Quote Originally Posted by energystar View Post
I will give it a go - this is how I see logic and the lack of it.

I have this friend who can't stay in a hotelroom above the third floor. The reason for this is that she is afraid there might be a fire, and in that case the elevators won't be safe to use and thus she is more likely to die in an eventual fire.

She claims that this is a logical decision whereas I think it is not.
My argument to her is that statistically there is much less chance of her encountering a hotel fire than say a fatal car crash or plane crash. And since she drives a car to and from work every single day and take flights several times a year she isn't being logcial, because the logical thing to do would be to first eliminate the things most likely to kill you.

Even after me pointing this out she still argues that her choice is logical because a fire will lead to malfunctioning elevators - and I am amazed that she cannot recognize that she is simply rationalizing her long standing fear of fires.

btw:
I don't think being logical translates into always doing the logical thing, but I do think it means that you recognize the logical choice even if you decide to give in to other urges.
Her reasoning is logical in that it makes sense and it is true. She just isn't being realistic.