11 57.89%

Thread: Cynicism vs Idealism

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic View Post
    I think generally, idealism is useless to the extent that it is purely idealistic, and cynicism is useless to the extent that it is purely cynical. What is necessary I believe is the reconciliation between the unrealistic aspects of idealism and the bitterness and pessimistic sentiments that often accompany cynicism. In the wake of an effective reconciliation I feel, "ideally," that you should find yourself in the place of the closest thing to realism.
    love this lol. it's all relative, baby.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    662 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Would this for example be a form of realistic optimism, in your opinion... what is your impression of this idea?
    Yeah. I guess it's something very small, because you kinda become something big through one small detail to the next. It's never in one grand gesture all at once, even though the mind wants it to be that. So I guess it's looking at the task before you, what you have to today, to work on where you want to be, and feeling confident you can do something today.

That's why I hated those exercises in school 'what do you want to be in 10 years? Where do you want to go?' It's such a dumb question.

Also I liked your example of the athlete with the 'right spirit' but just isn't there yet mechanically.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    Yeah. I guess it's something very small, because you kinda become something big through one small detail to the next. It's never in one grand gesture all at once, even though the mind wants it to be that. So I guess it's looking at the task before you, what you have to today, to work on where you want to be, and feeling confident you can do something today.

That's why I hated those exercises in school 'what do you want to be in 10 years? Where do you want to go?' It's such a dumb question.

Also I liked your example of the athlete with the 'right spirit' but just isn't there yet mechanically.
    Of course, it doesn't occur overnight....

I guess what I was thinking is its sometimes hard to differentiate between a true arrogant ass and a person who is merely confident because they are "high spirited". I mean no doubt its all fairly intuitive, and probably most NF's can identify it quite well, but I think its easy for other people to confuse and even NF's are ocasionally wrong about their evaluations of people. What is it that seperates the arrogance (negative) from confidence (positive)?

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    662 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

simple lol true confidence is just purely self-directive , there's technically no competition when you have improved yourself to the point where other people don't really matter anyway you know? then once you get everything you want, you can be an inspiration figure to others.

arrogance is haughty and 'show-off' to others, kinda a 'nana i can do it and you can't', which causes retaliation and honest competition to start, something you don't want if you actually want to win. (you want to be fake nice to people like esther hicks)

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    662 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

NF isn't some mystical accurate understanding to human relationships. It's frequently erroneous. It's more of a better lens human behavior and nature as a *whole* then individualistically.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    NF isn't some mystical accurate understanding to human relationships. It's frequently erroneous. It's more of a better lens human behavior and nature as a *whole* then individualistically.
    Didn't mean to make it sound mystical, I am just saying that they are more empathic and have an easier time of introjecting the emotional state of another person in themselves, giving them an ability to discern a person's motive as self-serving or altrustic. Other types may look for a logical soundness or sensibility, which can be misleading if a person is capable of smooth talking and rationalizing their behavior.

Creepy-male

Gul: LOVE FOREVER LOVE IS FREE
    Gul: LET'S TURN TOGETHER YOU AND ME
    Darlia: love usually costs me 90 per 30 mins.

Guild chat demonstrating cynicism versus idealism. True story.