Thread: Healthy Narcissism

Hybrid View

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Depends on whether it's at the expense of other people or not, whether or not it's healthy. If you're so self-absorbed that you're blind to how you're affecting others with your behavior - that's unhealthy. If you however, are self-confident, self-assured, and know your strengths, but also recognize the strengths and value of other people, then you're on the right track.
    What if you are aware of how your actions might affect negatively others, but you do it anyway because you believe that's the best way to do something?

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just like to look at my own face ;-;
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Then it's something else we're talking about. There is very much an other-blindness with narcissism. It's truly blindness, not maliciousness or practicality, or anything else. They are so self-absorbed that other people and their needs don't even register.
    I agree. "Healthy Narcissism" is not really narcissism at all. It might be more accurate to talk about "Healthy Selfishness".

Not that I think either is ideal. I think others-centredness (selfless love) is essential to a healthy and fulfilling life. That doesn't mean neglecting the self entirely, mind you -- a run-down, neglected self is less able to help others. But, as far as I am concerned, the good of others should always take priority over the good of the self.
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    I agree. "Healthy Narcissism" is not really narcissism at all. It might be more accurate to talk about "Healthy Selfishness".

Not that I think either is ideal. I think others-centredness (selfless love) is essential to a healthy and fulfilling life. That doesn't mean neglecting the self entirely, mind you -- a run-down, neglected self is less able to help others. But, as far as I am concerned, the good of others should always take priority over the good of the self.
    Nuh-uh. You are confusing narcissism the psychological trait with the pejorative narcissism, in the sense of a narcissistic personality disorder.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Nuh-uh. You are confusing narcissism the psychological trait with the pejorative narcissism, in the sense of a narcissistic personality disorder.
    Hmm, you're right, that is what I was primarily referring to. Still, the phrase "Healthy Narcissism" sounds silly to me, like "Healthy Vanity" or "Healthy Hubris". It refers to the myth of Narcissus, who was cursed to fall in love with his own reflection. In my opinion, if it's being used non-pejoratively, then it's being misused.
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    Hmm, you're right, that is what I was primarily referring to. Still, the phrase "Healthy Narcissism" sounds silly to me, like "Healthy Vanity" or "Healthy Hubris". It refers to the myth of Narcissus, who was cursed to fall in love with his own reflection. In my opinion, if it's being used non-pejoratively, then it's being misused.
    "I don't like the sound of it, therefore it's wrong." Is that what you are saying?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box