Hybrid View

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bones

I caught part of an episode at a friend's house the other day. Does anyone here watch this? I'm interested in the types of Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan and Seeley Joseph Booth.

I know Krig the Viking has typed them as Alpha rationals and he's probably seen much more of the show than I have, but different typings came to my mind after seeing what I did of the show. I'm open to other ideas though. Does anyone else here watch it.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched a couple of seasons before I decided that it was just too difficult to eat pizza and watch the show at the same time.

...you know, because of all the decaying corpses and stuff.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've typed Emily Deschanel as Ti-ENTp, and that doesn't seem unreasonable for the character. David Boreanaz is some alpha.

JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't seen much of the show, but I did download the first season and watch the first couple of episodes today. I was thinking LIE and EII for the characters.
    SEE

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why EII > LII for Bones?
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    Why EII > LII for Bones?
    I think she's typing Bones as LIE.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen a few more episodes now and I'm fairly certain that they're LIE and ESI. However, the guy who plays Booth is not a Se ego type, which threw me off initially.

Bones is a pretty good example of the EJ temperament. She's always looking to make things happen. She's impatient and often feels like she has to do something in a situation. Her communication style is Ti sometimes when she's talking about work as being a scientist requires use of Ti, but overall it's more Te than Te. The way she relates to people is more Te. There are a lot of times when she clarifies what's being communicated with a concise summary/statement in typical Te manner ("Basically, *insert Te aspect of the situation here*.") She's more focused on the rational external dynamics of a situation than anything. She's demonstrated Ti ignoring in a conversation with Booth about following rules (and in her actions as related to rules). He asked her to respect the rules. She said that she would not, but that she respects him enough to follow the rules for his sake. Basically, she was saying that she'll respect his Fi (his needs and wishes) but not Ti. Also, she's clearly the logical type (and he the ethical type) in the relationship in that he criticizes her insensitivity in dealing with people, and she readily takes his advice. If she was SEE, she wouldn't need it (especially from an ILI!), and if she was ILI, she wouldn't be in a position to utilize that information properly (because she's have a Fe PoLR instead of a Fe role). She's also demonstrated a Fi-valuing focus regarding relationships. I saw an episode (it was the first one I saw and I was partially paying attention to it) where she thought one of her colleague's partners was cheating on him and spent the entire episodes getting advice from people, all of whom told her not to tell him... but she did anyways because she felt like she had to DO something and because she values Fi. An Alpha NT would not have been so worried about the situation. They would have just left it alone. Also, her Se hidden agenda is visible in her use of guns and martial arts (or whatever it is she does when she kicks people's asses). Booth plays the typical dual/illusionary partners in Se/Ni creative relationships by stroking her hidden agenda when he warns people that they shouldn't mess with her and then says "I warned you" when they do anyways and she throws them. An ILI wouldn't act that way because Se is their 5th function. (The 4th and the 5th are the weakest.)

Booth is an excellent example of the IJ temperament. He's very controlled, focused, and self-possessed. He's always quite clear about his values and priorities. He's also quite clearly ethical: He's very focused on the internal rational aspects of situations, the emotional and relationship aspects of it. Bones has commented that he has a subconscious knack for seeing subtle changes in people's body language (Fe) and that she'll give his "gut feeling" more consideration/respect in the future. This is also way for her to stroke his hidden agenda (Ni) as duals/illusionary partners do. Booth's occasional crankiness (often unexplained, lol!) is uncanny in its similarity to that of a couple of ESI's I know irl. Even his response when someone points out that he's cranky is the same. Interestingly, when he gets like that, Bones and Zack let him get away with it. They just sit back and respect his Se, Fi, and Fe and let him have his way. Also, his referral to intellectuals as "squints" and his annoyance with them is a typical SJ response when the SJ isn't an intellectual.

Hodgins is most like an ILE (little to no focus on Te, much focus on his Ne conspiracy theories, Alpha values/attitudes).

Zack is most like an ILI, though he does act a bit like other INxx types on occasion.

Angela... I guess IEE fits best. SEE could also work. She's a bit pushy/nosy about relationships for an IEE. She definitely focuses on relationships though.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a little confused about how they chose the actress to play Angela. Everything about her appearance is, at best, plain (except her ass, which looks great).

I don't particularly like any of the actors, now that I think about it. Zack seems more effeminate than he should, the guy who plays Hodgins is too Se, the guy who plays Booth is too Ne, and the woman that plays Bones has a voice that's too high pitched and throaty.

Actually, I do like the actor that plays the museum director is cast well.
    Last edited by Joy; 11-19-2009 at 07:03 AM.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, Bones DOES act much more receptive to Fi than to Fe. When it comes to Fe she seems to think that there's no reason to give it much consideration. She only tries to do it for Booth when he tells her to because of her relationship with him and because she's observed that it helps her be more effective. If someone she didn't have a relationship tried to tell her to pay more attention to Fe or help her with Fe, she wouldn't put up with it.

Another thing to note is that new people have a really hard time being accepted into the group. Alpha is the most accepting quadra. Irl, Alphas wouldn't alienate new people like they do. They would be more welcoming, or at least friendly.

And from what I've seen, she does seem to value Se more than Ne. She's really heavy on Ti, but she's a scientist, which could explain it. She's also sort of... well, broken. While I very strongly identify with her interpersonal problems resulting from poor awareness of Fe and Fi (especially Fe), she really is an extreme case. Most people are more adaptable in their areas of weakness than she is.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I don't like is the way they treat Sweets.
    SEE

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay! A convert to the Bones-is-Fi-valuing theory.

Anyway, it is annoying how they treat sweets like he's five. My theory is that he's alpha. But they do treat him nicer eventually...
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty much stuck on generic NT for her right now. And generic SF for Booth. There's contradictory evidence. And they changed from season 1 to season 2 to season 4.

I was thinking Sweets is IEE.
    SEE

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is the classic "psychologist" type, and I do totally see where he shows both Ne and Fi (Fi especially in the episode where Angela is mad at Cam for sleeping with her ex-husband). But, the contradictory evidence rears its head again, because in the episode where he gets a second chance for the intern girl that annoys Bones so much who he happens to also be dating, Sweets is, to my mind, clearly portrayed as a logical type and the intern/girlfriend as an incredibly annoying Fe-valuer. I wish I could remember what episode it was, because that episode was a big part of me settling on ILI for Bones and alpha NT for Sweets. The problem is that the episodes are written by many different writers, and the original writers were too stupid to consult socionics to find the correct type for their characters and force all subsequent writers to keep the types of the characters consistent. This would have fixed everything.

I can agree with generic NT and generic SF for Bones/Booth. I tend to like ILI Bones better, but there are aspects of her personality in various episodes that don't fit with this.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LSI for Brennan. ESE for Booth.
    SEE

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised I didn't post in this thread.
    I think TiSe is a pretty darned good fit for her.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bones LxI & Booth ESE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard a case for ILI and SEE for Bones and Booth, and I'm not super opposed. I think the actors who play them are not those types though, and that throws me off because I do see some Se in Bones, but I don't see a ton in Booth.
    SEE