an actual dialogue between us at some point.
    what would an actual dialogue consist of?

me: "are you mysoginistic?"
    you: "no."
    me: "ok, i believe you."

??? i'm not sure what you would need to be satisfied but the above isn't going to happen because of the list there. sorry.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fine, it's one thing to point out that your listeners/readers/receivers need to stay on their game. It's another to point it out while not making likewise efforts of your own.
    I haven't made any efforts?

What in the world are you talking about? Encouraging people's wrong opinions? Where do you get me saying that? It's the opposite - stop encouraging wrong opinions by being selfishly vague. We've covered this already.
    You're telling her to challenge me because my wording is 'wrong'. You're advocating her 'slapping me' because apparently I deserve it. Why are you only focusing on that instead of things she can do to understand me? Do you think she's justified in that such is how I see delta NFs? Is that how you think I see delta NFs?

She thinks poorly of me. If you tell her to only SLAP RYU, that's not going to bring her understanding, just justify her feelings based off of her impressions.

So I don't see your advise as ultimately being useful. It only "punishes me", and does nothing for her. (I'm not asking you to "punish" her, it just seems like you're not bringing any benefit to her. If you're encouraging her to not 'placate me', ok, but I'm not asking her to placate me. If she wants to discuss something or ask me a question, then go right ahead).

"Perception is reality" is a... concept, a platitude, a phrase that provides alternate understanding. It addresses the responsibility of the communicator. It's not something I "live by." There's a balance to be had between that concept and "pure authenticity", which I am figuring out in the situation you mention.

My purpose in bringing it up is that you seem to be lost in the other end of the spectrum, where you're casting all responsibility for understanding upon the receiver of your communication.
    No, that's NOT what I'm doing. Why do you see it that way?

I've stated being open to discussion about anything, or any post I've written, in the past. I've even asked you what you'd like me to address and you said something to the effect of - no I don't want you to go around editing all your past posts. To this date, I have received no PMs or to my knowledge other forms of communication from anyone asking me to explain my posts. ETA - that is, PMs/questions/etc regarding "my attitude towards delta NFs"

I've discussed the above post, and even sought clarity in its meaning - I did that today. I've taken steps. But you don't seem to want to acknowledge them, just that I 'deserve' her feeling the way she does about me.

I don't think that's constructive. And I'm not saying it just because we're talking about me.

FURTHERMORE, in the original post of this situation, nothing I said was worded wrongly or dangerously. Do you disagree with that? Was I being 'vaguely selfish' there?

I don't think there's an easy answer. But I do think that a lack of balance is harmful, as I'm seeing in my own situation.
    If you think you're being balanced, then, fine.
    I disagree.
    Last edited by UDP; 04-14-2011 at 12:36 AM. Reason: ETA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. I think socionics is a great tool for... [etc etc etc] ...N things as a crutch. (HUGE generalizations).
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a little too complex to do justice in a few sentences, but I guess one way of portraying it is that someone in a group I'm part of gets enthusiastic about ideas, I often feel less than confident in those ideas, I point out problems with the methods and goals, and now I'm a giant ogre and the personal enemy of said enthusiast. (If I'm so terrible, I'd like to see them interact with an ISTp...)
    Yeah. Which is why I referenced you in that ILI / EII thread that someone made recently.

Eh, that wasn't quite their meaning. They meant computer-like as in non-emotive.

Thanks for the "compliment" though...

And you've pretty much stopped calling me sweet, haven't you?
    I probably have spoken more highly of you to other people than you about me. You seem to have no trouble criticizing me here on the forum or saying that you don't like things I do, so I don't know why you have issue with me doing it.

I generally think you're sweet and good natured, and even have good intentions.

I'm not trying to slight you here, either... but I don't expect you to believe me.

That's too simplistic. Socionics is simply one way to look at a situation. I use a variety of factors to determine how I act or "modify" myself if needed. Occasionally socionics can offer hints as to how someone might best receive information, so that can be helpful. But it's not an end-all-be-all, as you should know.
    Obviously.

But are you going to augment yourself knowing that the other person probably won't understand your normal self? That comes up sometimes. It's a real situation that happens, if you "know stuff" about socionics.

Sift?
    It was actually a biblical reference. I'll talk to you about it elsewhere if you want to.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okay. makes sense. reading it again, i think i jumped to conclusions about what you were getting at. sorry.

i don't want to argue either, its tiring because i don't see it getting anywhere. i know what you say about yourself and i know what impression i've gotten from reading your posts, and i'm working on reconciling the two. yeah, i have an impression thats going to influence how i read what you say, and i don't think i can help that.

ftr, when i said i wondered if you were conflating the two it was my way of looking for you to clarify, not an accusation (though i can see how it could have come across that way). i actually really was trying.
    Ok

i meant giving you the wrong idea about my attitude toward you. more specifically, giving you the wrong impression that i was feeling positively toward you.
    Yeah. I don't take your remarks as you feeling positively towards me.

do you need to ask me if i prefer to type in smaller case? do you need to ask me if i hate the color green? some things just come across. this is what you fail to understand.
    Fail to understand? more like, disagree with as being substantial.

If I want to know if you hate the color green, I ought to ask you, don't you think? If I see you not wearing it or painting over green with another color, or talking to someone about how green isn't the right choice for that room, what does that tell me? That you hate green? Am I then supposed to believe your entire persona and all your comments about color are based off of your hate for green?

I really see no reason to apologize for you being shallow in the process of your judgment. Yes, as Minde will argue, I have not been perfect. But if you want to understand something, especially if you want to act with conviction and whatever else, then put in the work.

"Some things just come across" to me is saying "well, because I cherry pick evidence or only want to look at the most readily available/most striking thing, then it's ok for me to have strong opinions". And I don't buy that.

1. you make a thread talking about how delta NFs are prisses who cringe from swear words and how you like this.
    2. you regularly joke about delta NFs baking for you.
    3. you have said or implied on several occassions that delta NFs are vulnerable and need to be taken care of.
    4. you make a thread talking about how delta NFs appreciate "taskmasters."
    1. Show me the thread (I don't deny it, I just want to see what you're seeing. I don't remember). Also, why not bother posting in that thread and bringing up something there?

2. So? I have made jokes about a variety of types. I make jokes about myself. So do other people.

3. Ok? So that means what, I go around coddle delta NFs? I don't argue with them? I go out of my way to protect them? Do I go out of my way to not offend "delicate" NFs?

4. Seriously? If you weren't so biased maybe you'd be able to see something substantial in that thread. But I don't think many people did, so, whatever. It could have been worded better on my part, sure.

(i am purposefully leaving out specific details from much older threads because maybe its not fair to bring them up, though they of course factor into the overall picture of your post history and thus your image on the forum.)
    It's not fair to bring them up?
    Oh, take Minde's advice here, and "slap me", go ahead.

I'm curious as to how you've become such an extensive scholar of my writings. Whatever made you look so deeply back into my history?

5. you say you have no stereotyped image of delta NFs.

WHAT. WHAT.
    Well, I admit, while you've presented a solid case, it is not completely convincing.

what would an actual dialogue consist of?

me: "are you mysoginistic?"
    you: "no."
    me: "ok, i believe you."

??? i'm not sure what you would need to be satisfied but the above isn't going to happen because of the list there. sorry.
    Ah. "The List". Well, perhaps the situation is irreconcilable, then. You don't have a desire to see anything more in me than that. You're call.

... Have you realized that you're basically doing to me what you hate me ("apparently") doing to delta NFs, and apparently, women?

I doubt you particularly care, though. You're content with your understanding.

And so now I'm a misogynist as well as having a passion for belittling delta NFs? Or is it that I'm simply a misogynist, period?

I'm wondering "Why do you think I'm resisting your assertions about me?" Because I.... care about my image and don't want to 'look bad', but deep down I'm a misogynist?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kassie, the other day I thought you might have been IEE, but have you considered valuing? In some descriptions, I've read that EII doesn't need many "signs" to be assured on the status of a relationship exactly. I was appalled when I read it tbh.. but the thing is, you don't seem to be that way yourself. For example, you want to air things out with Ryu.. but you're not going to get anywhere. I'll tell you that much.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm finally beginning to comprehend that while some of the things I can't stand in other people are type-related, not all of them are. Anyone can be egotistical, cruel, or hardheaded (to name a few things). And this has no relation to the above conversation.
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.