Thread: Which places are "Delta"?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deltas could probably live anywhere, but...

ESTj, Washington D.C. -- structure, government jobs, things are pretty clean.

INFj, in the suburbs of a big city -- pretty surroundings and some nature are important.

ENFp, New York City -- variety, nightlife, new people, artsy stuff.

ISTp, on the edge of town -- anywhere laid back with easy access to outdoor sports, e.g. mountain biking, surfing, etc.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Creepy-male

Or combine all four into Canberra, Australia.

Sucked in, America.

A Tiger livin' in a zoo.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post

Sucked in, America.
    I wouldn't live in Canberra even if you paid me in gold nuggets and chocolate truffles.

Melbourne is the IEE capital of Australia.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wrong Way Ticket View Post
    I wouldn't live in Canberra even if you paid me in gold nuggets and chocolate truffles.

Melbourne is the IEE capital of Australia.
    You say that like it's necessarily a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post

Sucked in, America.
    Canberra's more of a hole than Adelaide.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Errant View Post
    Canberra's more of a hole than Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant View Post
    You say that like it's necessarily a good thing.
    My thoughts exactly.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    Deltas could probably live anywhere, but...

ESTj, Washington D.C. -- structure, government jobs, things are pretty clean.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not LA, and probably not NYC so much, either. Although I actually like NYC somewhat. I like DC more though.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of Northeast US, especially the New England region, perhaps with a few exceptions that mostly tend to lean towards Gamma. In Europe, I think most of Scandinavia and certain places in the western Mediterranean region, including France. Australia and New Zealand are hugely Delta. Much of Southern Africa, too. I'm not sure about Asia, but I would guess Japan and places like Hong Kong could be very Delta.
    Last edited by Park; 09-14-2009 at 01:20 AM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everybody would want to live in a mansion that the LSE bought, like Phillip Banks on "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air"; they'd all want to have their own rooms there.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfect for ISTp: the mountains of Cali
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

states i think are notoriously delta:

colorado, vermont, california(parts), oregon and washington.
    asd

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    I would guess Japan... could be very Delta.
    I've been living in Japan almost 2 years now, but I'm not sure how to comment since I don't really know what makes a place Delta as opposed to some other quadra. I understand that Delta's may enjoy living in a place, but if say, Alphas also enjoy living in the same place then what are the criteria for considering it Delta rather than Alpha?

Doing my best to provide something interesting to the conversation though, Japan has always struck me as very ISTp as a whole. There is quite a lot of variation depending on where exactly in Japan you are, but I think most people can probably see how it is a very Si country. There's so much emphasis placed on daily ritual, maintaining health, and being present in the time and place that you are. While there are of course pretty wild fashions and subcultures in bigger cities, most of Japan's aesthetics are very neat, tidy, pleasing, and subdued. Modern fashion here seems to have a fascination with the colour beige. Graphic t-shirts are basically nonexistent and one of the fastest ways to spot Americans in a crowd. Simple patterns or solid colours are preferred, and clothing is generally all matching and often looks like it was bought as a complete set rather than as separate pieces. Most people here don't want to impress upon others a particular image, and would rather blend in while expressing their own taste rather subtly. Pretty much no one goes out in sweatpants and a hoodie or anything that might look too 'lazy.' There are clear societal norms around self-expression and most people follow them rather closely. People love to travel domestically on holidays and enjoy the different regions' unique 'thing' whatever their 'thing' happens to be. Every region almost invariable advertises how comfortable it is though. Ads that emphasize adventure are relatively rare. There is definitely a love of nature, but it feels distinctly more Si than Se to me.

Te is also readily noticeable in Japan. In particular in its somewhat infamous work culture. They teach you to respond to superiors with the shortest answers possible. Don't explain, just answer the question yes or no. Explanations are actually seen as somewhat rude when not requested. Companies here very much evaluate people as cogs in a machine - a thing that of course all companies must do on some level, but Japan takes a bit far at times. What I find a bit odd though is that they do not always do things the most efficient way (which I would think Te would desire), but rather will rigidly stick to the way that things have always been done and are incredibly resistant to any changes to procedure. Companies here are intensely risk-averse to the point that they will let themselves face certain doom rather than taking a risk which might save them even if they have basically nothing to lose. "That's the rule and it was put down for a reason so we can't change it. It's impossible," is a common sentiment. In my workplace I have often tried to introduce changes or suggest novel ways of approaching things that seem very easy to implement to me, but am met with, "It's impossible," even when it very clearly is anything but impossible. When pressed they also tend to give very odd round-about rationalizations for why certain rules must be followed, as though they themselves have no clue why the rule exists and are simply trying to provide some answer so you'll just stop questioning it and follow the program.

Let me know if anyone thinks I have assessed these things as the incorrect elements, but that's how I interpret things here
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

context is king
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    not LA, and probably not NYC so much, either. Although I actually like NYC somewhat. I like DC more though.
    I knew a guy (that I typed as a LSE) who once worked in DC as some sort of lawyer in "government affairs"; he used to describe DC as being a place where everyone flocked to the most important and most influential person.

This along with with my impression of politics in general made me think it was a Se and Fe place.

But then again I like to be where things are interesting, happening and cool. So I can sympathise and I guess if you're good at what politicians do, it would a good move regardless of type.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just like the city. It was clean. Nice to see monuments, etc. I haven't lived there. But I enjoyed walking around it a lot.

context is king
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    I just like the city. It was clean. Nice to see monuments, etc. I haven't lived there. But I enjoyed walking around it a lot.
    In London the government buildings are built to look as if they symbolises the stable centre of a "great" and ancient nation; you almost have the impression that if the buildings (and surrounding areas) are allowed to disintegrate the entire country will too.

No idea of exactly what it means socionically... Se? Si? ESTj? ISTJ? Aristocracy? Fe?

Anyway... just saying.