Thread: School of Associative Socionics: Dynamic music

Hybrid View

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tchaikovsky and Beethoven symphonies, film soundtracks that offer drastic change within a scene? My dad says he doesn't understand why it gets loud all of a sudden. I tell him it is called dynamics. That's what makes it interesting. Dynamics were the very first thing I noticed being used by many musical geniuses, which attracted me to my first round of heavy listening.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 polikujm
    It is a shame I do not know classical music well enough but there are some people on the Russian forum who loves it. I will keep an eye and share their thoughts on a classical music here.
    I wonder, if you could post here a couple of examples of music you are talking about?
    School of Associative socionics: http://socionics4you.com/

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, I like your observations a lot. I'm wondering what else more could be said, and how these two types of music could compare, tastes of dynamic types compared to static types.

For some reason when I first got into liking chamber music a lot, this arrangement of music by Koji Kondo stuck out as "genius" because notice at 1:00 how the beat in the strings gets louder and then softer, and that complements the melody and harmony, giving life you could say. It is very catchy and simple, and now that I look back it's strange that I loved that so much compared to what I like now, but I still like it a lot.

I've always asked the question, is it possible for a car to all of a sudden be going 70 miles an hour when it was once stopped, or is the time in between that really time speeding up to that point? So basically I always try to see things develop even when it's hard to notice, and I tell people, "just wait, it's getting there" and I know they don't enjoy the journey as much as I do. I always have to tell people to wait and be patient, in every day things. Maybe I'm too slow sometimes, but I think others are too rash and they're missing out on a lot. Then again I'm IP.

The following movement is one of my absolute favorites of Beethoven and shows great dynamicism. At first it gets loud then soft then loud in a pattern, but eventually it starts off soft again and builds and dies, builds and dies, and the whole piece is like a journey as if you were watching a movie, or a multitude of developments happening one after another. I also consider his gradual harmonic developments as inventive, if not universally classical.

Tell me, is this more dynamic music or static? This is one of my favorites of John Williams. I do appreciate repeating melodies, especially if they are good, but I basically like them because they help develop the piece of music, and I like when they are used later in a different fashion. I wonder if static and dynamic types view melodies differently.

I like the music just as much as I like where the music is placed. Time and place is everything.

I love Debussy. I think impressionism in general is very dynamic music.

I think dynamicism can be in harmony, as well as anything really. I've never liked too odd chord changes, but if it develops nicely to that point in harmony and on occasion turns to some bold key, it sounds so sweet. The notes are really all about timing and progression.

Lastly, here's a dynamic piece in harmony and volume of which I like a lot, and even when there is repetition in the melody there is dynamicism. In this case it's all about contrast. One side moves, the other side stays the same, like how legs move in footsteps.

I think many static listeners view dynamicism as a distraction. My dad for instance doesn't know what to think when it gets loud and soft, he just sees the difference in volume, but he doesn't consider everything together as developing.

I'll finish off by saying that most of all music I like is by your definition dynamic.
    Last edited by 717495; 10-22-2009 at 12:36 PM.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 policujm

You told me amazing things about yourself and your perception of music. The whole idea of music typology is in fact very basic and I see it in general terms. However it gets very exciting in the process of exploration while we exchange ideas and feelings. Like the whole new world is opening and this is all fun. I would never be able to develop theory just on my own.
    I think the classical music or rock or any genre of music has got it's own special characteristics which you need to know in order to be right. It would be much better if it would be the discussion between the two experts of classical music. I do agree with everything you said about the dynamicism of classical music. The composition you are asking me I can only judge by the general feeling and I could mistake. When I listen to the music in order to assess my own feelings about it I imagine pictures in my head. Then I try to think about the pictures if they were static or dynamic. On the whole, the classical music for me is more complicated and dynamic than static pop. lol From your third piece of music I had a very positive feeling, some sort of stability. It was movement but not fast, rather slow as if you sit in a space ship and looks at the sky. Or you are walking down the road and see people working in the fields and building their life. sometimes you pay attention to a litle detail and this is where music slows down because you need time to look atit but then again you are back into the flow, which picks you up with a stronger feeling of involvement. I could say it looks like static but I am not sure to what TPE or to what opposition I would relate this music. It does seem a rational music to me.
    As regards you friend's type I hope when we get to understand better music from the point of theory and practice then we may answer those questions. I will open more threads so that we could differentiate better the TPE and the oppositions. Later we shall move to the Jungs dichotomies and so on....

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some time ego one forum member asked me if this piece of music is dynamic. At that time I was not sure but now I think yes. What do you think (to all)? Her question was about the fact that the rhythm tact (speed ?) do not change but the melody changes. I personally do not see the change of melody as such but I do think it is a dynamic music because it is moving very fast but not loud. It could be intuitive introverted dynamic?

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it introverted dynamics Superid-Ego?
    Spanish Guitar?

Compare to the extraverted dynamics Ego-Superid. Very powerful dramatic music, obvious strong contrasts:

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo - 12/24"

And less dramaitc but cheerful extraverted oppositon Ego-Superid. Here we do not see strong contrasts but feel the flexibility in movement of music and even obvious irrationality at some point. I imagine how the turning of the snow storm like a whirlpool:

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - "Wizards in Winter"

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, thanks for the response. I read it, I don't know what to say.

Which specific category would you place this in? (starting at 0:24)

That transiberian Orchestra theme reminds me of the theme song from the Goonies, a little bit.

Last edited by 717495; 10-22-2009 at 01:01 PM.