29. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

8 27.59%
  • no

14 48.28%
  • depends (please tell)

7 24.14%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can you choose with whom, when/how/where/why to fall in love?

Creepy-Cyclops

I can't quite remember the first time I realised I had fallen in love with myself, I couldn't help it, i'm just so great AND i'm my identical.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I can't quite remember the first time I realised I had fallen in love with myself, I couldn't help it, i'm just so great AND i'm my identical.
    HALL OF FAME'D

Dude, I think I'm in love with you. Come back to Delta to be with me :redface:

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    That's what I used to think until I read that article.
    Where is this article?

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    I'm pretty sure I can... I've done this before, actually, and I'm afraid to do it again, because it's dangerous when not reciprocated, and it isn't so easy to undo.

In the Reinin dichotomies, Constructivist/Emotivist seems to relate to this.

EDIT: I do invoke lesser emotions, such as sadness or the warm fuzzies, in myself every so often for fun.
    So are emotivists more likely to 'choose' whom to fall in love with? Or is it the other way around?

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post
    I think what type influences is what you ultimately decide to do with those feelings. You can't control them, though, regardless of type.
    Agree 100%

I can't control who I fall in love with or the circumstances when it occurs. I can't will myself to love someone I don't love. Either I have the feelings of love or I don't.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    I can't control who I fall in love with or the circumstances when it occurs. I can't will myself to love someone I don't love. Either I have the feelings of love or I don't.
    You're an LII! You're not meant to think dangerous things like that! Feelings are bad and must be controlled!

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    So are emotivists more likely to 'choose' whom to fall in love with? Or is it the other way around?
    I was thinking emotivist.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't stop myself from liking someone (unless I decided to cut off all communication or something) but I think I can have some influence on making myself like a person, mostly in the case of that person would be good for me but the interest isnt necessarily there.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Im not using apostrophes because I cant find them on this German computer!
    Try copy-pasting someone else's.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diana.... ISTj!
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can probably will myself to love someone but the problem is... the willing. I can't will ANYthing unless my heart's in it. So there's this sort of catch-22.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the real question is "do you want to?"

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    I sound terribly cold. :frown:
    I think this about all your posts, quite honestly. I secretly want you to let go and start enjoying yourself, but you're so burdened by rational thought.
    The saddest ESFj

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    I can probably will myself to love someone but the problem is... the willing. I can't will ANYthing unless my heart's in it. So there's this sort of catch-22.
    +1
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sound terribly cold. :frown: I want to love and be loved, but I really don't think I'm the sort of person anyone should be in a relationship with. I never have any real idea what I'm doing. I'm great at talking about relationships though, figuring out the nuts and bolts, and making it all seem simple and easy.
    I very much relate to this. It's exactly the way I used to feel. I even said that anyone would be crazy to be in a relationship with me. Never knowing what I want or how I feel has made it extremely difficult to know when I should be getting into and staying in relationships.

Fortunately, now I have someone who knows me better than I know myself. If I'm upset about something, he usually knows it before I do.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can. And it's not even very difficult. Stopping myself from falling for someone I don't want to is much much harder. It takes a lot of conscious detachment, which isn't easy.

I have a lot of difficulty with relationships because of this though. I don't know how to figure out who's actually good for me and who isn't. I can't base my decisions on how I feel about them, because I know that I can change how I feel if I want to. Mostly this is from not really being able to read my own feelings too, and so adjusting how I interpret them, and my behavior to reflect what I've decided I should - although sometimes my reactions surprise me. I do some things without knowing why I've done them.

So, instead, I base it on how they show me they feel about me. It's based on how someone treats me, and if I feel appreciated and loved by them. If I feel like I'm not treated with love, or respect, and I don't feel appreciated or desired then I can't justify being with that person.

I sound terribly cold. :frown: I want to love and be loved, but I really don't think I'm the sort of person anyone should be in a relationship with. I never have any real idea what I'm doing. I'm great at talking about relationships though, figuring out the nuts and bolts, and making it all seem simple and easy. Sort of the way Bullets and Doves is always giving advice for everyone to "go out and do something real, and stop ranting about insignificant things!" If he really knew how to do that, that's what he'd be doing, not just talking about it.
    Wow. I can't remember the last time I related so much to one person's attitude towards relationships: I feel like I know everything about them, but I don't know if I could actually be in a successful relationship.

I give all of my friends relationship advice, and it's good advice and I help people through their rough times and it all works out hunky dory, but I'll be damned if I could even take my own advice in a relationship. I have serious doubts that I will ever actually have a "successful relationship;" I'm willing to make the sacrifices, I accept people I am close to implicitly, but I don't have the initiative and I'm incredibly insecure about what those close to me think of me; relationships and close friendships usually turn into this torturous game of wanting to be seen for who I really am, but also wanting to be seen as admirable and worthy and amazing, and I wind up spending all my energy walking this emotional tight rope and being SO fucking frustrated that people won't just see me as I see myself. This basically amounts to my only successful close friendships being with people who just sort of take me at "face value," who don't really try to get to know me on a way deeper level or help me deal with my emotions, but instead help me with problems on a concrete level and let me writhe in self-torture on my own time. It's almost like, once I've shown someone a certain side of myself, I've dug open the ground over this gaping wound in my world, and as soon as they see it I have to cover it up and pretend like they never saw it. Some people stop and look at the wound, and in my mind I'm saying "Yes, treat my wounds!" so they stoop over and try to fix it, but then I want to move on and they just want to sit there bandaging my wounds and I get frustrated and try to fill in the hole while they sit there and plant a fucking monument over it so they don't ask any more goddamn questions. But some people just sort of waltz right over the wound, and it's obvious they saw it and felt it but they just smile and keep walking around on my surface like nothing ever happened, so I stand there dumfounded for a moment, hardly believing it, then I hastily rebury the wound and then bound after them.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe you need someone who will slap your ass and tell you to fucking relax? Tell you that you're fine and you should stop worrying so much?
    SEE

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't choose to fall in love with somebody I am not falling in love with, but I can stop myself from falling in love with somebody I am falling in love with. I don't like to do it anyway, I've only done it once when the girl had a boyfriend and they were obviously happy toghether, yet we were attracted to each other and some fuckup could have caused grief in her relationship without giving us any chance of being 2ghether. I think every girl could easily fall in love and be in a relationship with me anyway, I'm Italian...

The answer was that most of them are focused on what's best for themselves while I'm focused on what's best for everyone, what's best for the customers, and what's best for the business.
    Yet you still manage to fuck up everything.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

lol Does it piss you off when I act like that? I don't know....I know from personal experience that doing things and living life is better than just psychoanalyzing shit though, even if I'm not following my own advice at the time. You're right, I'm most likely just talking myself into something than anything else, but it feels better to focus on others rather than yourself, it makes you feel too insecure and self-conscious just always focusing on yourself. I think though realistically we're all too generally smart for that, so we have to have a life of ideals and theories. Idk it's just I've always liked being on the internet constantly I'm not sure if it will change?

I have the same issues you do Diana with how people feel about me, cause it's just usually too complex to think of a simple answer.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah... it's about changing your mind. Can you change your mind? Only to something that you believe in the first place! So deliberately falling in love with someone isn't about having control of yourself... it's about changing your emotions to match something that matters more to you than emotions.

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah... it's about changing your mind. Can you change your mind? Only to something that you believe in the first place! So deliberately falling in love with someone isn't about having control of yourself... it's about changing your emotions to match something that matters more to you than emotions.
    If you don't know what you believe and if what you thought mattered most no longer matters most, then you're vulnerable to your emotions taking control.

(try to avoid finding yourself in this position if you can help it!)
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don't know what you believe and if what you thought mattered most no longer matters most, then you're vulnerable to your emotions taking control.

(try to avoid finding yourself in this position if you can help it!)
    I'd be more worried about thinking that something matters most to me because other people think that it should matter most to me.

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be more worried about thinking that something matters most to me because other people think that it should matter most to me.
    yes, I agree with that also.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I can say I've ever been in love.

However, as far as falling for someone and whether or not I can control with whom I fall for, is something I cannot do at all. There is also never any sort of correlation it seems between who is good for me and who I fall for. In fact, I'm pretty sure I fall for people who are horrible for me.

Oh well.

Fuck, half the time I can't even understand if I like the person. I have weak emotions.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    According to some sources I read, you can't if you're NT. It either happens or doesn't happen completely unconsciously.

discuss.
    i'm an NT. since I discovered dating sites I have much more control with who I date.

Before that, it was indeed pure luck/coincidence etc.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Maybe you need someone who will slap your ass and tell you to fucking relax? Tell you that you're fine and you should stop worrying so much?
    Pretty much.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I can make myself love someone. I feel what I feel. My feelings are very important to me. I want to know what I feel, not change my feelings, especially if I don't know exactly what they are in the first place. Also I think that trying to make myself love someone who I don't love would be betraying myself and really unfair to that person who deserves someone who actually does love them rather than someone who is trying to force themselves to have feelings they don't have. I'd much rather just be alone than do something like that (though I don't think it would be successful in my case anyway).

People can grow on me though... I can come to like people that I didn't think I would ever like. But that too involves my feelings about them changing on their own (I just mean friendships mostly) and then my realizing my feelings have changed.

I do think I can prevent myself to some extent from falling in love with someone if I distance myself and my mind from them before it's too late. After it's too late, there really isn't any going back and I will be stuck (because I can't change my feelings). This is why I try to be careful now. I've been in love with someone for years before (though I don't know if I can say "in love" or not - I'm not sure now that I'm looking back) and I was rather stuck and I don't really want to go back to that (I want to be even more careful).

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The biggest revelation for me, and the most surprising one - is that being in relationships with people made me realize that I am actually a very shallow person, I'm really not as deep as I thought. =/ And it made me feel guilty, cause I kinda always beefed up and respected my 'human depthness' but it was all a load of shit. I am SO superficial, and the most important thing to me is if we 'look good.' I am very image focused. And really, the stereotype tends to be true, very good looking people are usually arrogant because they can afford to be, so I feel kinda pulled/conflicted inside. I just easily notice image problems people can change, even if I'm a hypocrite and I know I'm average myself. I guess it's a gay thing. ;p

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I know the pattern and can theoretically control the "Who" part. "Why" is easy to control. "Where" and "How" don't make any sense. I can't control "When."
    Last edited by DirectorAbbie; 10-19-2009 at 06:13 PM.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    "Where" and "How" don't many and sense.
    Huhwhat? You mean "don't make any sense"?

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Huhwhat? You mean "don't make any sense"?
    Fall in love at the park? In the kitchen? Driving to work and suddenly realize you're in love? Bonkers.

How many ways are there to fall in love?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

a gazillion, my dear!
    Really? Please list them.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fall in love at the park? In the kitchen? Driving to work and suddenly realize you're in love? Bonkers.
    I was mainly correcting your grammar.

How many ways are there to fall in love?
    Sit on a pin, jump up in surprise, crash into someone and knock him flat... and suddenly you're in love. Shall I continue?

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I was mainly correcting your grammar.

Sit on a pin, jump up in surprise, crash into someone and knock him flat... and suddenly you're in love. Shall I continue?
    No, you were correcting my spelling. My grammar is excellent as usual.

...that's bonkers too. That's what happens in cartoons because they don't want to bother taking the usual amount of time. Does it ever happen that way in real life? If so, my answer would be that I can't control how.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I can influence it, but I can't choose the Who.

I always know why, when, and how. I can subvert it with some brakes if needed, but I can't force myself to luv anyone.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point (after having fallen for a few people that I didn't want to and been unable to convince myself to stay with someone who made sense in my head), I don't think we get to decide who we love. We can decide who we're with to some extent though. It's easier to leave someone you love than to stay with someone you don't.

The only think I could have done to avoid falling for the few I did was to completely cut contact. That didn't feel like an option to me at the time though because I was sooooo drawn to them.
    SEE

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Falling in love is just a chemistry, the smell and the imperfections in the aesthetic spectrum. You can't choose when, with whom, or how your body works and conscious choosing of falling in love is not really falling in love itself. It's more or less just a rational decision.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My trouble kicks in once I get too close to some of them physically. The last two times I fell in love was with Betas. One was my IEI ex, who kissed me in an unique way hitting me against a wall. The other was a recent affair with this SLE or EIE I met online, the type I was totally not looking for: mad, drunkard, strictly into literature/writing, unable to have a relationship. However, what I felt that first night with her marked me for life, and made me go through all that shit the last few weeks. This does not mean I fall for any woman I fuck with: quite a few of them were too "heavy", fake, bland, or something like that. I suppose I can choose, just my criterion is eroticism, which is irrational (relationships don't necessarily work).
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12