Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

8 27.59%
  • no

14 48.28%
  • depends (please tell)

7 24.14%

Thread: can you choose with whom, when/how/where/why to fall in love?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default can you choose with whom, when/how/where/why to fall in love?

According to some sources I read, you can't if you're NT. It either happens or doesn't happen completely unconsciously.

discuss.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought no one really could... .. .

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I thought no one really could... .. .
    That's what I used to think until I read that article.

Creepy-male

I think what type influences is what you ultimately decide to do with those feelings. You can't control them, though, regardless of type.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    That's what I used to think until I read that article.
    Where is this article?

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    I'm pretty sure I can... I've done this before, actually, and I'm afraid to do it again, because it's dangerous when not reciprocated, and it isn't so easy to undo.

In the Reinin dichotomies, Constructivist/Emotivist seems to relate to this.

EDIT: I do invoke lesser emotions, such as sadness or the warm fuzzies, in myself every so often for fun.
    So are emotivists more likely to 'choose' whom to fall in love with? Or is it the other way around?

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post
    I think what type influences is what you ultimately decide to do with those feelings. You can't control them, though, regardless of type.
    Agree 100%

I can't control who I fall in love with or the circumstances when it occurs. I can't will myself to love someone I don't love. Either I have the feelings of love or I don't.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    I can't control who I fall in love with or the circumstances when it occurs. I can't will myself to love someone I don't love. Either I have the feelings of love or I don't.
    You're an LII! You're not meant to think dangerous things like that! Feelings are bad and must be controlled!

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    So are emotivists more likely to 'choose' whom to fall in love with? Or is it the other way around?
    I was thinking emotivist.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure I can... I've done this before, actually, and I'm afraid to do it again, because it's dangerous when not reciprocated, and it isn't so easy to undo.

In the Reinin dichotomies, Constructivist/Emotivist seems to relate to this.

EDIT: I do invoke lesser emotions, such as sadness or the warm fuzzies, in myself every so often for fun.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you can control it, is it real?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    if you can control it, is it real?
    Can you control when your front door opens? Is it real?

If you cannot control it, you cannot control yourself.

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. If I could control it, I wouldn't have chosen to be almost clinically insane for the past few years.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    I'm not sure that was the smartest thing to do
    That's why you're here. :wink:
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conscious vs. unconscious functions?

Why are you here?
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    I don't see a contradiction. and if you pay more attention to this... you will discover that the word "balance" will change into "peace".

As a beautiful prayer puts it: "For it is by self-forgetting that one finds."
    I tend to think that security leads to lack of anxiety/angst. When you know everything is okay, you don't fuss about stuff. Sounds really basic, but most people fuss about WAAYYYYY too much.

I recently started another job, one in which I work with "normal" people (that is, people other than myself and my hyper-EJ ESE boss) has made me realize how petty and self-serving most people are. And how directly good leadership correlates with a lack of this ego-protecting behavior. You have to do what makes the most sense for you economically and yet not feel the need to be self-serving at the same time. I guess it comes down to knowing that if you focus on others, the business will make money, and if the business makes money as the result of your involvement, then you will be valuable to the business and they'll compensate you in order to keep you there providing that value to their business.

As long as everyone wins, I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post
    Self-types IEI. I'm starting to think IEE, seriously.
    Really? I thought I saw some Te. It's very possible htat this stuff isn't type related though. (:
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to some sources I read, you can't if you're NT. It either happens or doesn't happen completely unconsciously.

discuss.
    Maybe, but then how would we know?
    SEE

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love is a choice.

You might fall in-love with someone, but it's not necessarily going to last.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed.
    SEE

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I know the pattern and can theoretically control the "Who" part. "Why" is easy to control. "Where" and "How" don't make any sense. I can't control "When."
    Last edited by DirectorAbbie; 10-19-2009 at 06:13 PM.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    "Where" and "How" don't many and sense.
    Huhwhat? You mean "don't make any sense"?

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Huhwhat? You mean "don't make any sense"?
    Fall in love at the park? In the kitchen? Driving to work and suddenly realize you're in love? Bonkers.

How many ways are there to fall in love?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

discuss.
    It is a tricky issue and I guess it also depends a lot on what you understand by love. I believe that if you are careful, you can prevent falling in love for someone you are attracted to. So you can control love from this point of view. However, creating what most understand by love in the absence of attraction is way harder.

Love, objectively is marked by aid, comfort and acceptance. If you find someone you are remotely attracted to, remove all ideas of finding someone else better and focus on aid, comfort and acceptance, you might arrive at a stage where you will discover that you actually love that person.

If you learn to love, the real love, that... all this ceases to be very very important. You will be able to love a lot of people and I think you will be able to pick a favorite.
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

I chose Love

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a tricky issue and I guess it also depends a lot on what you understand by love. I believe that if you are careful, you can prevent falling in love for someone you are attracted to. So you can control love from this point of view. However, creating what most understand by love in the absence of attraction is way harder.

Love, objectively is marked by aid, comfort and acceptance. If you find someone you are remotely attracted to, remove all ideas of finding someone else better and focus on aid, comfort and acceptance, you might arrive at a stage where you will discover that you actually love that person.

If you learn to love, the real love, that... all this ceases to be very very important. You will be able to love a lot of people
    Yes!

and I think you will be able to pick a favorite.
    YouTube - Love
    Is that deepak chopra? It sounds like him.
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Is that deepak chopra? It sounds like him.
    Nope, that's Anthony de Mello. My favorite spiritual teacher.
    "What is love?"
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

I chose Love

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My comment about the youtube video:

I think that much of what he's talking about is just selflessness. (He does seem to confuse loving with being loved in some parts though.) This is something I was just thinking about tonight, actually. What separates me from the other people I work with? The answer was that most of them are focused on what's best for themselves while I'm focused on what's best for everyone, what's best for the customers, and what's best for the business.
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The answer was that most of them are focused on what's best for themselves while I'm focused on what's best for everyone, what's best for the customers, and what's best for the business.
    You have a different understanding of what's best for you! that's all.
    You are selfish, just like everybody else.
    "What is love?"
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

I chose Love

Creepy-male

Yup! I really delight in that sort of view. I'm totally self-centered and selfish because I like people I like to be happy and to be enjoying excellent quality of life

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, that's Anthony de Mello. My favorite spiritual teacher.
    I don't have a favorite at present. I was really focused on that stuff for a while, but now I just have a "working theory" for myself (several, actually), but I just focus on what I need to do to move forward with my life. I guess I decided that intellectualism and spiritualism are great, but humanity won't move forward unless individuals are looking out for their own best interests. If everyone sits around thinking about spirituality the whole day, who will focus on what's necessary to move forward technologically? Or to run the existing factories and systems?

You have a different understanding of what's best for you! that's all.
    Haha, so true. I can't see through anyone's eyes but my own, after all.

That said, I do notice that people tend to gravitate towards me professionally because I'm not as self-seeking as most people are. I think of it as professionalism.

And yes! I do realize that this seemingly contradicts the other thing I just said.

I've found a balance. (:
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just focus on what I need to do to move forward with my life. I guess I decided that intellectualism and spiritualism are great, but humanity won't move forward unless individuals are looking out for their own best interests.
    That is the highest form of spirituality in my eyes. Evolution towards something better.

The only way you can move forward is to offer a better service to those around you. The better the service the better your valuation in society. Now, if everyone would focus on providing a better service you get so much value put into the world that most of the world problems would collapse under the weight of this value.
    "What is love?"
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

I chose Love

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That said, I do notice that people tend to gravitate towards me professionally because I'm not as self-seeking as most people are. I think of it as professionalism.

And yes! I do realize that this seemingly contradicts the other thing I just said.

I've found a balance. (:
    I don't see a contradiction. and if you pay more attention to this... you will discover that the word "balance" will change into "peace".

As a beautiful prayer puts it: "For it is by self-forgetting that one finds."
    "What is love?"
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

I chose Love

Creepy-Cyclops

I can't quite remember the first time I realised I had fallen in love with myself, I couldn't help it, i'm just so great AND i'm my identical.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I can't quite remember the first time I realised I had fallen in love with myself, I couldn't help it, i'm just so great AND i'm my identical.
    HALL OF FAME'D

Dude, I think I'm in love with you. Come back to Delta to be with me :redface:

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

discuss.
    i'm an NT. since I discovered dating sites I have much more control with who I date.

Before that, it was indeed pure luck/coincidence etc.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I can influence it, but I can't choose the Who.

I always know why, when, and how. I can subvert it with some brakes if needed, but I can't force myself to luv anyone.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point (after having fallen for a few people that I didn't want to and been unable to convince myself to stay with someone who made sense in my head), I don't think we get to decide who we love. We can decide who we're with to some extent though. It's easier to leave someone you love than to stay with someone you don't.

The only think I could have done to avoid falling for the few I did was to completely cut contact. That didn't feel like an option to me at the time though because I was sooooo drawn to them.
    SEE

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Falling in love is just a chemistry, the smell and the imperfections in the aesthetic spectrum. You can't choose when, with whom, or how your body works and conscious choosing of falling in love is not really falling in love itself. It's more or less just a rational decision.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My trouble kicks in once I get too close to some of them physically. The last two times I fell in love was with Betas. One was my IEI ex, who kissed me in an unique way hitting me against a wall. The other was a recent affair with this SLE or EIE I met online, the type I was totally not looking for: mad, drunkard, strictly into literature/writing, unable to have a relationship. However, what I felt that first night with her marked me for life, and made me go through all that shit the last few weeks. This does not mean I fall for any woman I fuck with: quite a few of them were too "heavy", fake, bland, or something like that. I suppose I can choose, just my criterion is eroticism, which is irrational (relationships don't necessarily work).
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model